Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Double EQS offers going around too?
maxwellh likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would assume the number of people that have $22-$24K in cash setting around, haven't flown much but plan to fly a lot in the upcoming year, or just want the ego status of EXP, is fairly limited. But it seems as though the airlines will look for money anywhere they can get it.

I'm a mid spend PP and I'm constantly number 10 + on the upgrade list, including mid weeks and Saturday nights. I'm assuming lots of EXPs, particularly from large hubs are seeing a lot more of Y than they thought their EXP status would avoid. We are moving towards a system that those that want F/J will pay for it.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I think it would be very rare, especially at the lower tiers, to hit that EQD requirement without also hitting EQMs by pure accident.
If you fly a lot of last minute, expensive, short-haul it’s certainly possible. Say, for example, PHL-ORH/BTV/ROC/PWM, or DFW-TXK/ABI/LRD, etc.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I left AA a couple of years ago after being EXP for a few years. no promo for me either. I got the AA Gold promo from Hyatt but did not register for it...

i would have propably done this promo had I been selected, 15-20K EQDs is doable while 100k eqm not so much 😅
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, if you're Hyatt Glob, apparently they are handing out AA EXP for free to a good number of people who called their concierge.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I got the 22k EP promo. I re-qualified this year with 51k spend and 210 EQM.

And tbh I'm not sure I'll sign up for it. No clear benefit for me anyways since I expect to hit the EQM again easily, and I don't want to be one more number on their data to help them make the case to switch for revenue qualification in the future.
nyc6035 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:48 pm

I got this and am thankful. I have $19K+ EQD and ~44K EQM.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I got 22k for EXP. Currently at 36k EQD, 235k EQM and 143 EQS.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Originally Posted by staren937
I didn’t receive this. Annoying.
I just got mine (24K for EXP) 15 minutes ago, so they clearly weren't all sent out at the same time.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I think that means if you opt-in for this promotion, you cannot renew status the old way using a combination of EQD and EQM/EQS. It's one or the other.
Wrong - according to the offer I received 'You can still qualify for American Airlines AAdvantage® elite status with the published Elite Qualificationactivity — even if you register for this promotion.'
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:47 pm

I think that means if you opt-in for this promotion, you cannot renew status the old way using a combination of EQD and EQM/EQS. It's one or the other.
Originally Posted by dwugson
Wrong - according to the offer I received 'You can still qualify for American Airlines AAdvantage® elite status with the published Elite Qualificationactivity — even if you register for this promotion.'
Right. It says that you can only qualify via one "alternate method," implying that there may be other alternate methods out there (like only EQSs or only EQMs), but I can't really imagine another alternate method that would (theoretically) generate revenue the way EQDs do.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by lizthegrey
Double EQS offers going around too? https://twitter.com/Wisco_Warner/sta...83570612559879
Can anyone confirm if this is reality? Double EQSs would help a lot of people who fly tons of short hauls (regional sales type folks). I can't personally imagine a world in which I'd get 24K EQD and not also hit the EQMs, but I definitely could hit 15K EQDs and only have 60ish segments (for example: myself this year--19K EQD; 108K EQM; 64 EQS . . . though the EQD and EQM are severely inflated from a JNB run on BA last month).
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by maxwellh
Right. It says that you can only qualify via one "alternate method," implying that there may be other alternate methods out there (like only EQSs or only EQMs), but I can't really imagine another alternate method that would (theoretically) generate revenue the way EQDs do.
They could require 300k EQM only :P
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I just received the e-mail and it states specifically you can still earn status by the old method, so disregard what I said previously. This must mean that, if any other method is offered in the future, you can only select it if you don't select this one. So ... it's the standard method or one alternate method.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by VFR
I would have guessed that AA and DL would have waited a year to see how UA's program changes worked out. However, UA likely will not address the efficacy of the program in a public way, so AA would have to hear "through the grapevine" and find some way to measure if there are fewer high-dollar customers that spent on AA that could feasibly switch to UA (i.e. folks out of ORD). A promotion like this provides a much more direct way to measure the effectiveness of a spending-based qualification: was the cohort that qualified exclusively on spending more valuable than those that qualified on EQMs?
I've been thinking lately that the UA changes were designed to go after AA, given hub geography, vs. DL. So it's more incumbent on AA to answer, because they may be seeing some regular J flyers shifting early 2020 spend to UA.

Distance qualification was a proxy for spend, especially in the TA-dominant era, but more recently it's served as more of a means of limiting elite qualification on multiple airlines (and thus free agency). Pure spend blows that up: I'd expect a lot more flyers with both 1K and EXP (who would then be free agents between UA and AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.