SWU Visibility Online

Old Dec 13, 19, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy / AAdvantage
Question SWU Visibility Online

Hi Flyer Talk,

I'm searching for a systemwide upgrade from economy to business. There are seats with "C" inventory on Expert Flyer. However, I do not see the "Systemwide upgrades" button when viewing the flight online. Therefore, I'm wondering if some SWUs can only be seen by an American Agent or using a tool like Expert Flyer.

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by Templars View Post
Hi Flyer Talk,

I'm searching for a systemwide upgrade from economy to business. There are seats with "C" inventory on Expert Flyer. However, I do not see the "Systemwide upgrades" button when viewing the flight online. Therefore, I'm wondering if some SWUs can only be seen by an American Agent or using a tool like Expert Flyer.

Thanks!
If you're signed into an EXP or CK account with EVIPs you should see a link to show system wides on flights that have at least one segment that has C or A inventory, however certain searches won't show them, such as multi city searches.
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Templars View Post
Hi Flyer Talk,

Thanks!
The AA.com "systemwide upgrade" button is just generally buggy. Sometimes it doesn't appear for reasons unknown.

Call in.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 13, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
My guess is that the issue is in regards to a married segment that doesn't have C space.
Old Dec 14, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Am I the only one that finds it incredibly annoying, that when I activate the system-wide upgrade button (on a 1 stop itinerary), I find that it is only available on one of the two legs. This is an incredibly common occurrence. I wonder if this is something AA does intentionally,?
Old Dec 14, 19, 11:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Originally Posted by AA Flyer View Post
Am I the only one that finds it incredibly annoying, that when I activate the system-wide upgrade button (on a 1 stop itinerary), I find that it is only available on one of the two legs. This is an incredibly common occurrence. I wonder if this is something AA does intentionally,?
Or only J->F
Old Dec 14, 19, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
My guess is that the issue is in regards to a married segment that doesn't have C space.
AA does not have married segment upgrade space.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
AA does not have married segment upgrade space.
Per a recent (today) reply from the EF lurker on the EF thread here in AA forum... Seems appropriate and similar for me to reply with some confidence I wasn't alone with my comment...

"It's not a deviation, it's called married segment logic where the availability on DFW-LHR is different than SAT-LHR even if it uses the same flights."
Old Dec 16, 19, 7:13 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Re-posted from an EF post years ago -

• Married segment logic applies to fare classes and award classes, as award classes are ticketed as combined segments the same way paid tickets are.
  • Married segment logic does not apply to upgrades, as they are processed segment by segment
  • The AA host/GDS still applies married segment logic to the C class availability results because it just sees it as another fare class, it doesn't "know" how it's really used.
Therefore, you should search for upgrade inventory segment by segment
Old Dec 17, 19, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
Per a recent (today) reply from the EF lurker on the EF thread here in AA forum... Seems appropriate and similar for me to reply with some confidence I wasn't alone with my comment...

"It's not a deviation, it's called married segment logic where the availability on DFW-LHR is different than SAT-LHR even if it uses the same flights."
Yes and the specific instance that EF was talking about was in reference to normal paid fare classes in which case AA definitely uses married segment logic just like award space. But they do not use married segment logic for upgrade space.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:08 pm

My point is. When you pull up availability and it looks like this:
Wouldn't you expect that upgrade to be available for the entire flight?

But when you click on the "system wide upgrades" you get this:

I find this nothing short of basic dishonesty in the way it is being presented.

Last edited by AA Flyer; Dec 17, 19 at 1:10 pm Reason: did not attach propery
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust

I don't know if I would qualify platform or IT incompetence as dishonesty. The various nuances and business model have outpaced the ability for some of the underlying components to keep up (or they're just simply not a business priority).
Old Dec 18, 19, 10:59 am

Old Dec 18, 19, 11:51 am

The aa.com link has always just said "Systemwide Upgrades". When you click on it you can see more details about what flights are specifically available and to and from what classes.

I don't see anything dishonest or deceiving about what is being presented. It's not as if the link says "SWUs available on all flights!" only for you to click on it and find out space is only available on one flight.

It's up to you as the traveller to decide if you want to use a SWU on a trip where only 1 of 2 segments can be confirmed at booking. I have certainly seen instances where SWU space is available on DFW-PEK but not RDU-DFW, for example, so I'm glad AA chose to disclose more information rather than less with the SWU link.
Old Dec 18, 19, 12:03 pm

It is annoying. But I don't think it's dishonest. At least one knows which leg of the route the upgrade will automatically clear.

I see it often on my favorite AA route (SFO-LAX-HKG). SFO-LAX, get upgraded to F with the SWU. Waitlist for LAX-HKG. Why not just call EXP CS and ask they to apply the SWU for the BOS-LAX leg only.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: