FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   You really can’t check bags in earlier than 4 hours before a flight in Vegas? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2001263-you-really-can-t-check-bags-earlier-than-4-hours-before-flight-vegas.html)

chitraveler1975 Dec 25, 2019 8:18 pm

You really can’t check bags in earlier than 4 hours before a flight in Vegas?

Executive platinum flying in first class. Shocked to learn they won’t take bags earlier than four hours before flight. Agent had zero flexibility or leeway - says the computer won’t even let her attempt it. Is this another American “enhancement”? Disappointed when the airport help desk said other airlines happily take bags early on quiet days like today. There goes my nice dinner on the strip.

Dave Noble Dec 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Seems that you are easily shocked. Not being able to check in > 4 hours in advance of a flight is pretty normal

Having EP status and class of service are not generally that relevant to it

metallo Dec 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by chitraveler1975 (Post 31876433)
Executive platinum flying in first class. Shocked to learn they won’t take bags earlier than four hours before flight. Agent had zero flexibility or leeway - says the computer won’t even let her attempt it. Is this another American “enhancement”? Disappointed when the airport help desk said other airlines happily take bags early on quiet days like today. There goes my nice dinner on the strip.

Vegas... and Denver, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Portland, Salt Lake City, and Seattle.

Clearly posted at this link.

What would status or class of service would have to do with this?

USFlyerUS Dec 25, 2019 8:51 pm

This has been the policy for as long as I can remember.

dunno282 Dec 25, 2019 8:54 pm

why not leave it at the hotel instead of making a trip to the airport just to drop off the bags and go back to the strip

fotographer Dec 26, 2019 5:23 am

Sorry is it just me.. or are a lot of people "shocked" at the slightest things in life?

djp98374 Dec 26, 2019 8:15 am

<deleted post removed by moderator>

especially when this is pretty common policy with all domestic airlines

Also...4 hrs is usually the layover limit on domestic flights for booking options

linglingfool Dec 26, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by dunno282 (Post 31876484)
why not leave it at the hotel instead of making a trip to the airport just to drop off the bags and go back to the strip

Checking bags earlier would allow OP to arrive later to the airport, instead of leaving an extra cushion to check bags and then waiting around.

footballfanatic Dec 26, 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31876457)
Seems that you are easily shocked. Not being able to check in > 4 hours in advance of a flight is pretty normal

Having EP status and class of service are not generally that relevant to it

Agreed for economy non-status flyers.

However, it’s completely relevant and possible on other airlines, such as BA at LHR, tied exactly to class of travel or status as the OP states! It seems like this isn’t the norm for domestic airlines though.

Often1 Dec 26, 2019 9:36 am

To be clear, the 4-hour rule only applies at the seven airports very clearly listed on the AA website. At those counters, the system locks the kiosks and agents. Elsewhere, it is same day and you may check your bag as soon as the counter opens for the day.

OP may be shocked, but LAS has been on this list for as long as I can remember.

catawba Dec 26, 2019 12:47 pm

In case it makes OP feel better, I have flown to all those airports many times, I have flown American/US Air/America West for 36 years, and I never knew this 4 hour maximum existed at those airports.

JTE458 Dec 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool (Post 31877563)
Checking bags earlier would allow OP to arrive later to the airport, instead of leaving an extra cushion to check bags and then waiting around.

Or maybe OP is driving into Vegas after a roadtrip and not staying in town?

william142 Dec 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Probably have limited storage available at these outposts.

wrp96 Dec 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by william142 (Post 31878412)
Probably have limited storage available at these outposts.

That's absolutely why they have the rule at FLL. It is not uncommon on Saturdays and Sundays to see people just off cruise ships sitting with piles of luggage waiting to be able to check in, especially for Southwest, not just AA. And a good percentage of them can be heard complaining about the rule and how "no other airport/airline has this rule."

UKtravelbear Dec 26, 2019 2:36 pm

BA has a 2 hour rule at some airports including LCY, AMS, CPH and GVA so it's clear other airports and airlines have similar rules - and these are 4 airports that have a significant number of BA flights each day.