Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I had started to post complete agreement, but then I deleted when a thought hit me - do the monitor lists include all pax types - like IRROPS standbys? - it appears we have plenty of evidence that the upgrade lists do not.... Just a thought....
It's quite possible...but they still wouldn't have disappeared unless they were taken off.

Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
if the ac angels can't put you on the standby (or upg) lists--except surroundings nicer than the gate area--being an ac member is becoming less and less enticing.
Without knowing the full details, I would speculate that the problem isn't AC agents adding people to the standby list, rather, its AC agents adding people to the standby list while the agent is boarding/processing standby/closing the flight. At that point, many gate agents like to have complete control of the list. Its unclear how close to departure the OP really was ("near boarding time"), of course...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbessler
Without knowing the full details, I would speculate that the problem isn't AC agents adding people to the standby list, rather, its AC agents adding people to the standby list while the agent is boarding/processing standby/closing the flight. At that point, many gate agents like to have complete control of the list. Its unclear how close to departure the OP really was ("near boarding time"), of course...
I was just about to post something similar.

The key is what time they are added to the list, if the agent has already processed the standby list , other agents adding people to it can cause no end of problems.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by brp
It's quite possible...but they still wouldn't have disappeared unless they were taken off.

Cheers.
Yeah - my bad - totally spaced that part! I was more worried about why someone else was apparently cleared when they were #1/#2. But, the names disappearing - yup you are totally on base - no excuse for that action. The "turf war" is the best (and highly inexcusable) explanation.

EDIT: Just read jrhone's post - too bad the system can't 'lock' the list at the GA request - BUT - also that the system would ensure that the GA can't lock it too early!!!! :-)
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
i've been in ac clubs where the agents have called the gate* to speak with a ga first, this way there is no competition between ga and ac angels.
[*the ac knows the phone numbers for the various gates--, from one of my previous posts here on ft.]
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:34 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
EDIT: Just read jrhone's post - too bad the system can't 'lock' the list at the GA request - BUT - also that the system would ensure that the GA can't lock it too early!!!! :-)
They can certainly close a flight (and jrhone will correct me if I'm wrong). The problems arise when overzealous AC agents manage to reopen them to add more pax. I've been added to a flight in just this way, only to be removed by the GA because the flight was actually weight restricted. As nrr states, this can be avoided by better communication between the AC and GA, but perhaps some AC agents are hesitant to bother gate agents knowing how busy they are already?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
They can certainly close a flight (and jrhone will correct me if I'm wrong). The problems arise when overzealous AC agents manage to reopen them to add more pax. I've been added to a flight in just this way, only to be removed by the GA because the flight was actually weight restricted. As nrr states, this can be avoided by better communication between the AC and GA, but perhaps some AC agents are hesitant to bother gate agents knowing how busy they are already?

I had a similar thing happen. I was standing by on an earlier flight and the AAngel went ahead and cleared me. When I got to the gate, the GA called me up and took away my boarding pass, saying "the Admirals Club agent cleared you before I was ready to give you the seat."

In the end, we have to keep in mind that the GA(s) have ultimate resposibility for getting the door closed and the jetbridge retracted on time. I thing jrhone is right, that at a certain point before departure, only the GAs working the flight should be able to manipulate flight data in SABRE.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
I had started to post complete agreement, but then I deleted when a thought hit me - do the monitor lists include all pax types - like IRROPS standbys? - it appears we have plenty of evidence that the upgrade lists do not.... Just a thought....
Okay, you got me--what is IRROPS? (I apologize in advance if there is a Flyer Talk dictionary or something I should have consulted before posting this.)
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by VonS
Okay, you got me--what is IRROPS? (I apologize in advance if there is a Flyer Talk dictionary or something I should have consulted before posting this.)
Irregular Operations
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by VonS
The FT AAdvantage forum one is in the following sticky:Post #5:
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 777-DCA
Who's "us?" Does the other person have status? Perhaps it was an EXP connected to a ticket with another passenger.

Before you start to give AA crap or give them a provide more info.
My coworker and I are PLT. The two people who were given seats ahead of us (they were not on the list prior) were also PLT, and were booked on the same original flight as us. I had done OLCI the night before.

This was VERY close to the end of boarding, but the GA was still working the standby list, as evidenced by her clearing walk-ups.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
GA's usuing a control set at the gate can change the status of a flight at different times . The usual changes are putting the flight in to 'final' , which restricts checkin in and seat changes only to the GA computers at the gate, 'final all' which releases all seat blocks , and then 'close' and 'pdc'. Agents can also put the flight in 'held' status which stops anyone else from assigning seats or playing around with things while they work the standby list.

edit ; I dont think it is a turf war, just that at times the communication isnt as good as it should be. GA's have to understand that the AC staff are trying to help our premium passengers by providing them with extra service, while the AC staff need to understand that if they place someone on a list once a flight is in final, it should be stated to the passenger that due to time limits they might not be accomodated in the correct order, this is especially true if the GA has already processed the standby list. If the AC staff place an EP on the standby list at 15 minutes before departure, and the GA has already accomodated all the PL and AG passengers, are we supposed to pull a PL/AG member off the plane to accomodate the EP , in the correct order ?

Last edited by jrhone; Aug 5, 2008 at 7:56 am
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jrhone
GA's usuing a control set at the gate can change the status of a flight at different times . The usual changes are putting the flight in to 'final' , which restricts checkin in and seat changes only to the GA computers at the gate, 'final all' which releases all seat blocks , and then 'close' and 'pdc'. Agents can also put the flight in 'held' status which stops anyone else from assigning seats or playing around with things while they work the standby list.

edit ; I dont think it is a turf war, just that at times the communication isnt as good as it should be. GA's have to understand that the AC staff are trying to help our premium passengers by providing them with extra service, while the AC staff need to understand that if they place someone on a list once a flight is in final, it should be stated to the passenger that due to time limits they might not be accomodated in the correct order, this is especially true if the GA has already processed the standby list. If the AC staff place an EP on the standby list at 15 minutes before departure, and the GA has already accomodated all the PL and AG passengers, are we supposed to pull a PL/AG member off the plane to accomodate the EP , in the correct order ?
^^^

We should have an "ask jrhone" subforum on the AA board, where instead of the usual speculation and conjecture, we get real answers.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
^^^

We should have an "ask jrhone" subforum on the AA board, where instead of the usual speculation and conjecture, we get real answers.

I second this motion.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
^^^

Although we do have to teach him that here, we call them "GLD" and not "AG" (And what is the elemental symbol for Executive Platinum anyway?)

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.