Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Welcome to the "2020 & 2021 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

For further information on the new “ISolve” app on FA tablets allowing them to issue bonus miles compensation, see here.

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:
  • Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments

• Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

• JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):

DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
• Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956110-archive-questions-2019-about-guide-listing-compensation-master-thd.html]ARCHIVE: 2019 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation [/url]
ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)
2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)
2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:28 am

It seems fair to me. If IFE was ala carte would you pay 10000 rdm for it?
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by chris8796
It seems fair to me. If IFE was ala carte would you pay 10000 rdm for it?
I paid plenty of $ for a J ticket which was supposed to include working IFE already.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Just flew GRU-JFK in J, my IFE was inop for the ENTIRE flight. FA gave me 10k RDM on the little handheld but I feel like that’s low for a 9-10h flight and another 10-20k RDM would be more “fair.” Thoughts?
Somewhere betwen 13,200 and 17,600 sounds about right to me. 10,000 isn't bad ... but 15,000 would have likely not left a sour taste in your mouth. If it is important to you, shoot them an email. If not, let it go.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Somewhere betwen 13,200 and 17,600 sounds about right to me. 10,000 isn't bad ... but 15,000 would have likely not left a sour taste in your mouth. If it is important to you, shoot them an email. If not, let it go.
I was going to call EXP. My gf was behind me in 4A and her IFE was also broken and they offered her nothing (BA OWE).
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:42 am

I was going to call EXP. My gf was behind me in 4A and her IFE was also broken and they offered her nothing (BA OWE).
You're able to accomplish more than a flight booking / change via the EXP desk? That's a feat in and of itself.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. She should definitely get some miles as well, that's not right. Hope it works out for both of you.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Just flew GRU-JFK in J, my IFE was inop for the ENTIRE flight. FA gave me 10k RDM on the little handheld but I feel like that’s low for a 9-10h flight and another 10-20k RDM would be more “fair.” Thoughts?
No right or wrong answer here, but I think 10K more than enough. They should also have offered a tablet for use during the flight.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't you have been sleeping anyway?

Or surely the FA could have facilitated a swap with one of the many business travelers who were likely sleeping from take-off to touchdown.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Yes, your IFE should have been in working order, and yes, you should be compensated.

However, it is well known that IFE can go down. Rather than sit through a long flight with nothing to do but read the airline magazine it's a really great idea to bring your own IFE on board with you.

I always have my iPad with Kindle books and a Sudoku puzzle book. Rarely, if ever, do I use the airplane IFE.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Same thing happened on the 772 on a long haul....10K miles proactively offered to me via iSolve.

It actually ended up being fine....I drank a lot of wine while reading an US Weekly I happened to have and passed out.....woke up right before landing haha.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Flew LHR-DFW a couple of years ago and the entire 77W IFE/wifi was down. Was proactively given 10k miles or thereabouts by AA customer service. Flight wasn't too bad as everyone in the J cabin was passing around whatever we had with us, such as magazines and books so we could share.

I did write to AA CS after as well, not in search of additional comp, but to provide feedback on the process. The IFE was down in JFK before the aircraft even left for LHR and then spent many hours on the ground in LHR prior to our flight during which period AA did not tell us diddly-squat. We only found out after boarding. AA should have made announcements in the boarding area and lounge which would have allowed many of us to go stock up on a few extra books.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jridge
They should also have offered a tablet for use during the flight.

probably the only tablets they keep on board for passengers and well needed
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
OP, what would you like AA to give you?
if you feel the 10K was not enough... you can always email AA CS and see what they are willing to give.
remember what you paid for a J seat, is not going to really play that much in terms of comp
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
You actually got 10k miles as compensation? AA is being generous here. That's more than what many people get, which is a "sorry for the inconvenience" note.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Yes, your IFE should have been in working order, and yes, you should be compensated.

However, it is well known that IFE can go down. Rather than sit through a long flight with nothing to do but read the airline magazine it's a really great idea to bring your own IFE on board with you.

I always have my iPad with Kindle books and a Sudoku puzzle book. Rarely, if ever, do I use the airplane IFE.
Agree totally! As long as I have power, I have entertainment options without resorting to IFE. I rarely use IFE for anything other than GPS tracking.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach

Bingo I never assume IFE will be there for me so I bring my own tablet and book. I understand AA isn't going to take an a/c out of service for it and the crew/GAs may not know ahead of time. 10K miles is fair and I'd be satisfied.
PUCCI GALORE and AAir_head like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.