Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL Maintenance Revenge on Dallas Cowboys (and widebody maintenance question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

This past Sunday (Dec 22, 2019) - The Dallas Cowboy's chartered an AA 772. Looks like it ended up having some maintence issues, stranding the team for a few hours (unclear if it was a crew timeout issue or a mechanical issue)
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/...nded-in-philly

But got me thinking, starting in Jan, PHL is scheduled to get a 788 for a daily DFW, ORD and MAN. Curious to see if the PHL maintenance crew is ready to service these Boeing widebodies - as well as expanding the crewbase to staff the multiple 788 flights. I know Legacy US has some 767s based in PHL, and those crews are cross-rated onto the 757s. But 787 is a completely new rating type.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by peetahvw
This past Sunday (Dec 22, 2019) - The Dallas Cowboy's chartered an AA 772. Looks like it ended up having some maintence issues, stranding the team for a few hours (unclear if it was a crew timeout issue or a mechanical issue)
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/...nded-in-philly

But got me thinking, starting in Jan, PHL is scheduled to get a 788 for a daily DFW, ORD and MAN. Curious to see if the PHL maintenance crew is ready to service these Boeing widebodies - as well as expanding the crewbase to staff the multiple 788 flights. I know Legacy US has some 767s based in PHL, and those crews are cross-rated onto the 757s. But 787 is a completely new rating type.
I’m confused. Are you really somehow assuming that in any lifetime an airline will regularly schedule an aircraft to fly to a city where its maintenance personnel have not been trained on the aircraft? The expectation is that they will just wing in?

Hmmmmmm...what could possibly go wrong there?
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
All I’m seeing is a brief mention that a flight was delayed due to a maintenance issue (which happen every day) and no allegations that it was deliberate ‘revenge’ by AA maintenance workers on the cowboys whose performance (or lack of) is the main thrust of the article.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Crews for the 788 will likely commute in from another base like ORD or DFW. Maintenance will be handled as it is at any other AA city if there's an issue. The major work will still be relegated to Tulsa and other large bases. Over the next few years as the 767s are phased out, PHL will get more 787 service and the crews based there will likely be moved over.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
I would have cancelled the charter and made the team walk home. Pathetic game in Philly!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Given the Cowboys' performance, I'm sure that no PHL-based crew would have been holding a grudge of any kind. Now if Dak Prescott had been on target with a few more throws, it might have been a different story.

Eagles fans don't hate the Cowboys. Hate is far too mild a word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.