Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Non-QF DFW-SYD Routing

In the past, I've redeemed miles on QF for DFW-SYD in J and F. Would it require more miles to travel on CX? As an alternative to either DFW-SYD(QF) or DFW-LAX(AA)/LAX-SYD(QF), I was thinking of DFW-HKG(AA)/HKG-SYD(CX).

Thanks.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Sant
In the past, I've redeemed miles on QF for DFW-SYD in J and F. Would it require more miles to travel on CX? As an alternative to either DFW-SYD(QF) or DFW-LAX(AA)/LAX-SYD(QF), I was thinking of DFW-HKG(AA)/HKG-SYD(CX).

Thanks.
Yes - it would be 2 separate awards on CX via HKG (but easier to get than QF direct). However, if you are going to go via HKG, why not fly CX all the way instead of AA/CX - I would. Also, if you do go via HKG, you are allowed a stopover as it is 2 awards.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
MH drops a flight on OW J award - who is supposed to advise me?

I have a ticketed OW J award BKK-AKL-BKK on a mix of MH, CX, and QF QF in late may. Specifically

BKK-KUL(MH785)-HKG(MH432)-AKL(CX197)
AKL-MEL(QF156)-KUL(MH148)-BKK(MH796)

I travel in about 1 week, and when reviewing the various sectors on ExpertFlyer I noticed the tha final sector KUL-BKK MH796 22:15-23:20 wasn't showing at all. I tried a dummy single sector booking on MH's own website and again the flight is not listed as operating. The flight seems to operate until May 28, then ceases thereafter. The next available flight is teh following morning, and there is some J availability - but this requires an overnight in KUL, and loses a night in BKK.

This trip has been a nightmare due to mis-handling by USDM (who failed to ticket correctly), resulting in a cancelled ticket, leaving poor options at short notice with AA once miles were re-deposited.....I'm almost tempted to cancel the whole thing and buy a Y ticket!

Assuming that MH have elected not to operate this sector, is it AA or MH who should advise me. And as a follow-on, should MH provide acommodation at KUL since there is now a compulsory overnight? (similar to STPC?).

What are AA's obligations since they issued the ticket? What if I decide to cancel based on the overnight in KUL not suiting? Grateful for opinions/experiences.....Note I have yet to contact AA or MH as I'm keen to gain for some idea of my options.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 16, 2015 at 1:21 am
Old May 16, 2015, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

MH isn't going to pay the hotel bill for the night

If there is availability the next day, then should be easy to get AA to rebook the sector - you will have the option to cancel and redeposit without penalty and can then purchase a revenue ticket if you prefer

If the flight is not operating anymore, then there is a limit to what AA can do
Old May 16, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
MH isn't going to pay the hotel bill for the night

If there is availability the next day, then should be easy to get AA to rebook the sector - you will have the option to cancel and redeposit without penalty and can then purchase a revenue ticket if you prefer

If the flight is not operating anymore, then there is a limit to what AA can do
Thanks DN. I remain curious about what is supposed to happen from a 'system' perspective if I hadn't noticed this. I presume AA should make contact with me once MH had 'advised' them (automatically or manually) - or is the system not that robust? of course, alternate award inventory might well be dwindling in the meantime.

It would seem a weakness in the ticketing system if this didn't come to light until check-in!

Cheers, TK

Edited to add:

Called MH. The staff member said the final sector was cancelled since there wasn't 2 hours between flights at KUL (note EF say MH-MH Intl-Intl MCT is 60 mins. When pressed on the fact that MH weren't even operating the flight according to their own website (and others), the agent checked and confimred the flight wasn't actually being operated, and that I needed to contact AA for a re-booking on another flight. The comment about not meeting MCT seems complete BS to me....

I'll contact MH first to see what is happening with this sector, then confirm that AA can also 'see' the problem, and finally make a call on either taking the later flight on MH or cancelling and buing a revenue ticket.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 16, 2015 at 2:35 am
Old May 16, 2015, 2:30 am

Hopefully you would be contacted.

Given that MH796 was the last flight of the day and MH148 arrives after the previous service, I cannot see what MH would be able to do for you for travel that day

If the next morning's service to BKK has availabity that may be the best option for an award ticket from MH

Depending on the day of week there is a RJ flight at 22:10 which , if it has award availability, may be a good option. Alternatively , perhaps check for other routings such as AKL-KUL or AKL-HKG for award availability
Old May 16, 2015, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully you would be contacted.

Given that MH796 was the last flight of the day and MH148 arrives after the previous service, I cannot see what MH would be able to do for you for travel that day

If the next morning's service to BKK has availabity that may be the best option for an award ticket from MH

Depending on the day of week there is a RJ flight at 22:10 which , if it has award availability, may be a good option. Alternatively , perhaps check for other routings such as AKL-KUL or AKL-HKG for award availability
See the added comments in my post above. I'll call AA to see if they have been advised.

It is self evident that if MH have decided not to operate the last flight of the day, then there'll be no same-day service to BKK with them. That leaves the ball with AA/myself. My question was when/how the customer would be notified. My AA account shows the booking as ticketd and 'OK'.

Similarly, many (all?) other routing possibilities have been checked daily, as I preferred not to fly MH, but nothing showing any J/Y availability. Thanks for the RJ tip, but they don't fly on the day concerned.

Cheers, and I will work on it tomorrow. The Hurricanes-Chiefs match now much more interesting at present......
Old May 16, 2015, 3:56 am

The MCT issue is indeed wrong - it would never have been ticketed in the 1st place ; if the flight is not operating, I would contact AA asap whilst availability next day exists and others who may have been displaced may be rebooking

I would have expected AA to send an email that there was a problem with the flights so that you could contact it for rebooking
Old May 16, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Assuming that MH have elected not to operate this sector, is it AA or MH who should advise me. And as a follow-on, should MH provide acommodation at KUL since there is now a compulsory overnight? (similar to STPC?).
MH is subbing and consolidating 2 737s to 1 777 between May 30 and June 6 (not too sure why a lot of 737 flights are canceled that particular week considering it's school holidays in Malaysia), but my friend who traveled last year and had his late night KUL-DPS canceled and he was put on next morning's flight and MH provided accommodation. Not too sure how this has changed now tho with MH's current financial situation.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The rule has existed for a long time. AA did not change any rule to allow QF to be used via DXB. The one-flight number principle has existed also for a long time.
This rule is simply stupid !
It would be enough to limit the routings to " no backtracking ", may be with the exeption, where no oneworld direct Routing aply, a MPM+25% is allowed.

Which kind of logic is behind this rule ? Them only not want people to fly Europe-HKG-Indian Sub. on CX, for the lower milage, and this them already reach with the MPM+25% rule.
Or is there any other reason, why people should not fly via AUH or DOH to Australia ? From Europe it`s absolutly straight on the way.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by bertheike
This rule is simply stupid !
It would be enough to limit the routings to " no backtracking ", may be with the exeption, where no oneworld direct Routing aply, a MPM+25% is allowed.

Which kind of logic is behind this rule ? Them only not want people to fly Europe-HKG-Indian Sub. on CX, for the lower milage, and this them already reach with the MPM+25% rule.
Or is there any other reason, why people should not fly via AUH or DOH to Australia ? From Europe it`s absolutly straight on the way.

Simple ( and hard to argue that it is silly rules ) is that

(a) Need to travel directly between origin zone and destination zone and
(b) has to be a routing that would be permitted on a paid fare. ( MPMs are only relevant when designated routeings are not specified )

For some destinations it is impossible ( or at least very difficult ) to travel between origin zone and destination zone directly. In these cases an exception is made

For Europe to Middle East/India , there is no reason at all to provide an exception since there is no issue going directly between regions

For Europe to South Pacific, transit in Asia 1 or Asia 2 is permitted. This provides decent options to get between Europe and South Pacific. Without the exception , would be limited to QF2/10 and BA15 from Europe to South Pacific rather than allow travel on airlines such as CX, MH and JL

It would ne nice if it also allowed Middle East as a connection point with a QR exception , which I am surprised is not allowed, but it is what it is

I am not surprised at such rules when you look at what people will try to do otherwise
Old May 17, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Simple ( and hard to argue that it is silly rules ) is that

(a) Need to travel directly between origin zone and destination zone and
(b) has to be a routing that would be permitted on a paid fare. ( MPMs are only relevant when designated routeings are not specified )

For some destinations it is impossible ( or at least very difficult ) to travel between origin zone and destination zone directly. In these cases an exception is made

For Europe to Middle East/India , there is no reason at all to provide an exception since there is no issue going directly between regions

For Europe to South Pacific, transit in Asia 1 or Asia 2 is permitted. This provides decent options to get between Europe and South Pacific. Without the exception , would be limited to QF2/10 and BA15 from Europe to South Pacific rather than allow travel on airlines such as CX, MH and JL

It would ne nice if it also allowed Middle East as a connection point with a QR exception , which I am surprised is not allowed, but it is what it is

I am not surprised at such rules when you look at what people will try to do otherwise
Which logic is behind this ?
My most liked Routing is between Germany and Thailand.
With the existing rules Iam limited to (CX) FRA-HKG-BKK/HKT which is one of my top, but due to only 1 flight per day availability is very much limited in prem. cabins.
2nd, (BA) DE-LON-BKK, which is not an real option due to the high YQ and one of the most bad availability @ all in C/F, and MH does not fly anymore ex DE via KUL.
The best availability is on EY and QR via AUH and DOH and with alot of flights every day from DUS/HAM/BER/FRA and MUC to BKK and HKT.
The flights are no backtracking, and both EY and QR have published rates for the Routings.

P.S. I know, both origing ( DE ) and Destination (TH) are mainly served by *aliance. But I not choosed to " suck" with oneworld. US changed to AA and BMI DC to BA. And now people them have saved miles over many years, have to see how them can burn them. And as already said, Iam not willing to pay more than 1000 $ on fees for BA Award flights,( which is a rippoff )! With these fees some awards even not have a value @ all.

Last edited by bertheike; May 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 4:36 pm

You can use QR to get to Asia 2 - Europe to Asia 2 is permitted via Middle East for a QR-QR connection

Airlines such a BA, MH and CX all offer direct service from Europe to Asia 2

The only real restriction that I can see is not being able to use EY

AA has had these routing rules for a long time, it is not some new invention that is now causing issues
Old May 17, 2015, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bertheike
Which logic is behind this ?
My most liked Routing is between Germany and Thailand.
With the existing rules Iam limited to (CX) FRA-HKG-BKK/HKT which is one of my top, but due to only 1 flight per day availability is very much limited in prem. cabins.
2nd, (BA) DE-LON-BKK, which is not an real option due to the high YQ and one of the most bad availability @ all in C/F, and MH does not fly anymore ex DE via KUL.
The best availability is on EY and QR via AUH and DOH and with alot of flights every day from DUS/HAM/BER/FRA and MUC to BKK and HKT.
The flights are no backtracking, and both EY and QR have published rates for the Routings.

P.S. I know, both origing ( DE ) and Destination (TH) are mainly served by *aliance. But I not choosed to " suck" with oneworld. US changed to AA and BMI DC to BA. And now people them have saved miles over many years, have to see how them can burn them. And as already said, Iam not willing to pay more than 1000 $ on fees for BA Award flights,( which is a rippoff )! With these fees some awards even not have a value @ all.

You had enquired about the EY vs. QR thing and I gave you a link to the chart of allowable, 3rd zone connections here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24702685-post9.html
Old May 18, 2015, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You had enquired about the EY vs. QR thing and I gave you a link to the chart of allowable, 3rd zone connections here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24702685-post9.html
Thank's for your list. > https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...n/photostream/
Interesting that Southamerica z2/Northamerika - Africa is allowed via DOHA, but Europe - Africa is not in that list ! Which results with the only choice left is BA with it's high YQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.