Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules (<2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
According to the current wording for QF Club members at http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...cess/global/en
even AA flight numbers would seem to be no longer eligible
I would suggest the Qantas web site is contradictory at worst: (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...#in-the-lounge)
Partner Lounges

When travelling with American Airlines, as a Qantas Club member you and a guest are welcome at American Airlines Admirals Club lounges. Simply present your Qantas Club card together with your boarding pass at the lounge reception. Both you and your guest need to be travelling together further that day on a flight marketed^ and operated by the partner airline whose lounge you wish to visit.
Although it is problematic for those travelling on USair Flight numbers or metal if trying to access AC's solely via paid QP membership.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serfty
I would suggest the Qantas web site is contradictory at worst: (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...#in-the-lounge)
Although it is problematic for those travelling on USair Flight numbers or metal if trying to access AC's solely via paid QP membership.
It is definitely contradictory ; even so , it is still necessary that the flight be marketed by and operated by AA so US flights would still not be eligible for access

Not just US flight numbers, the flight has to be AA operated AND marketed
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Not just US flight numbers, the flight has to be AA operated AND marketed
Sure - I was referring to AA*US / US*AA codeshares as per the theme of these posts, but yes AA*AA (if that were the way to describe AA flight number on AA metal).

This, of course, would be transitional with the future seeing the end of USair marketed flights and USair metal.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 26, 2014 at 2:25 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thumbs down AA Changes Admirals Club Member Access to Qantas Clubs?

At least as recently as November 2014, flying QF domestically, for instance, Admirals Club (annual and thirty day) members were iirc able to use Qantas Clubs the day of flight. Am I misremembering?

The new wording on aa.com:

Select Qantas Clubs when departing on the same day on an American Airlines operated flight or an American marketed flight operated by Qantas. Link
Looking at a specific lounge, ADL / Adelaide:

The Qantas Club

Must present your membership card (or 30 Day Membership receipt) and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same day travel on an American Airlines or US Airways operated flight or an American Airlines marketed flight operated by Qantas.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:49 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
You are correct that it has changed. The previous wording was:
Access to nearly 40 Admirals Club locations worldwide and over 30 international lounges operated by oneworld® partner Qantas (must be traveling on Qantas operated flight for access to Qantas lounges). And as an added benefit, Admirals Club members also now have access to 18 US Airways Clubs.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes: a negative change.

A post from another thread
Seemed a reasonable place to highlight, given that purchasing 30 day memberships seems to get raised here from time to time, that AA seems to have changed the terms of access to Qantas lounges to limit to departures on AA flight numbers

From http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nge-access.jsp
Originally Posted by AA
Select Qantas Clubs when departing on the same day on an American Airlines operated flight or an American marketed flight operated by Qantas
Will the same restriction be applied to Qantas Club members on AA flights?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Funny, I was looking at getting an Admiral's Club membership last weekend, thinking it would get me into The Qantas Club (more of my flying is in Australia than the US, I don't fly OneWorld enough to get the required status, a Qantas Club membership is more money than Admiral's Club, and I was thinking of getting the membership via the Citi Executive card anyway).

I came across the same thing on the AA site. At the time, I just assumed I had misremembered the bit about reciprocal club access, but after seeing this thread I guess it really has changed.

With respect to reciprocity, in the Qantas Club access page on the Qantas website it says:

Each time you travel on a Qantas or Jetstar flight number you will have access to:
  • All Qantas Club lounges when travelling within Australia
  • All Qantas International Business Lounges when travelling overseas
  • Emirates Business Lounge in Dubai
  • American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges in London and other locations - visit www.aa.com for lounge locations
  • Associated lounges in most international ports that Qantas flies to but where there is no Qantas or partner airline lounge. Our associated lounges are operated by, or on behalf of, other airlines
It looks like you need to be flying on a QF flight number to access an Admiral's Club lounge. So, it seems this is a reciprocal deal and neither side has it better than the other. Seems like a fairly limited benefit then...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Funny, I was looking at getting an Admiral's Club membership last weekend, thinking it would get me into The Qantas Club (more of my flying is in Australia than the US, I don't fly OneWorld enough to get the required status, a Qantas Club membership is more money than Admiral's Club, and I was thinking of getting the membership via the Citi Executive card anyway).

I came across the same thing on the AA site. At the time, I just assumed I had misremembered the bit about reciprocal club access, but after seeing this thread I guess it really has changed.

With respect to reciprocity, in the Qantas Club access page on the Qantas website it says:

It looks like you need to be flying on a QF flight number to access an Admiral's Club lounge. So, it seems this is a reciprocal deal and neither side has it better than the other. Seems like a fairly limited benefit then...
The value of this AA - QF Club recipripocity benefit has declined substantially. Another "stealth" devaluative change has been slid upon us. : td:
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:00 am

Please note Qantas Club access by Admirals Club members has changed significantly and has become much more restrictive. You no longer gain access when flying Qantas; you must be flying AA or an AA codeshare operated by Qantas the same day!

From the wiki:

Admirals Club members

As an Admirals Club annual, lifetime or 30-day member, Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Card primary cardholder, or AirPass member with Admirals Club privileges, you’re welcome to access:

The Qantas Club (There are 37 Qantas Clubs)

Must present your membership card (or 30 Day Membership receipt) and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same day travel on an American Airlines or US Airways operated flight or an American Airlines marketed flight operated by Qantas. (This is a significant change to previous policy.)

When you arrive, please present your:
  • Government-issued photo ID
  • Admirals Club (or US Airways Club) membership card
  • Boarding pass for same day travel when accessing Qantas... Lounges.
(N.B. This appears to be a recent and significant change that allowed Admirals Club members to access Qantas Clubs the same day they are flying Qantas.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
So, in light of JDiver's updates, now I don't feel quite so bad for giving up my long-time Admirals Club membership/Citi Exec card for the Prestige's mere Admirals Club "access." And of course that's not going to work for any partner lounges, including Qantas's.

For me this is all admittedly somewhat theoretical since I've never been to Australia -- no non-stop from DFW. Until just this past year. Now whenever one of my flights taxis past Terminal D, I look over at the Qantas A-380 sometimes parked there and I think, "Hey, I could be on that flight!"
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
So, in light of JDiver's updates, now I don't feel quite so bad for giving up my long-time Admirals Club membership/Citi Exec card for the Prestige's mere Admirals Club "access." And of course that's not going to work for any partner lounges, including Qantas's.

For me this is all admittedly somewhat theoretical since I've never been to Australia -- no non-stop from DFW. Until just this past year. Now whenever one of my flights taxis past Terminal D, I look over at the Qantas A-380 sometimes parked there and I think, "Hey, I could be on that flight!"
Does Prestige come bundled with Priority Pass? That's more useful in many cases.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Please note Qantas Club access by Admirals Club members has changed significantly and has become much more restrictive. You no longer gain access when flying Qantas; you must be flying AA or an AA codeshare operated by Qantas the same day!
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, I also just noticed this earlier today... I am flying SYD-SYD on Qantas tomorrow (flying back on an Emirates-operated flight, so wanted to see what the rules said).

I had actually bought a 30 day AC membership with that expectation of there being Qantas Lounge access if flying Qantas, and booked flights on that basis as well.

Guess I will just email the AC team and see if they can advise if I still have access to the lounges. Hopefully they will be able to clearly confirm who this change affects, and if it affects me provide a solution to this.

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 29, 2015 at 9:01 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I was on a trip through Australia in March and transited through both the Qantas SYD domestic and international lounges. Both were incredibly full when I passed through (mid-day, a Mon, a Wed and a Thur) to the point that it was very hard to find two seats together and I did see quite a few people either waiting for someone to leave and a few sitting on the floor. I am wondering if this was done as a way to reduce the crowding? Since I don't go through Australia regularly I have no way of knowing if what I experienced was normal for these clubs or perhaps just a coincidence.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FallenPlat

There has been a non-stop from DFW since May 2011.

In any case, can anyone report the success of Qantas Club access from a Citi Exec card? As I understand it, the card provides the full benefits of Admirals Club membership, so access should be provided.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by deeruck
There has been a non-stop from DFW since May 2011.

In any case, can anyone report the success of Qantas Club access from a Citi Exec card? As I understand it, the card provides the full benefits of Admirals Club membership, so access should be provided.
But, that's what we're discussing here. The new rules state Admirals Club membership no longer provides Qantas Club access when flying Qantas - one must now be flying AA or an AA codeshare operated by QF the same day to gain access.

This is far different than the access to QF Clubs anytime we were flying Qantas- é.g. SYD-CNS, as I did last November, etc. And I know I was able to do this last year, with my Club membership (which I converted to Executive card based membership some time ago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.