FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   With one day left AA error correction drops me on ExPlat 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2001887-one-day-left-aa-error-correction-drops-me-explat-2020-a.html)

cbrown5294 Dec 30, 2019 5:45 pm

With one day left AA error correction drops me on ExPlat 2020

The Morning of 12/26 I was sitting at $12,048 EQD and 104,032 EQM. My Barclays $3k EQD is due any day and told it can post in Jan so will be retro.

I called into AA on 12/26 to inquire about a missing Hyatt points from a trip in August. I gave them the flight which was LAX-LHR-MAD on 8/25. The agent said they will need to repost in order to have it convert over to Hyatt points. Hung up and looked at my account and see my miles/EQM/EQD went way down. The flight was now posted in M coach class. (we were on a paid Biz class)

Right away I called back and the agent said not to worry by the next morning all will be corrected.

On 12/27 I logged in and see it was not corrected. Called AA and the agent said there was an error and the manually fixed it. Hung up and now I was at $11,058/98,576

Called back and got a supervisor. Spent an hour and explained where I was sitting at the day before , had her reference my mothers AA account and earnings should be the same. She found that somehow the AA flight LAX-LHR was posted in J (originally flying LAX-LHR-BCN) but flight to BCN was cancelled and they rerouted us to MAD.

She agreed to revert and put everything back into J and my EQD/EQM were back to $12,048/104,032 EQM. She was very understanding and said 100% not to worry and made tons of notes etc.

Today 12/30 I log back in and sure enough its back to the $11,058/98,576!

Called and 2 hours later and numerous supervisors they said it was an error back in August the way it was posted and the auditing dept is the one who put it back into I class and nothingcan be done since auditing will revert it back to I always. Sowith 24hrs left in 2019 I am all of a sudden short on both.

They are saying the basic issue is back in August the flight was posted in J instead of I class. I don’t analyze all my flights and earnings and go by what AA is telling me I need to fly and spend. My argument to them is their system error and agent error on Friday telling me “not to worry” is now become my problem with less than 1 day left in the year to make it up.

Not sure what else I can do except write coporate etc.

P.S: The real kicker is the whole reason the flight was rebooked in the first place was because LHR-BCN was cancelled and they rebooked us to MAD. A real pain and threw the entire short trip off but I did not even complain or ask anything of AA/BA for having to fly 5 hours away from our original destination.

arollins Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Why you waited 4 month to ask AA on this?

AAExecPlatFlier Dec 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Sorry this happened, but You played with fire and lost.

never ever ever call any type of attention to a misposting in your favor.

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 31890882)
The Morning of 12/26 I was sitting at $12,048 EQD and 104,032 EQM. My Barclays $3k EQD is due any day and told it can post in Jan so will be retro.

I called into AA on 12/26 to inquire about a missing Hyatt points from a trip in August. I gave them the flight which was LAX-LHR-MAD on 8/25. The agent said they will need to repost in order to have it convert over to Hyatt points. Hung up and looked at my account and see my miles/EQM/EQD went way down. The flight was now posted in M coach class. (we were on a paid Biz class)

Right away I called back and the agent said not to worry by the next morning all will be corrected.

On 12/27 I logged in and see it was not corrected. Called AA and the agent said there was an error and the manually fixed it. Hung up and now I was at $11,058/98,576

Called back and got a supervisor. Spent an hour and explained where I was sitting at the day before , had her reference my mothers AA account and earnings should be the same. She found that somehow the AA flight LAX-LHR was posted in J (originally flying LAX-LHR-BCN) but flight to BCN was cancelled and they rerouted us to MAD.

She agreed to revert and put everything back into J and my EQD/EQM were back to $12,048/104,032 EQM. She was very understanding and said 100% not to worry and made tons of notes etc.

Today 12/30 I log back in and sure enough its back to the $11,058/98,576!

Called and 2 hours later and numerous supervisors they said it was an error back in August the way it was posted and the auditing dept is the one who put it back into I class and nothingcan be done since auditing will revert it back to I always. Sowith 24hrs left in 2019 I am all of a sudden short on both.

They are saying the basic issue is back in August the flight was posted in J instead of I class. I don’t analyze all my flights and earnings and go by what AA is telling me I need to fly and spend. My argument to them is their system error and agent error on Friday telling me “not to worry” is now become my problem with less than 1 day left in the year to make it up.

Not sure what else I can do except write coporate etc.

P.S: The real kicker is the whole reason the flight was rebooked in the first place was because LHR-BCN was cancelled and they rebooked us to MAD. A real pain and threw the entire short trip off but I did not even complain or ask anything of AA/BA for having to fly 5 hours away from our original destination.

cbrown5294 Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 31890917)
Why you waited 4 month to ask AA on this?

Everything was fine until I called to inquire about the missing Hyatt cross points post
that’s what created the mess

Often1 Dec 30, 2019 6:32 pm

The manual entries almost certainly caused the account to be sent over to audit for a review. Basic internal controls.

Presuming that AA's analysis is correct, AA did not "sc*e*" you in the least. It may be unfortunate and may leave you short of EXP, but you never were at that level.

I would focus on calling AA to see if they can scramble a buy-up offer for you (if that is of interest).

By next week, there will be a whole series of posts similar to this, but they will be UA or DL as well.

cbrown5294 Dec 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31891009)
The manual entries almost certainly caused the account to be sent over to audit for a review. Basic internal controls.

Presuming that AA's analysis is correct, AA did not "sc*e*" you in the least. It may be unfortunate and may leave you short of EXP, but you never were at that level.

I would focus on calling AA to see if they can scramble a buy-up offer for you (if that is of interest).

By next week, there will be a whole series of posts similar to this, but they will be UA or DL as well.

So by the supervisor on Friday fixing and telling me it’s back to normal and not to worry it including all the notes and telling me I was at the threshold was met then on the 30th saying that’s incorrect ? I could have done a quick trip over the weekend if that was the case
To me that is what makes it worse

erik123 Dec 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Use email/web form and not phone is my advice.

Dave Noble Dec 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 31891025)
So by the supervisor on Friday fixing and telling me it’s back to normal and not to worry it including all the notes and telling me I was at the threshold was met then on the 30th saying that’s incorrect ? I could have done a quick trip over the weekend if that was the case
To me that is what makes it worse

From what you have posted, it seems that the department setting it to 'I' class rather leaving it as 'J' is correctly fixing the mistake , so no one is screwing you. This is a case where just accepting the unplanned bonus and not worrying about the other points might have been the wiser course

LAX-LHR-MAD is 5456 miles and the difference in EQM earning between I and J would be 5446 miles
It would seem that the EQD earning must have credited by distance rather than fare and for special fares the difference would seem to be $1092 between I and J

cbrown5294 Dec 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31891102)
From what you have posted, it seems that the department setting it to 'I' class rather leaving it as 'J' is correctly fixing the mistake , so no one is screwing you. This is a case where just accepting the unplanned bonus and not worrying about the other points might have been the wiser course

LAX-LHR-MAD is 5456 miles and the difference in EQM earning between I and J would be 5446 miles
It would seem that the EQD earning must have credited by distance rather than fare and for special fares the difference would seem to be $1092 between I and J

that makes sense and I would have accepted that on Friday from the supervisor and booked a trip over the weekend to make up the difference
When the supervisor tells you a number and it’s backed up by what AA app says you believe it or should have faith in that

NauticalWheeler Dec 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Just curious...how many Hyatt points are we talking about? Might have been better to call in January after year end stats were hopefully (somewhat) final.

Antarius Dec 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Doesnt EXP need 15k anyways? So either way, 12k or less than 12k would be short

cbrown5294 Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31891213)
Doesnt EXP need 15k anyways? So either way, 12k or less than 12k would be short

$3000 EQD from Barclays

Dave Noble Dec 30, 2019 7:53 pm

regardless, it seems that it has just fixed an error and cannot see that the airline is likely to unfix it

tennessetom Dec 30, 2019 7:58 pm

You can call customer service and ask for a review. Explain the facts and circumstances calmly and clearly. They might be willing to grant you status. The people I know that have the greatest success have been ex plat for multiple years and or do mostly business travel with desirable Corp accounts.

NauticalWheeler Dec 30, 2019 8:07 pm

It looks like the thread title has been modified by corporate. Good luck OP.