Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge)

Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfizzle
This has been a really helpful post but I haven't read all of them, but perhaps a summary is in order from my reading that would simply be.

If you paid for a J seat, be patient, don't get flustered, don't immediately accept their downgrade and ask them to fix the problem they created?
And then have them shut the boarding door in your face and tell you the next flight is 2 days later? Which is what happened. So I don't think that's a good summary or necessarily good advice.

There probably wasn't anything the OP could have done to get into J on the original flight, he was effectively between a rock and a hard place given AA's policies and practices. And like I posited earlier in this thread, if his flight was 2 minutes later and he got to the gate after the door had closed, we wouldn't be having any of this discussion.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:25 pm

Another report of AA holding flight for another flight to arrive

Originally Posted by tbd1579
Last week on AA, last flight out PHL-CMH flight was held for about 15 pax. The last 5 to arrive were upgraded at the gate. All pax were on a late to arrive international flight. At least 3 separate reservations. Nobody in the upgraded party had status. Miracles can happen.
Happened to my recent flight , too.

How long was your flight held?

Originally Posted by jordyn
I don't think "routinely" means what you think it means. It's been years since I've even heard of this happening on AA given their relentless focus on D0. Unlike United, which actively manages to minimize misconnects, AA seems to focus exclusively on getting any given flight out on time, regardless of downstream consequences. .
Well, now you've heard of it twice in one day.

I was on a flight recently where they held the flight for almost an hour waiting for connecting pax arriving on another domestic flight.

I don't know if any of them had status, but they all went to the back. Way to the back for most of them.

Originally Posted by jordyn
I

More importantly, in a situation like this where there is in fact time to resolve the problem, AA lacks a customer service culture to encourage and empower its employees to get to a good solution for its high value customers.
True.

The OP's situation could have been resolved quite simply, if AA staff had been so inclined.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And then have them shut the boarding door in your face and tell you the next flight is 2 days later? Which is what happened. So I don't think that's a good summary or necessarily good advice.

There probably wasn't anything the OP could have done to get into J on the original flight, he was effectively between a rock and a hard place given AA's policies and practices. And like I posited earlier in this thread, if his flight was 2 minutes later and he got to the gate after the door had closed, we wouldn't be having any of this discussion.
there are plenty of stories of upgraders being sent back to coach for late arriving passengers
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by beachfan
there are plenty of stories of upgraders being sent back to coach for late arriving passengers
For sure - Lucky on onemileatatime stated in an article today that that was exactly what happened to him - his seat was restored and the ugradee was sent back.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
For sure - Lucky on onemileatatime stated in an article today that that was exactly what happened to him - his seat was restored and the ugradee was sent back.
not all of us can be famous bloggers
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
How is that relevant when the gate agent tells you Y or I'm shutting the door?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.