Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need advice, I think I've been mistreated by AA on award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice, I think I've been mistreated by AA on award flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Omni Plat, Southwest A+ Pref
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm afraid that you did make a change with BA, you didn't initiate it but you accepted it. It wasn't "done" until you paid for it. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't have to have an advanced degree in dealing with AA screwups, and we feel sympathy. But saying you made no change is not helpful to you.
Ok, I did not realize paying the ticket carrier (AA) what they demanded to issue the ticket to BA constitutes me making a change with BA. Honestly. I was told by AA either pay or there is no ticket and I wasn't in a position to spend time fighting it there. If that means I made the change with BA, then so be it.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm afraid that you did make a change with BA, you didn't initiate it but you accepted it. It wasn't "done" until you paid for it. Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't have to have an advanced degree in dealing with AA screwups, and we feel sympathy. But saying you made no change is not helpful to you.
I don't see this as an AA screw up. It was, if anything, a BA screw up. OP called in to pay for optional seat fees. It was BA which turned that into a reroute rather than advising OP to contact AA.

AA sees a change and does not ticket the change because the change causes an add/collect which has not been paid. When the three-way call occurs, the BA participant should have made it clear that this was an involuntary reroute. Either AA would reject the reroute and insist that it handle the rebooking (and then offer up whatever it is that OP wanted or what BA had already rebooked) or it would have allowed the BA reroute to stand and waived the add/collect.

There is a decent chance that OP's travel insurance will cover the costs of the reroute, hotel, and associated meals.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jliehr
This is going to be a difficult one, American didn't cancel your flight, BA did. You are very unlikely to get AA to refund much of anything on this one. You had the right to cancel the return completely at this point or request a schedule change that worked for you personally.Stop using words that are emotional such as demanded or extorted, they only make the other side defensive and less likely to help.

Send a summary to both AA and BA of the facts of the case and what you think is an acceptable customer service gesture.

I did not receive notice of the involuntary schedule change, BA cancelled the flight on 12/13 resulting in an unplanned 24 hours in London resulting in an unplanned hotel stay that cost XXX.

There was a mix up with the re-issue of the ticket due to the involuntary schedule change, as a result I was only presented with the option to pay an additional 22K miles which resulted in an unplanned transfer from my wife's account costing $232 and 22K miles we had not planned on using. Additionally, this resulted in having to pay the UK Air Passenger Duty of Ł172 X 2 passengers which cost $493 when converted to USD.

While I understand that travel often has unplanned changes, this involuntary change resulted in significant unexpected expenses. As a result, I am requesting a customer service gesture of XXX to offset these additional unplanned expenses.
Thank you for this advice and example message, it is well thought out. Of course, I would not use trigger words when dealing with a business in writing, but I did say those things to the agent when they called because I was so shocked. And I shared here too, which I shouldn't have.

Thanks again.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Old Key West; Dec 27, 2019 at 12:37 pm
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm confused by AA's demand for an additional 22,000 miles. The OP's return trip from Europe to BNA was entirely on BA metal. Is AA now doing variable award pricing on partner awards?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Old Key West
.. I didn't want to call BA, but I had to purchase seat assignments, as everyone who buys biz class with BA must do. That is the only outgoing call I made.
Seat assignments with BA do not need to be paid for. They can be allocated for free closer to departure or at check-in. But at a risk of 2 people not sitting together. Mid-top level Oneworld gets seat assignment at no cost.
Very many threads in the BA forum on this paid seat assignment policy. Those with mid/top OW status generally like it.

As you were flying from Eu and on a Eu carrier EC261 may/may not apply

Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm confused by AA's demand for an additional 22,000 miles. The OP's return trip from Europe to BNA was entirely on BA metal. Is AA now doing variable award pricing on partner awards?
With more than 24hrs in London would have been split into 2 awards (as post 6 above). AA award do not allow stopovers. OP may not have been told why was more AA ff miles
JDiver and seigex like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 27, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
What a mess... BA should not even touch your reservation. All changes should have been processed by AA. You will not get the money back as these were used towards the APD tax. You may get the miles back - as a gesture of goodwill. From AA perspective this looks like a voluntary change.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Possibly 2 separate awards due to the break of greater than 24 hours, which also cause UK's departure tax to apply.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Seat assignments with BA do not need to be paid for. They can be allocated for free closer to departure or at check-in. But at a risk of 2 people not sitting together. Mid-top level Oneworld gets seat assignment at no cost.
Very many threads in the BA forum on this paid set assignment policy. Those with OW generally like it.

As you were flying from Eu and on a Eu carrier EC261 may/may not apply

With more than 24hrs in London would have been split into 2 awards (as above). AA award do not allow stopovers. OP may not have been told why was more AA ff miles
You are correct. I did not add the detail of "of what everyone must do if they want to sit together and don't have high enough status"
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had (sort of) a similar situation recently for an upcoming INTL New Year's trip. Booked J ('I' class) with AA, with a mix of AA flights and codeshares (all AA flight numbers). AA never properly ticketed the reservation, due to apparent inventory issues on the codeshare flights involving the partner airline, and never notified me.

By the time I realized we basically had nothing confirmed, fares had gone way up (booked for 2 pax for <$6k and they wanted $12k for similar itineraries, which by then were only available higher fare classes).

It took 4 days of HUCA to find an agent who would fix it, but there's no way I would have just booked another ticket, paid more, and hoped for the best. These situations MUST be worked out beforehand, it at all possible.

The final phone call that led to a resolution lasted 2 hours and 15 minutes (and was during my work day, making things very difficult), but a very thoughtful/creative agent worked with AA's tariffs department to achieve a solution. If, by chance, AA ever reads this and knows who I am, I'm still really upset about the whole thing, but at least somewhat mollified by the fact that we were at least able to work something out to avoid a complete disaster.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Possibly 2 separate awards due to the break of greater than 24 hours, which also cause UK's departure tax to apply.
OK, but even if that is the explanation, the numbers do not add up: AAdvantage charges 12,500 miles one way for an intra-European Coach award, and 17,500 miles one way for an intra-European Business Class award. How did AA come up with 22,000 additional miles required? If only one passenger was traveling, it's too much; if two passengers were traveling, it's too little.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't see this as an AA screw up. It was, if anything, a BA screw up. OP called in to pay for optional seat fees. It was BA which turned that into a reroute rather than advising OP to contact AA.

AA sees a change and does not ticket the change because the change causes an add/collect which has not been paid. When the three-way call occurs, the BA participant should have made it clear that this was an involuntary reroute. Either AA would reject the reroute and insist that it handle the rebooking (and then offer up whatever it is that OP wanted or what BA had already rebooked) or it would have allowed the BA reroute to stand and waived the add/collect.

There is a decent chance that OP's travel insurance will cover the costs of the reroute, hotel, and associated meals.
Does not AA owe the OP a notification of the schedule change? And in a better world, proactively offering an alternative? Not even clear that BA always should be involved, the best alternative might have been all AA metal, and nothing BA could have done there. A three way call may not have been needed.

Sure, BA fumbled - after AA fumbled. And given that the changes were well ahead of departure date, I'm not optimistic that travel delay or trip cancellation credit card coverages will come into play.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:34 am
Original Poster

OK, but even if that is the explanation, the numbers do not add up: AAdvantage charges 12,500 miles one way for an intra-European Coach award, and 17,500 miles one way for an intra-European Business Class award. How did AA come up with 22,000 additional miles required? If only one passenger was traveling, it's too much; if two passengers were traveling, it's too little.
Ah, it looks like it was 32,000 miles, but we had 10,000 in there, so the transfer between accounts was 22,000. So actually, it was 32,000 to AA (which still might not make the math work out).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Old Key West
I didn't want to call BA, but I had to purchase seat assignments, as everyone who buys biz class with BA must do. That is the only outgoing call I made.
No one must pay for seat selection with BA.

If you had waited until OLCI then seats are free, (In advance they are free for One World elites at varyign time frames)
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: QF WP
The EC261 angle needs more thought- I know it was over 14 days so no compo but I thought it was reroute free of charge? Also duty of care (ie hotel expense) applies regardless doesn’t it?!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No one must pay for seat selection with BA.

If you had waited until OLCI then seats are free, (In advance they are free for One World elites at varyign time frames)
You are correct and I acknowledged this in post #23 .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.