Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Move Avios to AA account?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Move Avios to AA account?

My gf flew BA JFK-LHR Oma short notice and opened an Executive Club account to collect miles. Residing in the US she prefers to collect miles from a legacy carrier for use on domestic flights. If she opens up an AAdvantage account is it possible (and advisable) to transfer the Avios earned so far into her AAdvantage account? Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UASleeper
My gf flew BA JFK-LHR Oma short notice and opened an Executive Club account to collect miles. Residing in the US she prefers to collect miles from a legacy carrier for use on domestic flights. If she opens up an AAdvantage account is it possible (and advisable) to transfer the Avios earned so far into her AAdvantage account? Thanks!
Not possible. But, if she also opened and funded an Iberia Plus account and waited 90 days, she could then transfer her Avios from BAEC to Iberia Plus -- which, in some cases, offers cheaper redemptions for AA domestic travel than either AAdvantage or BAEC does.

Edited to add: How many Avios are we talking about?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the knowledgeable guv1976 says, you can’t transfer instruments such as award points / miles between airlines freely. There are sometimes other programs you can exchange these through, but the “exchange cost” is generally prohibitive.

BA and IB Avios can nonetheless be used for AA awards, and it seems the sweet spot is AA domestic awards because that usually requires fewer Avios points than AAdvantage miles. Booked through BAEC, of course.

She can still open an account on a US carrier she prefers. (And she could have opened an AAdvantage account and credited her BA flights to AA, but I suspect that would be impossible after the fact.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.