Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award change to AA due to cancelled BA flight - Fee Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi!

My wife and I booked (on separate PNRs) milesaaver award flights from SJC to SVO for early Feb with the transatlantic leg on BA connecting to Finnair in LHR and HEL as it was the only option at the time. We held our noses and paid the sky-high BA carrier surcharge.

Fast forward to this morning when I got a notice that BA278 SJC-LHR was cancelled. I called and was able to get us on AA metal for the transatlantic leg to connect to the original Finnair flights. I didn't look to see if there was existing award availability at the saver level before calling in so I'm not sure if they opened it up for us (in case that matters).

Given that we are no longer on a BA flight, can we get the carrier surcharge refunded? If so, would it be through the standard AA refund page?

Thanks!
-Peter
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If you originally booked AA on the transatlantic segment and they cancelled and you get rebooked on BA, do they come back and charge you BA atrocious fees? No, they don't. Regardless, the moment to ask was when you called this AM. Those are the people to talk too.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Call and ask, I think you should be refunded the fees. Safe travels!
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t believe you get those back as your booking was accommodated given the cancellation.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I suspect there is still no AA award availabiity, so they open this up for you due to the BA cancellation.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed, the accommodation of a cancelled flight doesn’t come with the recalculation of taxes and charges. If there was award space you could have got a full refund and then rebooked but chances are they rebooked you on aa when there was no award space so you can’t really have it both ways.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Point taken everyone. I suppose if I stop to consider it, the thought of two business class saaver fares available one month out LAX-LHR seems fairly ludicrous. I agree that given that they were opened up for us means that I'm getting what I originally paid for.

Thanks gang!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:24 am

PeterK It doesn't hurt to call and ask, though.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
is this trip one way or return? if so , is the return still on BA ?
Call , like others have said.. that is the only way you will know..
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by PeterK
Hi!

My wife and I booked (on separate PNRs) milesaaver award flights from SJC to SVO for early Feb with the transatlantic leg on BA connecting to Finnair in LHR and HEL as it was the only option at the time. We held our noses and paid the sky-high BA carrier surcharge.

Fast forward to this morning when I got a notice that BA278 SJC-LHR was cancelled. I called and was able to get us on AA metal for the transatlantic leg to connect to the original Finnair flights. I didn't look to see if there was existing award availability at the saver level before calling in so I'm not sure if they opened it up for us (in case that matters).

Given that we are no longer on a BA flight, can we get the carrier surcharge refunded? If so, would it be through the standard AA refund page?

Thanks!
-Peter
YES

- and you can do this by calling AAdvantage (whichever desk corresponds with your status or the general number) and they can initiate the refund process back to the card on file. It may take a bit as they separate YQ but as those are quite hefty, it's well worth your time. Your line should be something to the effect that BA cancelled a flight, you were moved to AA metal and you're checking to initiate about a refund of BA's applicable carrier-imposed surcharges.

That American re-accommodated you on their metal has nothing to do with your ability to request a refund of those BA carrier-imposed fees.

PS: Yes, American uses a process to "oversell" or open saver inventory when none exists to address schedule changes and OW-related routing matters such as this so that procedure was very likely taken here. What the agent missed was processing the surcharge refund request in the same call.
Often1 and PeterK like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course you are entitled to a refund of BA's carrier surcharges. AA will not require those surcharges and thus, BA has that revenue right now although it has not provided the service.

The assertion that it is fair not to refund the surcharge because AA would not have charged it had the reroute gone the other way, e.g. AA-to-BA, is a fallacy. Neither EC 261/2004 nor US DOT rules permit this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

I called American and spoke with an agent just now. She put on hold to check, came back and said yes the "difference in taxes and fees" would be refunded. I assume there are notes associated with the PNR/ticket as she noted my wife was changed also without my saying so.

However, the instructions she gave me were to submit a request via the 'Share with us' generic link after flying. This isn't necessarily a confidence-inspiring process description. I suppose the way to do it is likely the 'Receipts and Refunds' link, but I wanted to see what your thoughts were on submitting after the fact or HUCA to try to do it now?
Spiff and FAA1996 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How does this work in the opposite scenario? You’re ticketed on AA and you get involuntarily rebooked on BA?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
How does this work in the opposite scenario? You’re ticketed on AA and you get involuntarily rebooked on BA?
I've had this happen before, you don't pay the fees.
TravelerMSY and hsumh316 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by PeterK
Thanks again for the help, everyone!

I called American and spoke with an agent just now. She put on hold to check, came back and said yes the "difference in taxes and fees" would be refunded. I assume there are notes associated with the PNR/ticket as she noted my wife was changed also without my saying so.

However, the instructions she gave me were to submit a request via the 'Share with us' generic link after flying. This isn't necessarily a confidence-inspiring process description. I suppose the way to do it is likely the 'Receipts and Refunds' link, but I wanted to see what your thoughts were on submitting after the fact or HUCA to try to do it now?
Use the refund request link and explain you were moved from a BA flight to an AA flight award due to a BA schedule change/cancellation and request the difference in taxes and fees. Done this a few times. You will get it within a week or 2.
PeterK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.