Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Currently delayed by 69 hours - compensation granted (to merge)

Old Dec 22, 19, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

My original AA flight from DEN to DFW on Dec. 21, 2019 was delayed by 2+ hours because the aircraft was not available/hadn't landed at my departure city. The flight before was delayed for an unknown reason. This delay made it impossible for my family to make the connecting flight in Dallas from DFW to RTB. We were supposed to land in RTB on Dec. 21, 2019.

We are now rebooked on the first available flights from DEN to RTB (overnight layover in IAH) a UA flight departing Dec. 23, 2019 and arriving on Dec. 24, 2019. Two of the three bags we checked were delivered to us at baggage claim on Dec. 21, 2019. The third bag went on the flight to Dallas. I have contacted AA baggage service and they are routing the bag back to DEN.

I have reviewed section 19 of the Montreal Convention, but I still have some questions.

Questions:

1. AA gate agent suggested I write to AA Customer Relations via their website to seek additional compensation. She didn't have any other suggestions. What "compensation" have others recently (past year) received for an international delay of this length? Vouchers? Miles? Monetary?

2. What proof or paperwork do I need to provide?

3. Will AA pay for my hotel in IAH since I now have an overnight layover? Will they give me a voucher? Or reimburse me?

4. What is the most successful way to communicate with an airline for compensation? I was told it had to be done via the AA website? Have others tried other forms of communication with or without success?

5. Any other advice? Three days is a very long delay.
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
What credit card did you use to book the tickets? It will be much easier to get reimbursed for actual costs on most credit cards than it will be to get anything other than a voucher or miles as goodwill from AA.
wetrat0 and MareLuce like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. There is no compensation for delays in the US. You may obtain some goodwill gesture from AA, but that will largely be dependent on the reason for the original delay. It is not for an "unknown reason" you simply don't know the reason and really need to find that out as it will make a difference.

2. If you accepted a reroute involving an overnight, AA will not reimburse your hotel. You may ask at IAH for a voucher but are unlikely to get anything.

3. Your bag has been located and apparently rerouted. As this was part of an international journey, if there were any interim expenses for items in that bag, you could claim for them, but that seems odd under the circumstances.

As noted, this is a fairly easy claim against your travel insurance and it should pick up your meals and hotels or a set amount based on the length of the delay.
wetrat0 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I will check the insurance with my credit card company. I had forgotten about it. And I will ask about a voucher.

Baggage update: my missing luggage is in Houston. So, I will pick it up on my way through tomorrow.
Old Dec 22, 19, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

( assuming a through ticket )

Since this is an international journey, the Montreal Convention does apply and the airline does become liable for costs incurred due to misconnect

There is no compensation per se, but costs incurred should be able to be claimed - see article 19 and article 22
MareLuce likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sorry to hear what the OP is going thru.. no fun
maybe its time for us to adopt the EU protections here in the states..
(of course , I am sure the airlines will lobby against it, at all costs)
ezefllying likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:40 am

Any cargo vessels headed from the Port of Houston through the Panama Canal? You might be able to get there more quickly for the price of a couple cases of beer...
boss315 and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
sorry to hear what the OP is going thru.. no fun
maybe its time for us to adopt the EU protections here in the states..
(of course , I am sure the airlines will lobby against it, at all costs)
As well as people who don't want to pay higher airfares!

Those who want insurance are free to obtain it. It is relatively cheap and hassle-free. Those who choose to self-insure are free to do so. No need for a nanny in Brussels (or Washington) to mandate this.

Interestingly, the original proponents of EC 261/2004 theorized that it would have the effect of encouraging better business practices by air carriers and thus fewer delays. Now, at the end of 2019, we know that has not been the case. Zero evidence that EU delays have been cut.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:06 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Looks like the OP's 12/21 DEN-DFW flight was #124 , delayed by incoming flight #2438 DFW-DEN, which was delayed by maintenance at DFW according to ExpertFlyer. There should be some level of renumeration.

Best to email customer service, laying out the facts without non-essential or emotionally driven information. Explain the costs that were incurred as a result of delayed flight AA #124 , which was a result of maintenance delay on the incoming aircraft (AA #2438 ).
chitink likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As well as people who don't want to pay higher airfares!
I can't speak to what happened to ticket prices in the EU as a result of EC261 but have you seen how stupidly cheap it is to travel via air intra-Europe? Ryanair and Easy cost less than Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier mile-for-mile. BA and LH cost less than AA and UA mile-for-mile. It's no contest whatsoever in my experience for shorthaul pricing. Harder to get a gauge on longhaul comparisons because all of the JVs mean prices are effectively the same on routes where they would "compete".

Nanny Brussels has ultimately produced a cheaper experience and cold-hard cash-money when it all goes wrong or at least a hotel during "extraordinary circumstances". More than happy to invite her over to the US as well after many a hellish night spent in the DFW area without so much as a peep of meaningful compensation from AA.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NotReallyMyThing View Post
I can't speak to what happened to ticket prices in the EU as a result of EC261 but have you seen how stupidly cheap it is to travel via air intra-Europe? Ryanair and Easy cost less than Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier mile-for-mile. BA and LH cost less than AA and UA mile-for-mile. It's no contest whatsoever in my experience for shorthaul pricing. Harder to get a gauge on longhaul comparisons because all of the JVs mean prices are effectively the same on routes where they would "compete".

Nanny Brussels has ultimately produced a cheaper experience and cold-hard cash-money when it all goes wrong or at least a hotel during "extraordinary circumstances". More than happy to invite her over to the US as well after many a hellish night spent in the DFW area without so much as a peep of meaningful compensation from AA.
Not happening in the US.
Old Dec 23, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by NotReallyMyThing View Post

I predict BA will save a lot of money after BREXIT is final, as it will then only have to deal with EU261 only on flights to EU countries.
Other carriers which travel to/from UK will also save money, including AA
Old Dec 23, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I predict BA will save a lot of money after BREXIT is final, as it will then only have to deal with EU261 only on flights to EU countries.
Let's wait and see how the UK actually implements Brexit and whether they adopt their own version of EU261 before making that assumption...
ezefllying likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I suspect that the regulation will be incorporated into UK law
PUCCI GALORE and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As well as people who don't want to pay higher airfares! [...] No need for a nanny in Brussels (or Washington) to mandate this.
Hell, Iím still mad about how much more I pay for power ever since the nanny state said children couldnít work in the mines.

At least the FAA still lets Boeing self-certify. If I want some federal regulator slowing down production by doing more than spot checks, I can choose to pay more to fly a really safe plane. Consumer choice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: