Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles/Loyalty Poins & Bonus Miles on Japan Airlines / JL / JAL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Flying Japan Airlines: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Japan Airlines partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • J-Air
  • Japan Transocean Air

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Most economy fares assign 30%, 50% or 70% of base miles flown to calculate EQM earnings.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Japan Airlines marketed (“codeshare”) flights may be operated by other airlines as well as by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum

Hey all - am 249 miles short on a PLT challenge and so urgently need to accrue. I'm trying to reference the AA earning on JL page (https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...ines/japan.jsp) but am struggling to connect these to fares that JL actually offers domestically within Japan.

For example, tomorrow I am thinking of flying Class-J on a TOKUBIN1 TypeC Advanced Purchase Fare. Does anyone know if this will book out as an I fare, a J fare, or an actual economy fare? The JAL telephone rep wasn't able to give me the fare letter, so am hoping someone with actual experience of flying can help. "Business class" tickets earn 1.5 EQMs so it makes a large difference.

Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm sure an expert could be more helpful, but I'd try to find the fare on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ (by matching price, fare basis code, etc.) and see what fare code it shows.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
I'm not sure if this helps but I flew JP from Haneda to Ishigaki on the cheapest coach fare and was awarded 100% of the miles. The miles showed up in my account 7 days after the flight.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
I recently did one, and was only awarded 50% of the flown miles base. I flew the cheapest coach fare.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Do domestic JAL flights earn anything on AA?

Hi all,

Would anyone have any experience crediting domestic JAL flights to AA? The problem is AA only credits F, J and Y, other booking classes are not listed (implying exempt) but if I’m not mistaken, the JAL domestic booking system doesn’t really follow the same booking classes.

Has anyone ever credited one of the locally purchased discounted flights to AA and earned anything on it? Or at least is there a way to correlate to a booking class? Or worst case, does upgrading to J class get you a “J” reservation?

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I see six different fare classes that can earn AAdvantage miles on JAL domestic flights:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I see six different fare classes that can earn AAdvantage miles on JAL domestic flights:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
Yup. The problem is because JAL doesn’t actually map to normal booking classes (their domestic reservation system is completely separate, and AFAIK isn’t even a Sabre/Amadeus/etc), it’s impossible to really know what “sakitoku 25” or “sakitoku 50” or any of their other dozen fares or so map to. Hoping someone actually flew one of these so they can comment on what mileage this generates on AA (or maybe it generates 500 as minimum... who knows?)
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
IIRC the 75% economy fares on JL map to the 75% economy booking code on AA, and the 100% ones map to Y, but this is just recalling past forums reading and not first hand experience.

Also, since the question is on AA earning, might be a better fit for the AA forum as people on there may know more.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by lokisnake
IIRC the 75% economy fares on JL map to the 75% economy booking code on AA, and the 100% ones map to Y, but this is just recalling past forums reading and not first hand experience.

Also, since the question is on AA earning, might be a better fit for the AA forum as people on there may know more.
I thought of posting there, but it's far less likely someone is a JAL domestic flyer on their forum....... I think. I'd hate to needlessly double post.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:03 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the AA forum.

l etoile
sr moderator
Pseudo Nim likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Hi all,

Would anyone have any experience crediting domestic JAL flights to AA? The problem is AA only credits F, J and Y, other booking classes are not listed (implying exempt) but if I’m not mistaken, the JAL domestic booking system doesn’t really follow the same booking classes.

Has anyone ever credited one of the locally purchased discounted flights to AA and earned anything on it? Or at least is there a way to correlate to a booking class? Or worst case, does upgrading to J class get you a “J” reservation?

Thanks!
Yes, absolutely you can earn AA miles on domestic JAL flights. My wife and I have done it several times. When booking the flight, there is a place to choose the Frequent Flying program (AA in this case) and put in your AAdvantage number. It takes around 4 to 5 days for the miles to show up after completing your flight. Here is what one mileage posting looks like in your AA wallet...
Attached Images  
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

Thank you. That seems to be a first class flight - did you book that as first class, or economy? I believe their F seats absolutely earn miles, but those are certainly not cheap ... i was looking more at the discounted economy ones, which are more of a quagmire.

[edit] also, very interesting that the 500 mile minimum did not apply?...
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
A is economy on domestic flights, scroll down farther in that link provided above and you'll see Domestic below International. I had two flights in October, both posted as A fares. 75% base miles, 50% EQMs, and 15% EQDs.

It's no different with ANA on domestic flights, you never know what you get until you fly because of how they name them and neither JL or NH post fare classes for domestic flights. Have not tried it on JL, 'upgrading' to class J may put you into a different fare class. Doing the same on NH, upgrading to Premium does put you in a First Class booking code crediting to UA. Class J on JL is different from NH Premium, so I'd be surprised if it's that much of a boost, but something to keep in mind.
Pseudo Nim likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:23 pm

Thank you. That seems to be a first class flight - did you book that as first class, or economy? I believe their F seats absolutely earn miles, but those are certainly not cheap ... i was looking more at the discounted economy ones, which are more of a quagmire.

It was Economy coach fare, which shows in the picture I attached.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:13 pm

No, the 500 mile minimums do not apply here.

Are you overthinking the AA miles you will get from different JAL fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.