Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy? How does one have it enforced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is AA's current 'Person of Size' policy? How does one have it enforced?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds to me as though the FA solved OP's problem.

If OP still wishes to pursue the matter, she should file a complaint with DOT, noting that AA failed to follow its own policy.

The reality is that DOT will not do anything because the problem was solved, but will forward the complaint to AA. Because it is from DOT, AA will have to respond and will say that it has appropriately counseled the cabin crew for the flight in question.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by mvoight
The problem with this is that if they truly followed policy and the passenger was too big for the seat, they should have deboarded the passenger and forced them to by a second seat rather than asking people to change seats on a full flight, still forcing someone to lose seat space.
I agree completely. I knew what the policy is, but I was also a little willing to be flexible if needed. If I absolutely had to be on the flight and no one would trade, I would have asked them to enforce their policy.

I still wish there would be some proactive enforcement. If the COS needs an extender, the FA or someone else could do a visual check at that time. Maybe it would improve things, but I was distinctly uncomfortable that I had to raise it. To me, it's a little like a seat belt check, tray table or upright seat check, and it would be easy to incorporate it into the request for an extender.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Sounds to me as though the FA solved OP's problem.
{rest of quote omitted}
No, that was another poster's - (Jackonferry) - POS problem that was (partially) solved, not mine.

With me, they were adamant at all times that it is NOT their policy to move or remove POSes who are using an extender and encroach into one or more other pax's seat space.

In addition, they said it was not even a factor that the other guy's space was invaded, as he had not reported it (most likely because he was a novice flyer and spoke little English, which obviously makes it difficult or impossible to report anything).

I was polite throughout, firmly polite on occasion as required, and used an airline term every now and then (such as when I inquired about nonrevs), so that they would hopefully believe that I knew my rights.

I think I was probably too polite.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by v11a
No, that was another poster's - (Jackonferry) - POS problem that was (partially) solved, not mine.

With me, they were adamant at all times that it is NOT their policy to move or remove POSes who are using an extender and encroach into one or more other pax's seat space.

In addition, they said it was not even a factor that the other guy's space was invaded, as he had not reported it (most likely because he was a novice flyer and spoke little English, which obviously makes it difficult or impossible to report anything).

I was polite throughout, firmly polite on occasion as required, and used an airline term every now and then (such as when I inquired about nonrevs), so that they would hopefully believe that I knew my rights.

I think I was probably too polite.
AA's published policy is that if you exceed the limits "another seat is required" and explains how you can get the second seat for the same price, or you can get a larger seat, but in both cases you are paying for the seat. "Another seat is required" sounds pretty clear. EIther you get another seat on that flight or another one, or you don't fly. If the flight was full, I would insist AA follow their stated policy
f
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by v11a
Santa takes only private flights!
AA serves Egg Nog
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:38 am

When Seat Size and Person Size Don't Match

After a friend relayed to me their story, it got me thinking about a few questions.

SITUATION:
A flyer (sitting in a 737 Main Cabin Extra seat for several hours on a full domestic flight in this case) is taking up several inches or more of their neighbor's seat space (seat width 17"). The encroachment occurs above the armrest, below the armrest, and along (and beyond) the seat cushion.

QUESTIONS:
What are the rights and responsibilities of the flyer who is being encroached upon?
What are the rights and responsibilities of the flyer who is encroaching on the seat space of their neighbor?
What are the roles and responsibilities of the flight attendant, pilot, or airline?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum
I find it hard to believe that these days with all of the mask and other distractions in the cabin and more generally the social stigma towards fat-shaming, that many FA's would look favorably on a request to relocate in a full aircraft because of a PoS issue.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It would really need to be addressed with the GA prior to departure. Luckily I haven't have to deal with this but I've seen many, many POS these days. If someone's "being" is coming over into my space I would politely ask the FA to summons the GA. Sorry I didn't buy half or 3/4 quarters of a seat. If the GA didn't require the POS to buy 2 seats that's not my problem.
Spiff, wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
It would really need to be addressed with the GA prior to departure. Luckily I haven't have to deal with this but I've seen many, many POS these days. If someone's "being" is coming over into my space I would politely ask the FA to summons the GA. Sorry I didn't buy half or 3/4 quarters of a seat. If the GA didn't require the POS to buy 2 seats that's not my problem.
100% this. I'll gladly give up an armrest, but once my seat is invaded, AA folks will get involved.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:39 pm

This is definitely a sensitive topic that needs to be addressed before departure. After a few hours in the air, the options may be very limited, if any at all.
Dea Certe likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
Originally Posted by JDiver
Extra space during travel link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
It would be nice if all seats on all planes had the same length seat belt. Most do but there are some aircraft especially the regional commuter variations where the seat belts are significantly shorter. You can jump from one seat to another and require a seat belt extender in one of the seats.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by skylady
After a few hours in the air, the options may be very limited, if any at all.
Wouldn't that limited if any option be right when the door closes at the gate?
SPN Lifer and skylady like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I know many people who are taller/larger that buy J or blocked middle Y for their own comfort. People that travel once or twice a year, not wealthy. Now I understand everyone can't afford this privilege... but if someone isn't concerned enough to pay the premium for their own comfort, they likely aren't worried about anyone else. If someone spilled into my seat, it will be addressed before departure. As privately and discreetly as I could, of course. It's not fair at all for someone else to suffer too.

I hope I never have to run into this sensitive and awkward situation... Especially for the POS I know some POS are due to medical reasons, and I feel terrible for them having to deal with this. I've sat with people who take up a lot of shoulder space and both armrests, but that's very different to a POS spilling over.

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 14, 2021 at 7:05 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
In regards to a POS that doesn't need a seat belt extender or extends onto the neighboring seat, but shoulder wise is much wider and extends into neighbors seat, what's the policy? This happened to me yesterday in MCE when an NFL sized person took the middle seat next to me. I am a fairly large person as well, with wider shoulders than most, so this situation was miserly. I could not sit back in my seat and was crushed into the window. It was a short flight (DCA-MCO), so just leaned forward and rested my arms on the folding tray for most of the flight. But if this had been a longer flight, there could not have been a reasonable expectation that someone should have to endure this, correct?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Here is how this should work. The ticket buys every person the same amount of space. It run perpendicularly from the middle of each arm rest on the seat. The fare entitles that person to no more space than that. In particular no person can intrude beyond those boundaries into the space purchased by the person seated alongside. And this rule should be rigid. Not one millimeter extra. Additional point of emphasis, under no circumstances can a person occupy any part of the space of another passenger. If a person needs more space, that person should be required to buy two seats. In the post above it appears that there was intrusion into the adjacent passenger's space. That is wrong in every circumstance.
lrbenko likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.