FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Flight Booked over OSU Semi Game: Wifi Good Enough for Football Game? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2001349-flight-booked-over-osu-semi-game-wifi-good-enough-football-game.html)

ryandelmundo Dec 26, 2019 1:15 pm

Flight Booked over OSU Semi Game: Wifi Good Enough for Football Game?

Well I managed to book my ticket back in August for a trip to Hong Kong.
Now, it turns out the flight is during the Ohio State Football Semi-final game. My flight is 4pm-10pm, and the game is 8pm-midnight.

I'm flying in First, PHL-LAX an award ticket. I guess I thought booking an "anytime" flight would have some benefit, but it sure seems like there's really no benefit over a mile-saver now that I'm trying to change it.

I tried to change it without much luck so I could be on the ground.

WIFI on the plane - what are the chances I can stream the game? I've never tried streaming on the plane - I know they say its not allowed but I figure I can use my VPN to get through it.

JJeffrey Dec 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo (Post 31878348)
Well I managed to book my ticket back in August for a trip to Hong Kong.
Now, it turns out the flight is during the Ohio State Football Semi-final game. My flight is 4pm-10pm, and the game is 8pm-midnight.

I'm flying in First, PHL-LAX an award ticket. I guess I thought booking an "anytime" flight would have some benefit, but it sure seems like there's really no benefit over a mile-saver now that I'm trying to change it.

I tried to change it without much luck so I could be on the ground.

WIFI on the plane - what are the chances I can stream the game? I've never tried streaming on the plane - I know they say its not allowed but I figure I can use my VPN to get through it.

AA offers a few channels of live TV, including ESPN, so you'll be able to watch the game on your own device directly via AA's inflight portal.

milesandmoremiles Dec 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31878357)
AA offers a few channels of live TV, including ESPN, so you'll be able to watch the game on your own device directly via AA's inflight portal.

Live TV is not offered on all planes yet.

cbender Dec 26, 2019 5:09 pm

I was able to stream a stage of the Tour de France last summer on an AA flight via the viasat wifi. But I've also had flights with the same service where I couldn't even browse the web. So your success will vary.

absoluy Dec 26, 2019 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by cbender (Post 31878921)
I was able to stream a stage of the Tour de France last summer on an AA flight via the viasat wifi. But I've also had flights with the same service where I couldn't even browse the web. So your success will vary.

Viasat is generally much faster than the Panasonic wifi on the 77Ws. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for having the bandwith to stream on a 77W en route to HKG - partly because they try to block streaming services, partly because wifi seems to regularly go offline once you get over the pole/towards China, but mostly because the connection just really isn't all that good.

[Edit : I just saw you're referring to the domestic segment for PHL-LAX - so you may actually have a Viasat equipped aircraft, depending on which flight you're on]

GetSetJetSet Dec 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Oh man, you need to change that flight. I assume you're a Buckeye also? O-H! I am worried about Fields' knee. 80-85% might not get it done against Clemson and let's not even think about Chugunov ending up in the game...

shoeflyer Dec 26, 2019 5:32 pm

If video is not possible, you might have luck with TuneIn Radio. It's usually free to listen to college games,
but probably wise to download the app before flight just in case you need it. Audio obviously requires much
less bandwidth than video....

mabatross1 Dec 26, 2019 6:11 pm

I was on UA flight from HK to SFO for the OSU vs Michigan game in Nov. I was able to watch most of the game. They do some time block steaming, so you may have to use a VPN (e.g. your company VPN)

OH

MikeShores Dec 27, 2019 8:46 am

I presume you're on 726 which is an A332. You will have XTV IFE option which includes Sport2 and Sport 2 Extra as live television options (seatback). Maybe someone else can help with program guides for those channels.