Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining paid and award tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Combining paid and award tickets

Hi, I feel like this must be a common question, but I couldn’t find much through searching.

I am booking a trip for my family of 6. I don’t have enough points to book all as award travel, so it will be 3 award tix and 3 cash tix, all on same itinerary. I am Platinum but no others have status. I would like to merge the reservations so we can all benefit from MCE seat selection and free baggage. Is there a way to do this?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Hi, I feel like this must be a common question, but I couldn’t find much through searching.

I am booking a trip for my family of 6. I don’t have enough points to book all as award travel, so it will be 3 award tix and 3 cash tix, all on same itinerary. I am Platinum but no others have status. I would like to merge the reservations so we can all benefit from MCE seat selection and free baggage. Is there a way to do this?
You can't merge two PNRs already booked and I don't think you can book a reservation with a mix of miles and dollars for different passengers. If one of you has elite status, you can link (but not merge) the two PNRs so everyone gets free seat selection, bags are YMMV at the airport, but officially you're not entitled to the extra bags.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No such thing as "merging" for these purposes.

The policy is that they don't get included MCE or bags, but many agents will do it for you. As to seat assignments, try calling AA. They are generally helpful. Same thing with bags at check-in.

Alternatively, as PLT, you ought to be able to check 2 bags. If each of the three people on your PNR check 2 bags, won't that work?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Or book 6 one-way award and 6 one-way cash?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by bosman
Or book 6 one-way award and 6 one-way cash?
The one-way cash tickets may be quite pricey depending on the market.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by enpremiere
The one-way cash tickets may be quite pricey depending on the market.
Might. Or they might be 1/2 of a round trip. It really depends on the market (and who else is serving it).
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.7MM
I did something similar this summer - initial tickets (3x) booked with $ then added another person on same itinerary with an award ticket.
Once the PNRs were linked, I was able to select MCE seats for the award ticket using the web site - no need to call in for that, only to link.

The award ticket did not get free checked bags but we had up to 9 available with original booking, so was not an issue.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pcbrew
I did something similar this summer - initial tickets (3x) booked with $ then added another person on same itinerary with an award ticket.
Once the PNRs were linked, I was able to select MCE seats for the award ticket using the web site - no need to call in for that, only to link.

The award ticket did not get free checked bags but we had up to 9 available with original booking, so was not an issue.
For most practical purposes, PNRs can’t actually be linked.
enpremiere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.