Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

France National strike Jan 9 - AA in, connecting CDG

Old Jan 7, 20, 6:10 am
Original Poster

I am currently scheduled to fly PHL to CDG overnight arriving on Jan 9 with an onward connection on AF to TUN. AA has currently not made a travel alert. I received an email from AF saying expect delays and cancellations. How bad was the December strikes? Does anyone have any experience? How likely is an AA travel alert with free changes? I was hoping to do ORD to MAD and catch a Tunisia Air flight into TUN. But currently there is a big fare difference.

Last edited by chris8796; Jan 7, 20 at 6:11 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Nephew and wife, just returned from 3 week honeymoon in France. They said the biggest hassle is that all public transportation was on strike. They had to walk everywhere the first two weeks in Paris. They are both 20's and fit, so able to do it.
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: ex-US Gold, Accor Silver, AF apologist
If I would have to guess, I would predict that this Thursday will not be quite as bad as the initial national strike last December. The French news last night had a report on how, after a month of protest, the strikers cannot afford to miss much more work. Although many unions hope this Thursday will bring more people out (and it probably will), many are getting tired and need the money, so will show up to work. For flights, Air France tends to cancel domestic flights first and keep longer and mid-range ones going (as much as possible), I would wager that TUN flight goes. The only trouble may be if the air traffic goes on strike. If that is the case, AA should reroute you via a different airport. Bonne chance!
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapboyPHL View Post
If I would have to guess, I would predict that this Thursday will not be quite as bad as the initial national strike last December. The French news last night had a report on how, after a month of protest, the strikers cannot afford to miss much more work. Although many unions hope this Thursday will bring more people out (and it probably will), many are getting tired and need the money, so will show up to work. For flights, Air France tends to cancel domestic flights first and keep longer and mid-range ones going (as much as possible), I would wager that TUN flight goes. The only trouble may be if the air traffic goes on strike. If that is the case, AA should reroute you via a different airport. Bonne chance!

Thanks for your opinion.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:44 am

The news should just report when the French arenít on strike. 3 of my last 5 trips hit, but December the worst with almost no public transport and near riots at some stations due to crowding and pushing.

At least CDG was operating at its normal level of disaster haha.
boss315 and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
The news should just report when the French arenít on strike. 3 of my last 5 trips hit, but December the worst with almost no public transport and near riots at some stations due to crowding and pushing.

At least CDG was operating at its normal level of disaster haha.
That reminds me of my first trip to France in 1989. I had purchased a 7 day air pass from Air France for a good price.
On what I had planned to be my only day in Corsica, they were protesting a water tax or a water rate hike, or something like that.
The would block the roads for periods of time. It seems like at least every other visit to France there was a protest about something
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:30 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP
There is a travel alert now.
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
There is a strike of Air France personnel from 6th - 9th January. I'll watch the news on French TV tonight and see if I can get ay better update tonight
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope the OP has a fairly long connecting time at CDG as lines can be long, even when there isn't a strike.
enpremiere likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: