Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

With one day left AA error correction drops me on ExPlat 2020

With one day left AA error correction drops me on ExPlat 2020

Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
The agent (the top supervisor I was informed) made a mistake. This is after the system made a mistake . That’s two mistakes by AA. I have to now pick up the pieces with 24 hrs left in the 2019 and go figure it out ?
when one is assured by the top agent and supervisor all is sorted that should certainly be enough confidence to move forward.
To address the shortfall with less than 24 hrs left in the year is sure madness I can’t drop everything and take off in a few hours notice. A few days yes no problem and if I was informed on Friday of the shortfall and original error that would have been acceptable. I was assured the opposite instead that no further action was to be needed and I recall her final words to me “all
is fine and enjoy your time home don’t worry its all set”
those notes are all supported in AA system confirmed today
Unfortunately, the agent made a mistake. And AA should apologize for that and provide some re-training. They might even throw you some bonus miles as a goodwill gesture. However, you really aren’t due anything else. You earned FF metrics incorrectly and the airline has every right to correct it. Just as you would seek to correct it if it were the other way around.

Look, I am a chronic complainer and I consider myself to be exceptionally good at it. By the time I am done writing a complaint to a company, the person reading it tends to feel so much empathy (or at least the strong desire to put the issue to rest quickly) that they usually just give me what I want. However, I would not even know where to begin in crafting an email complaint for this issue that would allow you to get the EQD and EQM that you want/seek/need.

Please let us know how your flights turned out yesterday, because we are all hoping you took them and re-qualified for EXP status.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So, OP....it is 1/1/20. What say you??
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
So, OP....it is 1/1/20. What say you??
After my last conversation with the top supervisor at Advantage late a Monday she 100% agreed while an original posting error the other supervisor on Friday made the ultimate final error by assuring me all was ok. She wrote up a report and kicked it up to the Executive offices and said will hear from them in January sometime. In her opinion it’s not right and was very vocal about that
No way I have AA another dollar the last day of the year. If the offices come back and don’t stand behind what their agent said I am going to walk away from
AA and focus all on Delta . I always end around 100k with Delta with $10-$13k spend . Could easily move over all the AA biz and get Diamond. I am also Hawaiian Gold and with sole flying back and forth on HA for my Hawaii trips hit HA Platinum

yesterday spent the day reviewing all my AA flights the past 24 months and came to the realization except a few lax-dfw flights all others were ones I went far out of my way to earn on AA and had to endure crappy USAir transcon/oasis 737s and pain in the neck Eagles nest at Lax.
In the end I truly realized that this issue forced me to take a look back and realign my strategy moving forward. Sure I will take the occasional Lax-Jfk and upgrade to FC when I want to and if I am purchasing BC to Europe maybe still fly AA due to the nice 773 but that’s all paid anyways so for all my domestic and Hawaii flying time to focus on the ones that are best for these routes

Sometimes you have to take a step back and take off the blindfold and put down the cool aid

As my favorite Grateful Dead quote goes
Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:01 pm

After my last conversation with the top supervisor at Advantage late a Monday she 100% agreed while an original posting error the other supervisor on Friday made the ultimate final error by assuring me all was ok. She wrote up a report and kicked it up to the Executive offices and said will hear from them in January sometime. In her opinion it’s not right and was very vocal about that
No way I have AA another dollar the last day of the year. If the offices come back and don’t stand behind what their agent said I am going to walk away from
AA and focus all on Delta . I always end around 100k with Delta with $10-$13k spend . Could easily move over all the AA biz and get Diamond. I am also Hawaiian Gold and with sole flying back and forth on HA for my Hawaii trips hit HA Platinum

yesterday spent the day reviewing all my AA flights the past 24 months and came to the realization except a few lax-dfw flights all others were ones I went far out of my way to earn on AA and had to endure crappy USAir transcon/oasis 737s and pain in the neck Eagles nest at Lax.
In the end I truly realized that this issue forced me to take a look back and realign my strategy moving forward. Sure I will take the occasional Lax-Jfk and upgrade to FC when I want to and if I am purchasing BC to Europe maybe still fly AA due to the nice 773 but that’s all paid anyways so for all my domestic and Hawaii flying time to focus on the ones that are best for these routes

Sometimes you have to take a step back and take off the blindfold and put down the cool aid

As my favorite Grateful Dead quote goes
Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
We here at American Airlines have enjoyed serving you and we wish you all the best with your upcoming travels on Delta.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Welcome to DL, but sorry to hear the story.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
and said will hear from them in January sometime
Probably not I'm afraid.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
Probably not I'm afraid.
Based on what, exactly?
TheDudeAbides and Madison Guy like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
To those of you saying the OP didn't get messed with, are you fully considering the part where a supervisor told him that AA would honor the original error? If not for that, would totally agree, but to rules-lawyer this s**t the way you all love to, there is nothing in the AAdvantage terms and conditions that says an agent of AA cannot waive a term, and it seems quite clear to me that a supervisor telling the OP that she would restore the posting error is waiving the term that flights post under the original booking class. This is particularly true on a date where the OP obviously had to rely on that statement for his year-end plans.

With that said, good god OP, what were you thinking? If you get a J-class posting error, do not try to get your missing handful of Hyatt points!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SamOF
With that said, good god OP, what were you thinking? If you get a J-class posting error, do not try to get your missing handful of Hyatt points!
+1!!! How many Hyatt points could he be talking about? I note OP never shared that.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
If the issue was LHR-MAD being posted in J instead of I, I’m not sure how that results in a several thousand EQP reduction. LHR-MAD is about 770 miles, so that should be the amount deducted from the account. If this all happened before departure (in LA), I’m not sure why AA/BA/IB couldn’t have gotten a business class passenger to BCN...?
CMTinPHL and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
If the issue was LHR-MAD being posted in J instead of I, I’m not sure how that results in a several thousand EQP reduction.
Special fares - fare data unavailable vs the actual fare.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
If the issue was LHR-MAD being posted in J instead of I, I’m not sure how that results in a several thousand EQP reduction.
Originally Posted by donotblink
Special fares - fare data unavailable vs the actual fare.
Or the long-haul LAX-LHR got rebooked into/reposted as J as well.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
To those of you saying the OP didn't get messed with, are you fully considering the part where a supervisor told him that AA would honor the original error? If not for that, would totally agree, but to rules-lawyer this s**t the way you all love to, there is nothing in the AAdvantage terms and conditions that says an agent of AA cannot waive a term, and it seems quite clear to me that a supervisor telling the OP that she would restore the posting error is waiving the term that flights post under the original booking class. This is particularly true on a date where the OP obviously had to rely on that statement for his year-end plans.

I've been told loads of BS by agents, supervisors included. Sometimes you get lucky and other times you do not. AA has a rapidly declining service standard, it appears, so it isnt out of the ordinary to hear agents making up rules or applying their own personal opinion to it

In the cases where you do not, it's tough sledding arguing that you were wrong, the agent was also wrong and therefore you should get the wrong behavior to stand.

The broader issue is covered by your last paragraph. If you are relying on an error in your favor, do not call attention to it. And if you do, and it goes back to how it was, then that's what you were slated to get in the first place.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Great, is there written evidence of what the supervisor allegedly said?
Even if we believe the supervisor had said that, if it went to court it doesn't matter what is beleived to have happened, it is what can be proven.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mvoight
Great, is there written evidence of what the supervisor allegedly said?
Even if we believe the supervisor had said that, if it went to court it doesn't matter what is beleived to have happened, it is what can be proven.
I mean, there's certainly evidence in the PNR history, and likely a recorded phone call as well. All of which would be discoverable evidence if there were somehow a court case about this.

And all of which AA has easy access to, if they wanted to verify what the supervisor said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.