Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MarkOK
United connectionsaver holds flights for an average of 6 minutes , they operate it at ORD, and they claim to have saved about 3-4,000 connections per month. Even without having the software, giving GAs a flexible 2-3 minutes to wait on door closure when they need to accommodate a few passengers running at the gate is very doable without hurting anyone, while helping many.

For a customer on a paid J seat that is possibly making a connection, I would argue the 'upgrade' should wait until the doors are (practically) closed. For empty seats, by all means upgrades should be processed before boarding starts, but every effort should be made to protect a paid seat for a customer that has any chance of making a tight connection.

Yet, united seems perfectly happy holding flights for 6 minutes at ORD. From March 1, 2019-Jan 1, 2020, ORD-departing flights, United has 22.55% of their flights late, while AA has 24.89% of their flights late. I would argue that the statistics show that T-10 door closure vs a more flexible approach when needed is not in any way "the best for the most".

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/ONTIME/OriginAirport.aspx
To be clear, the UA branded ConnectionSaver (no different than roughly similar software available to both DL and AA Ops people) may or may not hold a given flight. That all depends on multiple factors available to the Ops people and that includes the consequences of the delay.

AA routinely holds flights such as this, but "routinely" does not mean "every." Neither you nor I have access to the specific data for this flight, nor are we the Ops people who control all of this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:22 am
J S

AA is responsible for causing OP to miss daughter's birth

I absolutely share the OP's frustration (anger?) and would be far less measured in my post than he was. AA caused the delay and should have held his seat knowing when his flight was arriving and that he had a chance to make it. It isn't even a question of delaying the flight since boarding was still under way. Worst possible outcome for AA would have been one empty J class seat.

As for missing the birth of OP's daughter, AA is on the hook (morally if not legally). This is not because they (or OP) knew the delay would result in missing the birth--neither did. However, if you carry 200 million passengers per year and treat your obligation to deliver them to their destination on time and with the service they paid for with such a cavalier attitude, the rule of large numbers means that some of AA's decisions will result in terrible outcomes (missing the birth or death of a family member, etc.).

Here's an analogy: let's say you drive very fast every day. Most days, you do so safely, but one day a child steps in front of your car and you don't stop in time. Of course, you didn't know that a child would step in front of your car on that specific day. But, your decision to drive very fast every day means that if you drive 1,000 or 10,000 days, one day your decision to drive very fast will have a terrible outcome. In this case, AA's decision to treat its obligations (ethical if not legal) as optional usually only means a customer misses a meeting, a day of vacation or a child's birthday (which is still bad), but every so often, the impact is much worse. AA surely understands this, but they just don't care.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ralph4878
I am wondering, though, why the OP thinks the airline should compensate him because of a medical emergency that led to the early birth of his child...what control or responsibility does the airline have on that? To my knowledge, AA has no control over someone's medical conditions, unless their actions cause it.
The OP is not asking for compensation because of the medical emergency.

The OP is asking for compensation because an AA employee overslept and caused a delay that was otherwise avoidable. AA could have activated a reserve FA, but didn’t for whatever reason. Again, completely on them.

If you showed up late to your flight, most airlines try to charge you to rebook. But when a FA does it and it causes revenue pax to misconnect, nothing is due? What an unfair and one-sides relationship.

Anyways, the OP could have made the original flight. If the GA has less attitude and more work ethic, they could have gone onboard and vacated the OP’s seat, but they didn’t care to do so. Probably because they put one of their non rev friends into the seat.

If I were OP, I would contact Parker’s Office and or file a DOT complaint so someone with a brain looks at this. Then, I would assume the person in your seat was a NRSA, and ask AA for a full refund of the entire outbound of the ticket. Their contract was to get you to PUS on your originally booked flights, and chose not to do so to seat an employee flying (basically) for free instead.

If it wasn’t a NRSA, let them come back and say that (but I am 99% certain it was NRSA). But ask for compensation assuming it was.

They had control in multiple cases and failed horribly due to incompetence or apathy. Neither is acceptable. The fact that their errors had an externality of you missing your daughter’s birth just rubs salt in the wound.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by J S
However, if you carry 200 million passengers per year and treat your obligation to deliver them to their destination on time and with the service they paid for with such a cavalier attitude, the rule of large numbers means that some of AA's decisions will result in terrible outcomes (missing the birth or death of a family member, etc.).
Ding ding ding. What a succinct summary of the current state of AA’s apathy towards customers!
J S and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
For a customer on a paid J seat that is possibly making a connection, I would argue the 'upgrade' should wait until the doors are (practically) closed. For empty seats, by all means upgrades should be processed before boarding starts, but every effort should be made to protect a paid seat for a customer that has any chance of making a tight connection.
Have you read any of the upgrade complaint threads recently?!
Processing an upgrade on international requires reticketing, charging the co-pay if it's a mileage upgrade, etc. I think the GAs are in a tight spot when they see a late-arriving connection. I'm sure there's some Murphy's law that as soon as they remove a misconnect and process the seat as an upgrade, the passenger comes running to the gate.

I don't know what the right answer is, in the moment, there are obviously various priorities (paid J pax, EXP on waitlist, on-time statistic) that can conflict. I guess T-15m is a starting point (for losing a seat assignment, and I guess potentially a cabin assignment), but how much flexibility should there be? They could set some threshold where the seat of a potential misconnect can only be released if the actual connection time is, say less than 15 or 20 minutes (from actual arrival of inbound to scheduled departure of outbound). But then seats might go empty.

Regardless, I think the "after-the-fact" needs to be handled much better. They should bend over backwards to get you on another flight in your original class of service and/or they should have more specific guidelines in place regarding downgrade compensation/refunds. Everyone here expects AA to only offer the difference between walk-up Y and the original fare paid (which in many cases could be negative!), and you have to fight for more. The CoC last I checked only mentioned an "appropriate" refund. Well, how about you define that more specifically? How about throw a voucher on top of that? Or a meaningful number of miles?
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Have you read any of the upgrade complaint threads recently?!
Processing an upgrade on international requires reticketing, charging the co-pay if it's a mileage upgrade, etc. I think the GAs are in a tight spot when they see a late-arriving connection. I'm sure there's some Murphy's law that as soon as they remove a misconnect and process the seat as an upgrade, the passenger comes running to the gate.

I don't know what the right answer is, in the moment, there are obviously various priorities (paid J pax, EXP on waitlist, on-time statistic) that can conflict. I guess T-15m is a starting point (for losing a seat assignment, and I guess potentially a cabin assignment), but how much flexibility should there be? They could set some threshold where the seat of a potential misconnect can only be released if the actual connection time is, say less than 15 or 20 minutes (from actual arrival of inbound to scheduled departure of outbound). But then seats might go empty.

Regardless, I think the "after-the-fact" needs to be handled much better. They should bend over backwards to get you on another flight in your original class of service and/or they should have more specific guidelines in place regarding downgrade compensation/refunds. Everyone here expects AA to only offer the difference between walk-up Y and the original fare paid (which in many cases could be negative!), and you have to fight for more. The CoC last I checked only mentioned an "appropriate" refund. Well, how about you define that more specifically? How about throw a voucher on top of that? Or a meaningful number of miles?
Apparently the agent handling the reroute believed that she had rerouted into F. That would have been a substantial customer service gesture. Not sure where that went wrong, but it really does point to the importance of checking one's paperwork in a situation such as this. Perhaps that very nice gesture could have been fixed if brought to the agent's immediate attention.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The OP is not asking for compensation because of the medical emergency.

The OP is asking for compensation because an AA employee overslept and caused a delay that was otherwise avoidable. AA could have activated a reserve FA, but didn’t for whatever reason. Again, completely on them.

If you showed up late to your flight, most airlines try to charge you to rebook. But when a FA does it and it causes revenue pax to misconnect, nothing is due? What an unfair and one-sides relationship.

Anyways, the OP could have made the original flight. If the GA has less attitude and more work ethic, they could have gone onboard and vacated the OP’s seat, but they didn’t care to do so. Probably because they put one of their non rev friends into the seat.

If I were OP, I would contact Parker’s Office and or file a DOT complaint so someone with a brain looks at this. Then, I would assume the person in your seat was a NRSA, and ask AA for a full refund of the entire outbound of the ticket. Their contract was to get you to PUS on your originally booked flights, and chose not to do so to seat an employee flying (basically) for free instead.

If it wasn’t a NRSA, let them come back and say that (but I am 99% certain it was NRSA). But ask for compensation assuming it was.

They had control in multiple cases and failed horribly due to incompetence or apathy. Neither is acceptable. The fact that their errors had an externality of you missing your daughter’s birth just rubs salt in the wound.
Then why does the OP mention that he missed the birth of his child? If that hadn't happened, sure, he would still - as likely anyone would still - be upset that his seat was given away. But the mention that he missed the birth of his child seems to be what he's hinging this complaint on: "I ended up arriving in PUS 24 hours after I was supposed so, and missed the birth of my daughter. Not happy...Wondering if I am due anything for this? I did end up flying in the classes I paid for, but with a 24 hour delay...,".

If the OP had just shared his story as, "I missed my connection due to AA and was subsequently downgraded and a gate agent, from my perspective, was not helpful or professional...," this conversation would likely not be much of anything. But that's not how he presented his situation...
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:09 pm

I find it hard to believe there wasn't a simpler routing. Might have been able to get ORD->ICN on Asiana and then ICN->PUS, but requiring B. class is a big complication.
I have sworn off any routing that requires more than one change of plane, and I try to make that change of plane either a drivable distance to the destination or to a hub with multiple routings. Of course, I've only arrived at that strategy after having missed several flights over the years.

Last edited by pmiranda; Jan 8, 2020 at 12:24 pm Reason: Fixed typo, thanks MSPeconomist!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by J S
Here's an analogy: let's say you drive very fast every day. Most days, you do so safely, but one day a child steps in front of your car and you don't stop in time. Of course, you didn't know that a child would step in front of your car on that specific day. But, your decision to drive very fast every day means that if you drive 1,000 or 10,000 days, one day your decision to drive very fast will have a terrible outcome. In this case, AA's decision to treat its obligations (ethical if not legal) as optional usually only means a customer misses a meeting, a day of vacation or a child's birthday (which is still bad), but every so often, the impact is much worse. AA surely understands this, but they just don't care.
Are you insane? Your analogy makes no sense. A better analogy is that 99 out of 100 days you drive the speed limit, but on the one day you don't you accidentally and through no fault of your own (other than speeding - meaning the kid stepped in front of you at the last second), you hit and strike an individually, killing them. The law does not care. You are liable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I find it hard to believe there wasn't a simpler routing. Might have been able to get ORD->ICN on Aviana and then ICN->PUS, but requiring B. class is a big complication.
I have sworn off any routing that requires more than one change of plane, and I try to make that change of plane either a drivable distance to the destination or to a hub with multiple routings. Of course, I've only arrived at that strategy after having missed several flights over the years.
I think you mean Asiana (OZ), not Avianca which is a South American airline and would not fly ORD-ICN nonstop. Asiana and Korean (KE) are airlines based in South Korea. I don't think KE serves the ORD-ICN route, but there are nonstop DL flights from DTW and MSP to ICN, which would easily connect to partner KE for the PUS domestic flight. KE and SkyTeam use the new T2 and ICN while OZ and its partners use T1; it would be better to avoid the terminal change required on a mixed alliance ticket.

BTW, OP started in BOS and was ticketed to connect in NRT rather than ICN to get to PUS. Either routing makes some sense, although taking a nonstop from BOS to Asia and then connecting to PUS would obviously have been better. IME both JFK and LAX tend to have midnight departures to ICN that in the case of JFK arrives around 5 am. I'm not sure how the SEA-ICN nonstop is scheduled, but the MSP and DTW flights tend to leave the USA in the late morning and arrive into ICN in mid-late afternoon. For PUS, there should be flights from both ICN and Gimpo as well as HND in addition to NRT. When I last checked a couple years ago, one could fly from HKG to PUS too, as well as from some major airports in mainland China (but it would be better to avoid the hassle and potential delays).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 8, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by J S
I absolutely share the OP's frustration (anger?) and would be far less measured in my post than he was. AA caused the delay and should have held his seat knowing when his flight was arriving and that he had a chance to make it. It isn't even a question of delaying the flight since boarding was still under way. Worst possible outcome for AA would have been one empty J class seat.

As for missing the birth of OP's daughter, AA is on the hook (morally if not legally). This is not because they (or OP) knew the delay would result in missing the birth--neither did. However, if you carry 200 million passengers per year and treat your obligation to deliver them to their destination on time and with the service they paid for with such a cavalier attitude, the rule of large numbers means that some of AA's decisions will result in terrible outcomes (missing the birth or death of a family member, etc.).

Analogies never work. Yours is no different than however many others there are on FT.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
...or file a DOT complaint so someone with a brain looks at this. Then, I would assume the person in your seat was a NRSA, and ask AA for a full refund of the entire outbound of the ticket. Their contract was to get you to PUS on your originally booked flights, and chose not to do so to seat an employee flying (basically) for free instead.

I agree 100% with btonkid; skip customer service and go right to the DOT. Corporations like AA have dedicated customer service teams that handle federal complaints, it's going to be one of the quickest and most visible ways to get attention.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint

The least egregious reason was that D0 was more important to the gate agent than helping a customer; the most egregious and in my cynical opinion most likely, is that it was an NSRA.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree 100% with btonkid; skip customer service and go right to the DOT. Corporations like AA have dedicated customer service teams that handle federal complaints, it's going to be one of the quickest and most visible ways to get attention.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint

The least egregious reason was that D0 was more important to the gate agent than helping a customer; the most egregious and in my cynical opinion most likely, is that it was an NSRA.
I guess I am naive, but what is the DOT complaint going to accomplish? AA has filed policies with the DOT that it, at least in this case, seemingly adhered to. The passenger was not at the gate for an international flight at T-30. Consequently, said passenger was “offloaded” and his seat was given away. This is in accordance with AA’s policy. The policy does not read “This only applies if the customer fails to be at the gate for a reason not caused by AA”. He wasn’t there on-time; his seat was given away.

He also ended up flying in the class of service that he paid for. No downgrade or refund or compensation is due there. What he should receive is some kind of goodwill gesture since his late arrival was caused by a delay in the arrival of his incoming AA flight.

Everyone has spent so much time focusing on what event was missed or why they couldn’t un-upgrade the passenger who took his business class seat, etc. However, there hasn’t been much discussion about what he could or should request.

Personally, I would ask for 40,000 miles or an AA voucher for the equivalent and take the discussion (back and forth argument with Customer Relations) from there. However, if something along those lines won’t make the OP happy, then it might be best to let it go.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta, United, but NEVER AA
Theres a reason I avoid American Airlines as much as humanly possible. I never collect AA miles. I refuse to have an AA mileage number.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Reinhardt Kam Criss
I refuse to have an AA mileage number.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.