Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Degerminator
Frustrated. I did 3 sign up bonuses this calendar year, ( 2 based on physical letters that were mailed to me, and 1 public offer online). And now it looks like my account is locked. Wish we got some kind of communication from AA on this, instead of just waiting. I don't feel I've violated any terms, and I also don't feel like I have a way to defend myself.

I have upcoming award travel next month, and from what I'm hearing online, it's very likely to get cancelled.

Just venting.
Are you on the Reddit private sub? Your data point and inputs on surveys would be invaluable. If not, then contact the Doctor of Credit blogger, who is looking into situations such as yours and compiling data - it may help yourself and others too:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...rewards-abuse/

Originally Posted by Global321
If everything is on the level, then, while this is a pain, I think you should be okay. AA has no reason to shut down accounts of people who legitimately follow the rules.

If AA didn't follow their own rules, it opens them up to a lot of bad press and potential legal action. Why would AA do that to a customer who did nothing wrong and did not abuse the system?
I hope Degerminator ends up OK, but at least one person has been completely shut down, who also did not "abuse mailers" or anything else improper. And they had no warning from AA...no chance to explain, ask questions, or plead their case. A termination email just showed up in their inbox.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by yulsee
Can we all agree about the following axiom in the first place:

American Airlines is a dishonest company that routinely uses misleading marketing, pricing and fine-print tactics in its dealings with consumers
I don't agree. But what I do agree with is AA is taking these actions against people abusing their AAvantage program.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

American Airlines is a dishonest company that routinely uses misleading marketing, pricing and fine-print tactics in its dealings with consumers
Nope - we cannot
A personal bias is not an axiom
I don't know anyone personally , who has had any adveerse action taken against them or had AA mislead them - then again, none has been attempting dubious activities such as multiple credit card applications, selling miles, using invalid credit cards to hold bookings etc

If nothing has been done that is wrong, perhaps take it up with the card company - it might be able to assist
tom911, SJOGuy, apeortdz and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by robertablake
I don't agree. But what I do agree with is AA is taking these actions against people abusing their AAvantage program.
So you're saying AA is an honest ethical corporation? What's up with the corporate boot licking ?
GUWonder and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So you're saying AA is an honest ethical corporation? What's up with the corporate boot licking ?
Oh the irony of such a query in such a thread
DMPHL, apeortdz and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
So you're saying AA is an honest ethical corporation?
I'll take the bait: YES. I've been an AA flyer for 19 years now and have found them to be honest and ethical in my dealings with them. However, I am not opening multiple AA accounts to generate credit card application codes to use for myself or sell, nor am I applying for an AA credit card every 33 days, or using a targeted offer directed at someone else to apply for a credit card for myself. Would you consider folks that bend the rules in this manner honest and ethical?

Good luck on your class action lawsuit. Please keep us updated.
DMPHL, apeortdz, Antarius and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'd chalk their leadership up to incompetent, but I fail to see how locking accounts for program violations is somehow not honest or ethical.

There are tons of us who arent having issues here. Yes, we ..... and moan about program devaluations (yes they suck), but love the cheap airfare. So win some, lose some, but it is purely a function of economics, not some evil ethics.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I can sympathise with some people who thought they were just ‘playing the game’ (and any critical stance of this should mention that Flyertalk sometimes takes pride in helping people ‘game the system’ in ways which do not always make it easy for people to understand what the limit is - fuel dumping threads, I’m thinking of you...) and now wonder how badly this will affect them. It’s easy to say ‘you should have known’, the truth is that people genuinely often don’t and something they feel was ‘borderline ok’ at the time suddenly appears as a crazy ‘how could I be so stupid?’ soon after.

that said, some of the arguments here really remind me of dare mistake threads and people seemingly trying to convince themselves (rather than others) that surely they have a case! The arguments are always the same: I couldn’t « really » know this was not legit (sort of), if they « really » wanted for this not to happen, they could/would have done x, y, and z (so because the neighbours lock their doors, if you don’t, it means that a burglar is entitled to come in your house?), x and y happened in the past and it was fine, etc.

bottom line is, I’m afraid people caught in this even if they didn’t realise the pickle this would create essentially because they thought ‘everyone does it’ and ‘it’s gone on for years’ dont Have a leg to stand on.
wrp96, fotographer and yulsee like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond

No more so than most other companies.

Based on your assertion (I don’t agree that it’s an axiom) what do you plan to do about it? That will be more useful, or at least more interesting, than calling them names.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given how AA devalues the miles in customer accounts, I would say they are no more ethical than UA or DL. But these US airlines are not an example of very high ethical standards when it comes to loyalty program customers, and thus they deserve no boot-licking.

However, this is FT, where defending a favorite travel service provider or going after critics of a favorite travel service provider is no less par for the course than criticism of the same. And all of this in a playground where there is even institutional bias favorable toward the travel service providers. So boot-licking of sorts is to be expected.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Is this another thread to advocate a crowdfunded class-action lawsuit?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Did your fiancée also get multiple cards? If you only had three cards and you’ve already had multiple two-person award redemptions, how many miles did you have left to lose?
No, she only has 1 AA card. I also fly for work a lot, so I have about 250K miles.
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No, she only has 1 AA card. I also fly for work a lot, so I have about 250K miles.
Ouch. Most of the people caught up in this had very few, if any, revenue flights.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by richarddd
Setting the threshold at three and not providing a means for people to explain is a dumb move. I doubt three bonuses sounds all that bad to the general public, but airlines that gut frequent flyer programs and have many other problems probably care. They know there's not a lot of choice in large US airlines.
Especially as it's entirely possible to get 3 signup bonuses in a year just through normal, public credit card offers. If AA now doesn't want anyone to ever acquire more than 1 or 2 AAdvantage affinity credit card(s), then perhaps they shouldn't have contracted with two different credit card issuers to offer a number of personal and business card products.
GUWonder and Happy like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Just to clarify, in your original message, you said you obtained three AA cards “this calendar year.” How many AA cards have you had, total?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.