FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   What compensation can/should I get for my paid J seat given away? (to merge) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2003035-what-compensation-can-should-i-get-my-paid-j-seat-given-away-merge.html)

ijgordon Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am

Originally Posted by tfizzle (Post 31948447)
This has been a really helpful post but I haven't read all of them, but perhaps a summary is in order from my reading that would simply be.

If you paid for a J seat, be patient, don't get flustered, don't immediately accept their downgrade and ask them to fix the problem they created?

And then have them shut the boarding door in your face and tell you the next flight is 2 days later? Which is what happened. So I don't think that's a good summary or necessarily good advice.

There probably wasn't anything the OP could have done to get into J on the original flight, he was effectively between a rock and a hard place given AA's policies and practices. And like I posited earlier in this thread, if his flight was 2 minutes later and he got to the gate after the door had closed, we wouldn't be having any of this discussion.

v11a Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Another report of AA holding flight for another flight to arrive

Originally Posted by tbd1579 (Post 31948697)
Last week on AA, last flight out PHL-CMH flight was held for about 15 pax. The last 5 to arrive were upgraded at the gate. All pax were on a late to arrive international flight. At least 3 separate reservations. Nobody in the upgraded party had status. Miracles can happen.

Happened to my recent flight , too.

How long was your flight held?

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 31948799)
I don't think "routinely" means what you think it means. It's been years since I've even heard of this happening on AA given their relentless focus on D0. Unlike United, which actively manages to minimize misconnects, AA seems to focus exclusively on getting any given flight out on time, regardless of downstream consequences. .

Well, now you've heard of it twice in one day.

I was on a flight recently where they held the flight for almost an hour waiting for connecting pax arriving on another domestic flight.

I don't know if any of them had status, but they all went to the back. Way to the back for most of them.

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 31948799)
I

More importantly, in a situation like this where there is in fact time to resolve the problem, AA lacks a customer service culture to encourage and empower its employees to get to a good solution for its high value customers.

True.

The OP's situation could have been resolved quite simply, if AA staff had been so inclined.

beachfan Jan 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31949233)
And then have them shut the boarding door in your face and tell you the next flight is 2 days later? Which is what happened. So I don't think that's a good summary or necessarily good advice.

There probably wasn't anything the OP could have done to get into J on the original flight, he was effectively between a rock and a hard place given AA's policies and practices. And like I posited earlier in this thread, if his flight was 2 minutes later and he got to the gate after the door had closed, we wouldn't be having any of this discussion.

there are plenty of stories of upgraders being sent back to coach for late arriving passengers

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jan 15, 2020 4:16 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31951290)
there are plenty of stories of upgraders being sent back to coach for late arriving passengers

For sure - Lucky on onemileatatime stated in an article today that that was exactly what happened to him - his seat was restored and the ugradee was sent back.

rufflesinc Jan 15, 2020 6:29 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 31952695)
For sure - Lucky on onemileatatime stated in an article today that that was exactly what happened to him - his seat was restored and the ugradee was sent back.

not all of us can be famous bloggers

ijgordon Jan 15, 2020 8:04 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31951290)

How is that relevant when the gate agent tells you Y or I'm shutting the door? :confused: