CX865 posting to AA

Old Jan 5, 20, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

CX865 posting to AA

My wife took CX865 in E at the end of the year to qualify for AA platinum, as the extra leg/distance via YVR would get her over the hump.
Unfortunately, when I checked her account just now when the miles finally posted, AA treated this as a direct flight, and now she's 43 EQM short of platinum for 2019
Is there anything that could be done about this? I wanted her to have AA plat so that our family of 4 can all have access to OW lounge when we travel together, but I didn't expect them to treat this flight as 1 segment as it's technically JFK-YVR-HKG
If I call AA do you think there's a chance something could be done?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
If it's a direct flight (i.e., 1-stop with same flight number), then it's standard practice to treat as one flight. Even though it's two "flown" segments, it's booked as one. It's definitely annoying, especially when there's a change of gauge, but it's been this way for as long as I can remember (20+ years). I'm not sure there's much you can do other than call AA to see what the offer is to buy-up to Platinum.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:22 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by bszeto View Post
My wife took CX865 in E at the end of the year to qualify for AA platinum, as the extra leg/distance via YVR would get her over the hump.
Unfortunately, when I checked her account just now when the miles finally posted, AA treated this as a direct flight, and now she's 43 EQM short of platinum for 2019
Is there anything that could be done about this? I wanted her to have AA plat so that our family of 4 can all have access to OW lounge when we travel together, but I didn't expect them to treat this flight as 1 segment as it's technically JFK-YVR-HKG
If I call AA do you think there's a chance something could be done?

Thanks
One flight number should have been the clue that it's measured origin to final destination. Pretty common issue that's been discussed here for decades. So sorry. Groveling and begging may be required. Good luck.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This is treated as a "direct flight" having the same flight number and aircraft operating both legs. Typically mileage received will be that of a "non stop" JFK-HKG.

You can call AA and ask, but don't be surprised at their answer.

Last edited by arollins; Jan 5, 20 at 6:30 pm
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

That sucks, I guess i'll give AA a call if anything can be done for my wife being 43 EQM short but i'm not optimistic.
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by bszeto View Post
That sucks, I guess i'll give AA a call if anything can be done for my wife being 43 EQM short but i'm not optimistic.
Just don't let your wife find out that the extra 3+ hrs of flight did not amount to anything. Bet she would have preferred to be on the non stop.
Good luck.
bszeto likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
CX865 /888 are always treated as direct flight unless you'd only taken part of the fifth freedom segments. CX itself treats the same - you earn the same AM and CP regardless of stopover at YVR or not. This won't be an issue after April though.
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
CX865 /888 are always treated as direct flight unless you'd only taken part of the fifth freedom segments.
They are treated as direct flights because they are direct flights.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
They are treated as direct flights because they are direct flights.
Which is not true from an operational standpoint and hence why OP asked.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes it is
JFK-YVR is a direct flight
YVR-HKG is a direct flight
JFK-HKG is a direct flight

Both JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG are non stop services whilst JFK-HKG is a 1 stop direct flight

There is only 1 flight coupon issued , which makes it a direct flight
bse118, E55, jz123 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
I think direct flight means there are no change in flight number, while non-stop flight means the flight doesn’t stop anywhere.

For example, AA138 used to be a direct flight from LGA(or DCA?) to HKG via DFW. If you fly all the way on AA138 from start to finish and credit the miles to say, CX, you would get less miles than flying on DFW-HKG. Very counterintuitive, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Here's one thread with extensive dicussion of direct flights and the issues with earning associated with them:

One or multi-stop, single flight numbers: through / direct flights (master thd)
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Amazed it took so long for this to devolve into a direct vs nonstop discussion.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Yes it is
JFK-YVR is a direct flight
YVR-HKG is a direct flight
JFK-HKG is a direct flight

Both JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG are non stop services whilst JFK-HKG is a 1 stop direct flight

There is only 1 flight coupon issued , which makes it a direct flight
Please go ahead and write a technicality essay about direct vs non-stop, which OP clearly stated "one segment"; not even sure he/she cared.
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Please go ahead and write a technicality essay about direct vs non-stop, which OP clearly stated "one segment"; not even sure he/she cared.
Well, that "technicality" is the crux of the OP's issue; and why they accrued less miles than they thought they would; so I'd say it's worth caring about (as in being aware of now for the future)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: