FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Citi AAdvantage Executive Card questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2002999-citi-aadvantage-executive-card-questions.html)

S80 Mar 19, 2023 12:03 am

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl (Post 35097197)
I currently have the AAdvantage Platinum Select card and have held onto it for more than 4 years. I am contemplating upgrading to the Executive card as travel is picking back up for me. Question to the brain trust here is, what is best to do to be able to get the bonus miles after the qualified spend?

So first off, I just called and the CSR at the Platinum Select line indicated that I was NOT eligible for the Bonus 50,000 miles because it is only for people who haven't had ANY AAdvantage Credit Card for the last 24 months. However, I don't see this in the Executive Card bonus terms and conditions - only that you cannot have received a bonus within the last 48 months. Is the CSR incorrect about this?

Second, what is the best way to get the Executive Card? Call to "upgrade" to an Executive Card? Or just put in a new application? I would prefer not to have the credit hard inquiry, if possible, but want to ensure that I receive any bonus points upon approval, if I qualify.

From my experience (opening 1 Citi and 1 Barclays card within 24 months from each other (for the SUB on the Barclays (before they devalue miles even further)), this is not true. It could be strict within Citi and Barclays, but that would be out of line from others where its just per specific card. (Upgrading won't get you the SUB though, as mentioned above, it has to be a new application.)

UCitiFlyer Mar 19, 2023 8:48 am

Is there any reason to get AA gold AND have this card if I can get 15K LP via AA shopping + Dining? From what I can tell I get the following benefits:

1) Priority Check in from CC
2) 5 Preferred Seats from 15K LP rewards, which is mostly enough since I usually fly short haul flights. I’d reserve these for the occasional long haul flight.
3) Free checked bag

Seems like the only thing that’s missing is Oneworld Ruby benefits for non AA airlines?

NYC Flyer Mar 19, 2023 9:07 am

Originally Posted by UCitiFlyer (Post 35099456)
Is there any reason to get AA gold AND have this card...

• Upgrades--they do happen for AA Gold. Not frequently, but certainly more than lowest tier on AA's competition
  • Main Cabin Extra--usually available at check-in time (although this has become less valuable with the reduction in MCE seating on newer configs)
  • Elite benefits on AS and B6, in addition to OW Ruby benefits
Ultimately, it depends on the opportunity cost/other status one might find worth chasing.

pauleeepaul Mar 19, 2023 10:04 am

Any sustained reason to hit a specific spend threshold on this card in the LP era?

S80 Mar 19, 2023 10:14 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 35099680)
Any sustained reason to hit a specific spend threshold on this card in the LP era?

It depends on how much you value LPs, and the opportunity cost of not putting the spend on another card. I put a couple bucks a month on it with one recurring subscription to tell Citi I'm still alive, and that's it, I only hold it for the AC access.

NYC Flyer Mar 19, 2023 10:30 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 35099680)

10,000 LPs after $40K spend...then, of course, whatever spend you need make up the shortfall for desired status level (at $1=1 LP)

living near shamu Mar 19, 2023 10:41 am

If I booked a flight via AA on AK can I still access the lounge with this card? I know they ask to see the boarding pass but it will show on AK even though on the app it has the AA flight info as well.

S80 Mar 19, 2023 10:52 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu (Post 35099782)
If I booked a flight via AA on AK can I still access the lounge with this card? I know they ask to see the boarding pass but it will show on AK even though on the app it has the AA flight info as well.

Yes. For the Admiral's Club, it should be linked for your FF#. For the AS lounge, you will need to also present the physical card.

pauleeepaul Mar 19, 2023 11:03 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 35099745)
10,000 LPs after $40K spend...then, of course, whatever spend you need make up the shortfall for desired status level (at $1=1 LP)

That is what i was looking for, thanks

living near shamu Mar 19, 2023 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by S80 (Post 35099803)
Yes. For the Admiral's Club, it should be linked for your FF#. For the AS lounge, you will need to also present the physical card.

Thanks!

michael1023 Mar 31, 2023 7:35 am

does this card make sense for 1-3 AA flights per year? i could probably meet the spend bonus of $5000, but are the 50,000 bonus miles worth it, and it is worth it in year 2, 3 etc?

Thanks

NYC Flyer Mar 31, 2023 8:01 am

Originally Posted by michael1023 (Post 35132510)
does this card make sense for 1-3 AA flights per year? i could probably meet the spend bonus of $5000, but are the 50,000 bonus miles worth it, and it is worth it in year 2, 3 etc?

This is really a matter of whether you can justify the $450 annual fee for the number of Admirals Club (or Alaska Lounge) visits you'll make in a year. The platinum MasterCard offers the same baggage benefit and a 50,000 mile bonus with half the spend and lower ($99) annual fee that is waived the first year. Unless you can really make use of the lounge access, the executive card doesn't really make sense.

michael1023 Mar 31, 2023 8:17 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 35132583)
This is really a matter of whether you can justify the $450 annual fee for the number of Admirals Club (or Alaska Lounge) visits you'll make in a year. The platinum MasterCard offers the same baggage benefit and a 50,000 mile bonus with half the spend and lower ($99) annual fee that is waived the first year. Unless you can really make use of the lounge access, the executive card doesn't really make sense.

hmm i guess. I also have priority pass via Amex platinum and also have the capital one venture x. I like to keep my lounge options open, what with them always being crowded etc...i figure maybe an admirals club membership could help that

JJeffrey Mar 31, 2023 8:43 am

Originally Posted by michael1023 (Post 35132628)
hmm i guess. I also have priority pass via Amex platinum and also have the capital one venture x. I like to keep my lounge options open, what with them always being crowded etc...i figure maybe an admirals club membership could help that

For 1-3 flights per year it doesn't make any sense to get an AC membership.

If you ever want to use an Admirals Club you can always just buy a day pass for $59.

robertablake Apr 1, 2023 6:52 am

Originally Posted by michael1023 (Post 35132628)

The other benefit for me is adding other authorized users so they have Admiral Club access as well. I consider this as an annual gift to several family members.