Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ITT (in this thread) we only say good things about AA 👍

ITT (in this thread) we only say good things about AA 👍

Old Jan 6, 20, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Smile ITT (in this thread) we only say good things about AA 👍

2019 was the first year I ever had status on any airline. My job requires only occasional travel, and for most of my life I lived reasonably close to relatives/friends. I don't live in a hub city so I'm not beholden to any one airline. I earned AA status by completing a challenge, it just happened that I did have some work travel during those months, and I booked additional flights to reach Platinum Pro during the challenge period.

What an amazing year it was! I flew more and spent more than I ever did on air travel. I made multiple leisure trips "just because." A few times, booked same-day or next-day flights for last-minute vacations. I flew internationally 3 times. Every flight offered the opportunity to get upgraded, so I took more flights! And the best part, my upgrade percentage was somewhere over 50%. A few roundtrips, I was upgraded 4 out of 4 segments. It was awesome!

The whole year, AA never missed a connection, never had any extensive delays. Gate agents, flight attendants, and Admirals Club staff were all friendly and professional, and on a few occasions, bent the rules to help me avoid potential delays. Speaking of the Club, of course I only got to use them on my international itineraries, but the Flagship First experience is amazing! Great food, showers, comfy chairs... I purposely arranged extra-long connection times on the trips where I was eligible for Flagship First entry.

One anecdote that still amazes me: a connection in DFW should have been missed due to a broken jet bridge. It took over an hour to determine it was unfixable, and our plane was eventually towed to another gate. The passengers were getting unruly, trapped on a landed plane for about 90 minutes total, during which many of them missed their connections. I expected to as well, but did receive updates on the AA app that my connecting flight was delayed 10 minutes, then 20 minutes. When we finally deplaned, I ran to the other gate, whose agent was alone, waiting for me, and who immediately closed the jetway door after I passed through. They did not wait for anyone else. I continue to believe that AA held up an entire plane for about 30 minutes just so that I personally would make the flight!

AA totally blew me away during my year as an PlatPro, it was great, I was like a VIP. And I'm pretty sure it was a good deal for AA also -- I gave them thousands more revenue than I ever previously spent on air travel, and always chose AA, never alternative airlines, even if United or Delta had a nonstop or a lower price to my destination.

I read all the threads here, complaining about every little thing AA does wrong. Sure, sometimes a flight is late or someone is rude or you miss out on a better seat. But for the EXPs and PPs, geez, AA works hard to make most things pretty damn good for you. Take it from those of us in the back. I just got a taste for a year, and I'd be happy to trade status with you anytime.
onanisland, apeortdz and sassysan like this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 8:38 pm

Good things about AA.

1. When they started the Flagship TCON to JFK, I thought the F product was best in class and had no qualms paying for it. Initially, in my view, the FAs were excellent, professional and all appeared very well seasoned.

2. Initial 77W to LHR was excellent, especially with the arrival lounge where I really appreciated the opportunity for a shower & some coffee before making the trek into town.

3. JFK's Flagship dining was and still is excellent. Experiences vary, but I thought it was very good.

I'm rooting for AA to succeed, as I am for all of our domestic carriers. As a consumer, I love choice and vigorous competition where we have plenty of viable options.
allset2travel and sassysan like this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ten98 View Post
The whole year, AA never missed a connection, never had any extensive delays. Gate agents, flight attendants, and Admirals Club staff were all friendly and professional, and on a few occasions, bent the rules to help me avoid potential delays.
Fly straight to Vegas and put it all on red. Buy lotto tickets on way to airport.
Old Jan 7, 20, 1:12 am

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have been flying pretty regularly for four years, almost all on AA, almost all PHL-LAS and back, some connections, mostly nonstops. What I can say that's good is that in approximately 35 trips, I don't think I've had a major meltdown. I've had luggage lost and badly damaged and a couple missed connections, but I always got where I was going at worst within a few hours of when I expected to and in the class of service I paid for (or higher).

In any other industry that would be "damning with faint praise" but in the airline biz it's almost Gold Medal time!
Old Jan 7, 20, 1:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
<quote of a deleted post>

I think you're totally missing the point of this discussion. There are plenty of threads in the AA forum where people discuss what AA has done wrong. The OP has asked for a thread where we discuss what AA has done right.

Through about 30 years of flying AA, I've been satisfied for the most part. The illness and subsequent passing of my father kept me grounded for much of 2019. I'm flying again, and things seem to be fine.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 10, 20 at 5:01 pm Reason: mod edit
Old Jan 7, 20, 1:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
People can have good and bad anecdotes about domestic F upgrade chances, but of the Legacy US 3, AA is statistically the worst at monetizing domestic F, and I love it. My upgrades as Gold/Platinum cleared at 50%+ chance until I ran out of stickers, and with Platinum Pro it's even better. I think I've sat at the back of the LAX-SJC Eagle only once last year despite making that trip many times. And for all the times the upgrade doesn't clear, MCE seat selection availability is great, and I'm basically only in regular main cabin seats if I think there's a chance I get an empty middle seat that way.

AA makes it the most rewarding to fly internationally on all the foreign carriers I'd rather fly on.

The lack of seatback displays makes it easier to sleep on domestic red eye flights.

Transcon business upgrades work like domestic first upgrades. If only they'd let complimentary upgrades from transcon business to first instead of having a non-rev party up front every time...

The Flagship lounges are legit nice.
Old Jan 7, 20, 1:57 am

Programs: AS DL
Recent good things to me about AA.

I had a crappy carryon bag that was ready for the trash. The handle wouldn't retract until I opened the bag and squeezed a pin inside. I stopped using the bag for about 6 months. On a whim, I was going to use it for one last trip. A gAAte Nazi at ORD was working on my way home. I was forced to gAAte check it even though the flight was not that full and the bag was within regulation size. The bag arrived but damaged. There was a rip in the side. AA gave me a new bag. It's not the best brand or even close to it but it works and the configuration is well designed. I won't quite say the bag is well designed because the workmanship seems a little cheap.

Another good thing. On my recent AA flight, it didn't crash. I didn't die or get half of my body burned.

Not bitter at all. I like my new bAAg!
hedoman, apeortdz, TXguy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:58 am

I like their sundaes.
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I love been treated like crap on flights in F from DFW to HKG
I like the AA angels at my home town AA club
I like the J seats on the 787 that moves when other passengers move...

Oooops, sorry, wrong thread, I think?
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:34 am

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
(1) Domestic F is reasonable on the routes I typically fly.

(2) Lots of great airline ops views from the Chicago H/K Admirals Club.

(3) High frequency to ORD.

(4) Good mainline connections at DFW.

(5) DFW is a really easy airport to transit.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Overall AA has some very hard working, dedicating, caring employees, particularly FAs and AC staff. AA's hub system is quite good and excellent from a locale standpoint. A lot of the changes we've seen over the past 5 years are indicative of the industry not AA in particular. The FF game just isn't what it used to be and never will be again.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Don't have too much positive to say but here are a couple

- Flagship lounges have really gotten quite good.
- Overall J (business) hardware is good and fairly consistent.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
I love been treated like crap on flights in F from DFW to HKG
I like the AA angels at my home town AA club
I like the J seats on the 787 that moves when other passengers move...

Oooops, sorry, wrong thread, I think?
I flew to HKG on AA and sat in MCE. I was treated fine. Perhaps next time you'll give up your first-class seat for better service in the back? Let me know, I'll trade with you and take my chances.
apeortdz and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ten98 View Post
I flew to HKG on AA and sat in MCE. I was treated fine. Perhaps next time you'll give up your first-class seat for better service in the back? Let me know, I'll trade with you and take my chances.
deal
Old Jan 7, 20, 9:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
The number of destinations they fly to, non-stop, from DCA is unrivaled. Nobody can match the convenience, which is how I still frequently end up on AA despite not going out of my way to do so.

The Advantage program has excellent partners (as long as you avoid BA), and I've had the good fortune to be able to take multiple F and J trips as a result of accrual with AA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: