Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

do you get 500 mile upgrades when dropping from EXP to PLT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP

I'm just wondering if AA puts a certain number of 500 mile upgrades in your account when you drop from EXP to PLT or do you just start with zero?

Thanks
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
You will have as many 500 mile upgrades as you currently have. If the number is zero, then it will be zero. No "bonus" upgrades are granted for failure to requalify for EXP. You could have 500 mile upgrades from the time before you reached EXP or they could be purchased any time.
FlyingEgghead and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
unfortunately no...
You would think that AA might give you a few,, but that is something AA should consider.
After all.. .. at the end of the day.. does it really cost AA anything, if your chances of using them are low
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by fotographer
unfortunately no...
You would think that AA might give you a few,, but that is something AA should consider.
After all.. .. at the end of the day.. does it really cost AA anything, if your chances of using them are low
It does cost AA something if you would have bought them anyway. I bought a bunch several years ago when I dropped from EXP to PLT.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by coolcoil
It does cost AA something if you would have bought them anyway. I bought a bunch several years ago when I dropped from EXP to PLT.
sorry if I was not clear... what I was trying to say was that , in good will from AA, gving EXP that drop to any lower level , lets say 8 500mile certs would be nice.
After all, AA has been trying to attract other flyers with offers of way more than that.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fotographer
sorry if I was not clear... what I was trying to say was that , in good will from AA, gving EXP that drop to any lower level , lets say 8 500mile certs would be nice.
After all, AA has been trying to attract other flyers with offers of way more than that.
The idea that AA would give us anything as a goodwill gesture when dropping from EXP to Platinum, or any status, is contrary to the prevailing spirit at AA and... interesting. When I did exactly that after 17 years of EXP I got what I expected: bupkis.
fotographer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by william142
I'm just wondering if AA puts a certain number of 500 mile upgrades in your account when you drop from EXP to PLT or do you just start with zero?

Thanks
They don't take them away when you make EXP, and they don't give more to you when you lose EXP status
Sounds fair
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Nope, start earning.

Luckily I still have 40 from when I graduated from Plat to Plat Pro.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Originally Posted by mvoight
They don't take them away when you make EXP, and they don't give more to you when you lose EXP status
Sounds fair
Well not fair when you came over from us airways as top tier so never had any to begin with. Maybe one day they will copy delta and United like they do in every other area and get rid of the stickers...
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by william142
Well not fair when you came over from us airways as top tier so never had any to begin with. Maybe one day they will copy delta and United like they do in every other area and get rid of the stickers...
When I came over from US Airways, AAdvantage gave me about 45 stickers. I know I wasn't alone, as several other people I know received tons of stickers.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I got between 25 and 30 when I came over.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:39 am

I'd settle for reverting back to the practice of not having to burn an extra when marginally over the 500 threshold, e.g., SFO - JFK at 2,500 & change.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
No the OP won't earn 4 stickers until he/she flys 12.5K BIS miles. I doubt AA will hand out stickers as a means for a soft landing. Earned or purchased stickers came from the LAA side and I doubt that Parker would ever give up that revenue stream.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
i kinda get this, but not totally. To put a twist on it, I am someone who comes and goes between EXP and Plat. When, as and EXP, I do not get an upgrade, I have effectively expended the potential for an upgrade. But, as a PLT, I have lost nothing, as my certs remain intact. In fact, I earn more miles toward more certs.Given the higher priority as EXP, I do not mind too much. But, it would be nice to earn miles towards upgrades on flights when I am not upgraded......thoughts?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by bxbkqu
i kinda get this, but not totally. To put a twist on it, I am someone who comes and goes between EXP and Plat. When, as and EXP, I do not get an upgrade, I have effectively expended the potential for an upgrade. But, as a PLT, I have lost nothing, as my certs remain intact. In fact, I earn more miles toward more certs.Given the higher priority as EXP, I do not mind too much. But, it would be nice to earn miles towards upgrades on flights when I am not upgraded......thoughts?
I think most FT'ers would be willing to stipulate that is would be nice if AA gave stickers to EXPs who fall from grace, go back to allowing the extra 50 miles on a sticker, or even giving EXPs mileage credit toward stickers when they don't score an upgrade. But we can all name a bunch of things that it would be "nice" of AA to do, particularly things that benefit those in our own particular situations.

FWIW, I think AA has done some nice things for me as a PLT lately: (1) allowing PLTs in the FL on international flights (I expected it to be EXP-only), and (2) free drinks in MCE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.