Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Welcome to the "2020 & 2021 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

For further information on the new “ISolve” app on FA tablets allowing them to issue bonus miles compensation, see here.

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:
  • Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments

• Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

• JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):

DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
• Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956110-archive-questions-2019-about-guide-listing-compensation-master-thd.html]ARCHIVE: 2019 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation [/url]
ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation
2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)
2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)
2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thread - 2020 on)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Austin787
You actually got 10k miles as compensation? AA is being generous here. That's more than what many people get, which is a "sorry for the inconvenience" note.
well the miles haven’t actually posted. The flight and EQM posted but not the “bonus” RDM for this incident. How long should they take? As for the other poster who asked what I want, I started this thread to see what’s normal
or fair, but at first blush 20k sounded like a fair #, so another 10k would be nice.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:26 am
Suspended

So in the end, AA offered another 5k to bring it to 15k RDM and a $300 e-voucher for my gf since she isn't an AA FF. I am satisfied.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Someone ELSE from AA just called me. I told them I had already spoken with one of their colleagues and we were all sorted out, but he insisted on crediting an additional 10k RDM, so theoretically when it is all posted and done it'll be 25k RDM + the $300 e-voucher for my gf. For sure above and beyond my expectations, well done AA. All is forgiven.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Date: 12/15/20
Fare Class: O

Sometimes you just get lucky... I was flying MSY-CLT-MCO and the 1st segment went MX right before takeoff. Then came the infamous AA rolling delays. I listed standby on a flight that left CLT about 3 hours later, and was the last person to clear. Ended up getting home about 3 and a half hours late. I sent a quick email to AA but wasn't really expecting anything

Turns out the initial flight got delayed overnight (an ~18 hour delay). About an hour after it landed I got an email from AA apologizing for the delay and crediting 15K miles. Seems like that went to everyone booked on the flight since I got a separate message later replying to my specific email (with a generic form letter).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Compensation for no meal or working entertainment in business class?

Looking for feedback on a recent business class award trip from CUN to ORD. Unfortunately the evening flight was mistakenly “shorted” by catering the meals for our flight so nothing was provided to eat other than pretzels. Also the entertainment system for my seat and seatmate in 2A and 2C did not work the entire flight (all other seats appeared to be working fine). Our purser said if he still had the iSolve tablets he would have submitted a request for compensation, but those tablets no longer are provided to cabin attendants. So what is the best recourse for submitting a complaint to AA for the inconvenience, and where do I submit the complaint? And what would be a reasonable expectation for compensation? I did scribble a brief letter about the issue, and had the purser sign it with his employee number. Thanks for any insight!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Not for nothing but why are you flying anyway during all this mess?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:24 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by touringuy
So what is the best recourse for submitting a complaint to AA for the inconvenience, and where do I submit the complaint?
Not exactly sure what the catering situation is on the CUN flights nowadays but I’m thinking all you missed out on was a prepackaged cold sandwich? And keep in mind AA is tearing out inflight IFE so it’s really only guaranteed on the A321Ts and widebody planes.

In any case, there’s not much special advice you’ll get here... just go to AA.com and look for “Contact Us”... for the miscatering you’ll probably get some miles.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by touringuy
where do I submit the complaint? And what would be a reasonable expectation for compensation? I did scribble a brief letter about the issue, and had the purser sign it with his employee number. Thanks for any insight!
go to AA.com, click Contact Us and follow the fields for Complaint, etc. -- fill in your ticket/reservation info and then a very brief message ("Flight was not catered. IFE did not work for seat 2A and 2C. Purser wanted to but couldn't offer miles as compensation. Can you offer miles to make this right?")

The messages do (surprisingly to many) go to a real person who will respond (whether it's an intelligent response is up for debate, but if you get nonsense, just reply to the email and the second response will likely be better).
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by deriant
Not for nothing but why are you flying anyway during all this mess?
Deleted

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; Feb 24, 2021 at 8:18 am
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Yesterday (2/23/2021) on AA 2289 MIA-LAX on 77W, the entire plane F/J/PY/Y has no IFE no wifi no internet for the entire 5 hours flight time, I asked the purser about standard compensation for this, she just told me I have to contact AA, and no auto deposit of anything in my account yet, how much should I ask for ? 5K miles ?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Yesterday (2/23/2021) on AA 2289 MIA-LAX on 77W, the entire plane F/J/PY/Y has no IFE no wifi no internet for the entire 5 hours flight time, I asked the purser about standard compensation for this, she just told me I have to contact AA, and no auto deposit of anything in my account yet, how much should I ask for ? 5K miles ?
Finally wrote to customer relations and got 5K miles
Old May 20, 2021, 10:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date: May 18, 2021
Fare Class: Paid First (I)
What Happened: Ticked BWI-CLT-RDU. We pushed back and taxied briefly at BWI then returned to the gate for maintenance issues. The gate agent informed us the engine cowling was removed and we needed a new starter. He said the delay update the app was giving us was wildly inaccurate and we should treat this as a cancelled flight. Everyone was offloaded as were bags. By the time I got to the counter all morning options from BWI were sold out. I ended up paying for an Amtrak ticket and flying DCA-CLT-RDU. I got home five hours late and had to pay for an extra day of parking along with rearranging my whole day.
Compensation: 10,000 Miles
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
DFW-BHM 9pm departure delayed to midnight then canceled due to maintenance. Two hour line for assistance w hotel vouchers and taxi provided and rebooked on 7am. Three hours sleep and a QR code for $12 voucher for food that no one in the airport accepted. Ended up missing meeting and looked pretty rough the next day. Shouldn’t AA be proactive about these compensation offers? Or should I email? Got 15k on a paid J GRU-DFW delay that lasted 15 hours in May without asking. Came within 24 hours, but after three weeks nothing has posted until I wrote in again. I wonder how many people just didn’t check.

Is AA typically more proactive or reactive in these mega delays?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:17 pm

I complained that my valet ticketed bag took over 20 minutes to show up at SFO, and wasn't in the first group of bags (I was in business on a CRJ700) to come out. I received 1000 miles.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Shouldn’t AA be proactive about these compensation offers? Or should I email? Got 15k on a paid J GRU-DFW delay that lasted 15 hours in May without asking. Came within 24 hours, but after three weeks nothing has posted until I wrote in again. I wonder how many people just didn’t check.

Is AA typically more proactive or reactive in these mega delays?
Yes AA should be proactive about compensation but in my experience with them going back 19 years I can think of exactly one time I got a proactive apology and compensation and that was in 2006. Reach out, document what happened and you'll get some miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.