Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
Is this suppose to be an example of model behavior? Getting away with doing something doesn't make it proper behavior.
Negotiating terms to get newer technology for employees of a company is standard business practice. Newer technology is less likely to fail--being replaced every year or two, as opposed to keeping the same phones over an extended period of time. I think what the CIO did is legitimate.

I also think that if you're a travel manager and an airline leaves you stranded in another country--or anywhere for that matter for an issue that at best is on shaky ground is grounds for selecting another carrier.

FYI, I'm not a churner and I legitimately earn EXP status from personal and work travel. I think AA was within it's rights to close any account that it wanted, but not to summarily cancel validly issued tickets. That is a DOT violation.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I have a close friend who was also on the mailer trAAin. Him and his wife were just in Europe and had their return tickets cancelled 25 hours out. His wife is high up at a local corporate office and actually has direct influence over their travel contracts, needless to say she's ready to completely move away from AA as soon as their current contract is up. This isn't the only factor in that decision, but is really the nail in the coffin.
At 25 hours out, how did they find out about cancellation? Any idea what the notice said/wording?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
1) The shutdowns began barely 3 weeks ago. I assure you there will be a vigorous regulatory and legal response at a time and place of our choosing.

2) We have information from a leaker in AA that Citibank is behind this and that will open far more opportunities for legal challenges and discovery. And for the AA people reading this: "padlocks."

3) It became clear yesterday that AA CorpSec infiltrated the private Reddit forum, took adverse action on what they found, and are posing as members of a potential class to extract information for their purposes.

Edit:
Let me add a fourth--MANY of us received a solicitation from AA to purchase more miles--a solicitation sent to individuals that CorpSec has no intention of ever allowing to use them.
"Our"? "We"??
RJ1 and enpremiere like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
At 25 hours out, how did they find out about cancellation? Any idea what the notice said/wording?
What happens is the person simply gets an automatic email that the flight has been cancelled. Later (most of the time) a form letter is sent notifying of account suspension. This is the first communication that AA has on the matter to the affected individuals.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:45 am

Let me add another shot across the bow for Citi or AA people looking at this thread: we have texts and photographs proving Citi affiliated bloggers bought AA codes and had many (more than a dozen) Citi AA cards.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: CK or bust
...Let me add a fourth--MANY of us received a solicitation from AA to purchase more miles--a solicitation sent to individuals that CorpSec has no intention of ever allowing to use them.
AA's solicitations offering to sell program members more miles have nothing to do with the mailer churn abuse topic that is the focus of this thread.

I'm not familiar with a single case that involved a member violating the terms of an airline affinity program winning in a US court (I can think of folks who have lost cases) and that's not to say that hasn't one but it certainly doesn't come to mind.

Out of curiosity, please post back once you start your case as I'd very much like to follow it.
ijgordon, CMTinPHL and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere
AA's solicitations offering to sell program members more miles have nothing to do with the mailer churn abuse topic that is the focus of this thread.

I'm not familiar with a single case that involved a member violating the terms of an airline affinity program winning in a US court (I can think of folks who have lost cases) and that's not to say that hasn't one but it certainly doesn't come to mind.

Out of curiosity, please post back once you start your case as I'd very much like to follow it.
This is potentially a novel situation. A highly regulated entity (Citi) is attempting to use a less regulated entity (AA) to punish people through the essentially unregulated affinity program. Given that this program is no longer basically a rebate program run internally to AA but instead is largely a store of value from non-airline, non-AA activities we're in completely new legal ground. And, as I posted, we can show that Citi affiliates participated in the "abuse."
lowfareair and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jan 8, 2020 at 11:17 am Reason: Quotes around "abuse"
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:25 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Let me add another shot across the bow for Citi or AA people looking at this thread: we have texts and photographs proving Citi affiliated bloggers bought AA codes and had many (more than a dozen) Citi AA cards.
Don't count on anyone's sympathy for bloggers who incessantly pimp credit cards for banks.
tom911, ijgordon, renila and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Don't count on anyone's sympathy for bloggers who incessantly pimp credit cards for banks.
It's not sympathy--it's that people who Citi hired to sell their cards were participating.
cheaptom likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
This is potentially a novel situation. A highly regulated entity (Citi) is attempting to use a less regulated entity (AA) to punish people through the essentially unregulated affinity program. Given that this program is no longer basically a rebate program run internally to AA but instead is largely a store of value from non-airline, non-AA activities we're in completely new legal ground. And, as I posted, we can show that Citi affiliates participated in the "abuse."
Good luck. Please report back on the success of all your DOT complaints, etc. You and the other churners are SOL. I absolutely love how many otherwise intelligent people - including attorneys - keep insisting that that AA (or Citi) wronged them. There is no course of action. You will not succeed. Feel free to tell me I am wrong (I fully expect you to), but please report back with your success story in 6 or 9 or 12 months. I anxiously await.
Steve M likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:32 pm

From TPG. https://thepointsguy.com/news/head-o...asier-to-earn/

Head of AAdvantage shares how you can make your loyalty more rewarding and easier to earn

sdsearch and ricohitman like this.

Last edited by Adirondacker; Jan 8, 2020 at 1:35 pm Reason: Added summary
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Adirondacker
how you can make your loyalty more rewarding and easier to earn
Change yourself into a dog?
AA100k likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am not sure this really has anything to do one way or the other with the future of non-blogger Churners here.

But i have always wondered about this, even before this mailer churning was explained, where did these bloggers get all their miles?? I mean, some years I fly a TON and mostly in J and F and I run up a decent balance of miles. But some of these folks just always seemed to be going somewhere on a miles award ticket, it seemed to not add up.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by stephem
I am not sure this really has anything to do one way or the other with the future of non-blogger Churners here.

But i have always wondered about this, even before this mailer churning was explained, where did these bloggers get all their miles?? I mean, some years I fly a TON and mostly in J and F and I run up a decent balance of miles. But some of these folks just always seemed to be going somewhere on a miles award ticket, it seemed to not add up.
*some* of them get free flights/hotel stays/meals, etc in exchange for blogging about it. Some disclose, others have less integrity.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
Good luck. Please report back on the success of all your DOT complaints, etc. You and the other churners are SOL. I anxiously await.
Some churners only used mailers that did NOT have 24-month language and did NOT have nontransferable
language. The DOT just might ask AA/Citi “why didn’t ALL your terms have this 24-month language?”

How does AA answer that one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.