Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
That's kind of an absurd position to take; it's perfectly reasonable for decision makers to take how they are, personally, treated into account when making decisions. Getting stranded in Europe due to vengfeulness--with no warning--would easily fit this.
Not if the reason for being stranded was violating the terms of a program.

Last edited by enpremiere; Jan 7, 2020 at 2:13 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Not it the reason for being stranded was violating the terms of a program.
Except she didn't--unless you accept AA's absurd position on this.
sethMCOflyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Participate in sketchy deal, get stung, and use your influence in your employer to disadvantage the employer?

Can absolutely assure you that if more senior people at her operation even had a whiff that this was the case that she would be history.

What's more interesting is that there are apparently indeed people getting shut down mid trip. Buying a one-way TATL or TPAC at walk-uo prices may sting more than the shutdown itself.
MSPeconomist, TWA884 and AA100k like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Her spouse did and he redeemed a ticket for her so defacto she did.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Her spouse did and he redeemed a ticket for her so defacto she did.
And which T&C did they break?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Am I allowed to use my miles to book tickets for my employees. If yes can I reimburse my self for the value of the personal miles given to my company?
You are allowed to GIVE AWAY tickets. If you are reimbursed, that means you sold them.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
And which T&C did they break?
ThEy AbUsEd PoLiCiEs [/sarcasm]

I think there could be an angle for those who would fall under EU 261 and European regulations (such as the person discussed at the start of this quote chain) if they had their ticket out of the EU canceled within 2 weeks of travel and didn't break an explicit AA policy (i.e. creating accounts for fake people or pets). Europe doesn't seem to be as lenient for something like canceling award flights (especially mid-trip, stranding someone in the EU) simply because AA didn't like the customer relationship. There would probably need to be a very specific rule that the person broke to make the EU even consider the action of unilaterally canceling the person's award tickets acceptable.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I have a close friend who was also on the mailer trAAin. Him and his wife were just in Europe and had their return tickets cancelled 25 hours out. His wife is high up at a local corporate office and actually has direct influence over their travel contracts, needless to say she's ready to completely move away from AA as soon as their current contract is up. This isn't the only factor in that decision, but is really the nail in the coffin.

Can you give some more details ?

When was the award ticket purchased ?

Was the ticket O/W or the return of a R/T ?

What date were they not allowed to fly ?

Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 7, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:19 pm
Suspended

The chances that this has legs under EC 261/2004 for an EU departure are laughably small. You may also bet that AA thoroughly analyzed that angle before cancelling tickets mid-trip.

Bottom line is that even if more than 14 days, if there were a valid claim under the Regulation, it would include rebooking and that is exactly what AA is not going to do.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The chances that this has legs under EC 261/2004 for an EU departure are laughably small. You may also bet that AA thoroughly analyzed that angle before cancelling tickets mid-trip.

Bottom line is that even if more than 14 days, if there were a valid claim under the Regulation, it would include rebooking and that is exactly what AA is not going to do.
Yeah AA would never do anything to run afoul of regulators

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...rder-2019-2-23
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...order-2017-7-9
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/eo-2017-1-11
https://www.transportation.gov/airco.../eo-2016-12-10
https://www.transportation.gov/airco.../eo-2016-12-12
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/eo-2016-8-30

But this time, THIS TIME, they must be on top of it? Right?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Wow...just wow... this thread has certainly jumped the shark, even by Flyertalk standards...

Regards
SJOGuy and pa3lsvt like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Did you see the amounts and what those are for?

Same petty cash petty stuff at most US carriers (and a few foreign carriers as well).

Ask yourself the last time a carrier got bagged for something that matters as in material to the bottom line and you will understand why AA (not to mention UA & DL) know quite well how to handle the regulators on the stuff that matters.`
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Often1
….

What's more interesting is that there are apparently indeed people getting shut down mid trip. Buying a one-way TATL or TPAC at walk-uo prices may sting more than the shutdown itself.
C'mon, you think that the people who churn AA cards every month will buy one way TATL tickets at walk up prices? They will obviously buy $200 roundtrip fares originating in the EU and do throwaway ticketing, lol...
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nk15
C'mon, you think that the people who churn AA cards every month will buy one way TATL tickets at walk up prices? They will obviously buy $200 roundtrip fares originating in the EU and do throwaway ticketing, lol...
It depends. If they're Flying Only When It's Free = FOWIF (rather than FOTSG) people, they may have no clue about the cost of TATL OW versus RT fares.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:43 pm

How is this thread different than this one?

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

(Asking for a friend. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.