Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Old Dec 19, 19, 9:46 am
  #316  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,139
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
No, I’m not, unless you’re using different definitions of words than the rest of us. But feel free to clarify so we don’t have to guess.
I know my own words and their meaning better than anyone else. You can misread and misrepresent my words to your desire to the extent allowed by FT TOS, but it doesn't change the fact that my post doesn't mean what you claimed it does.

I don't find any use in going down that rabbit hole of your choosing. Just like I don't with going down the rabbit hole of AA's choosing for as long and well as I can stay out of it in an environment where AA's "innovation" upon "innovation" is "gaming" even "gamers" with its account shutdowns of this sort.

I never claimed these AA account shutdowns were random; nor have I ever thought they are or would be random.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 19, 19 at 9:52 am
GUWonder is online now  
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:52 am
  #317  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Posts: 6,304
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
What makes that poster's "doubts" and "guesses" worth less than yours?
This would be a reasonable question for someone who joined FT yesterday, because that person would not have any experience in how to read FT and wouldn't know anything about the "reputations" of the various participants. And, to be fair, even though you have 5000+ posts since joining 18 years ago, I don't remember seeing any prior post by you, so maybe you don't normally participate very much on the AA boards. But for anyone who does, or for anyone who has reviewed poster history, you will find that Jon's reputation for knowledge and insight is exceptionally high (and you would also recognize that some people, responding with well-written but baseless speculation have done so on other occasions).
sbrower is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:59 am
  #318  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
When this scheme and account shutdown was first disclosed here I thought it would affect just a few accounts and that would be the end of it. Days into this, with the response here and other places, it seems this is very widespread. Does anyone have an idea about how many accounts are affected and how long the loophole has been there?
Quite possibly thousands are affected. The loophole has been around for at least 10+ years. It's gotten smaller and smaller, but this loophole has been around for a longgggggtttttimeeeeeeee
humbled_thoughts is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:59 am
  #319  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,139
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
This would be a reasonable question for someone who joined FT yesterday, because that person would not have any experience in how to read FT and wouldn't know anything about the "reputations" of the various participants. And, to be fair, even though you have 5000+ posts since joining 18 years ago, I don't remember seeing any prior post by you, so maybe you don't normally participate very much on the AA boards. But for anyone who does, or for anyone who has reviewed poster history, you will find that Jon's reputation for knowledge and insight is exceptionally high (and you would also recognize that some people, responding with well-written but baseless speculation have done so on other occasions).
This isn't about reputation, or rather it shouldn't be. It's about the value of "guesses" and "doubts" in an environment where it's not all that certain how much, if any, empirical data has been made available to people posting in this thread, the extent to which such data has been used to characterize card-churners of the sort whose accounts were shut-down, and if such characterization is uniformly accurate or not.

If people aren't free to express doubts and guesses on FT and ask about the basis of claims made, this would be propaganda and prejudice central even more than it already is. The above post being case in point at that.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 19, 19 at 10:07 am
GUWonder is online now  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:01 am
  #320  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,269
Originally Posted by yulsee View Post
Any company that says they can change terms any time without notice is not an ethical company in my book, so I reserve the right to "game it".

In my jurisdiction (not the US), loyalty programs must give a 60 advance notice before they can change program terms. That the model to follow.
The rules have not changed. The t&c of the program as relates to fraud & abuse have been the same for years. While not directly relevant, the AA T&C are not materially different than other programs. AP (AC) provides the following:

"Aeroplan Membership is a privilege that can be revoked by Aeroplan at its discretion at any time and without compensation including, without limitation, abuse by the member of any of these General Terms and Conditions or any other actions deemed by Aeroplan, acting in its sole discretion, to be deleterious to Aeroplan, the Aeroplan Program or the interests of its partners or suppliers."
Often1 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:04 am
  #321  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SAN
Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by humbled_thoughts View Post
Quite possibly thousands are affected. The loophole has been around for at least 10+ years. It's gotten smaller and smaller, but this loophole has been around for a longgggggtttttimeeeeeeee
Ten years! Individuals could have racked up serious millions of miles if they actually did get new cards every 65 days over a ten year period.
AA100k is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:06 am
  #322  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Posts: 12,886
Moderator note:

If you choose to participate on FlyerTalk, we ask that you follow the FlyerTalk rules. There is a link under HELP-->RULES from every page on FlyerTalk.
Let's focus on these in particular:
  • 12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

    FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

    Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

    Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

  • Link to this topicTop

    12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

    If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

    FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

    If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see
    Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.


If you find posts that are in violation of the rules, please contact a moderator or use the red caution triangle to the lower left of every post on FlyerTalk. Do not quote, do not 'like', nor engage with the poster who you feel violated the rules.

Contact a moderator with questions before posting.

Thanks.


aztimm
aztimm is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:17 am
  #323  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
This isn't about reputation, or rather it shouldn't be. It's about the value of "guesses" and "doubts" in an environment where it's not all that certain how much, if any, empirical data has been made available to people posting in this thread, the extent to which such data has been used to characterize card-churners of the sort whose accounts were shut-down, and if such characterization is uniformly accurate or not.

If people aren't free to express doubts and guesses on FT and ask about the basis of claims made, this would be propaganda and prejudice central even more than it already is. The above post being case in point at that.
As has been mentioned repeatedly, theres an entire Reddit forum dedicated to this topic with hundreds of reports just on that one site. The guesses to which you keep referring arent guesses at all.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:19 am
  #324  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KSTP KSPG
Programs: AOPA
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
Ten years! Individuals could have racked up serious millions of miles if they actually did get new cards every 65 days over a ten year period.
Much more than 10 years. About 8 years ago you could get multiple citi cards on the same day.
teddy25 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:27 am
  #325  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,139
Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
Much more than 10 years. About 8 years ago you could get multiple citi cards on the same day.
Have any AA MM status holders reported having been hit by AA with these account shutdowns due to credit card churning?

There are AA million milers who were heavily into the AA Citi card churning game. While some of those AA million milers should be happy that they got the MM status they did years ago, I have to assume some habits die hard and that some of them remained active in the card churning game in major ways or dipped their toes into repeating old habits of sorts even years after it would no longer be about MM status.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:33 am
  #326  
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,845
Originally Posted by yulsee View Post
Any company that says they can change terms any time without notice is not an ethical company in my book, so I reserve the right to "game it".
Do you think that would be a viable defense for those that have had accounts locked or terminated?
tom911 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:35 am
  #327  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KSTP KSPG
Programs: AOPA
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Have any AA MM status holders reported having been hit by AA with these account shutdowns due to credit card churning?

There are AA million milers who were heavily into the AA Citi card churning game. While some of those AA million milers should be happy that they got the MM status they did years ago, I have to assume some habits die hard and that some of them remained active in the card churning game in major ways or dipped their toes into repeating old habits of sorts even years after it would no longer be about MM status.
some the MM got their status because of churning AA card, that when cc miles counts towards MMstatus
teddy25 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:37 am
  #328  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Do you think that would be a viable defense for those that have had accounts locked or terminated?
It's just an axiom to start with: corp is unethical and dishonest. Thus, it is fair game to abuse it
yulsee is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:38 am
  #329  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,139
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Do you think that would be a viable defense for those that have had accounts locked or terminated?
The game remains stacked in AA's favor, except perhaps in some theoretical discussion about ethical standards and pursuing ethical parity.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Dec 19, 19, 10:39 am
  #330  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Posts: 2,791
Originally Posted by yulsee View Post
Can we all agree about the following axiom in the first place:

American Airlines is a dishonest company that routinely uses misleading marketing, pricing and fine-print tactics in its dealings with consumers
NO
george 3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread