luggage short check (LAX-ORD-NRT)

Old Dec 10, 19, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Hello Folks,

Greetings.
I will be traveling LAX-ORD-NRT (AA award ticket), LAX-ORD on AA metal arriving at ORD at 1:30am, while ORD-NRT (JAL metal) leaving at 10:30am.
With 9 hr "overnight" transfer, how good my chance is to ask check in counter at LAX to short-check my bag to ORD ? Both flight in F.

The actual reason is I have a separate ticket (AA award as well) from NRT to PEK (JAL metal) on same day of ORD/NRT flight's arrival (3 hr to connect), AA won't through check my bag, but JAL specifically mentioned they can help my through check at ORD. So I am hopping to re-check my bag at ORD to save me from immigration/recheck at NRT.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Seandr

I am not trying to do anything "illegal" or "hidden city", I can also show check in counter the email I got from JAL mentioning they will help me check through on separately booked ticket.
Just wondering how should I bring this up so to have a better chance to success.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 10, 19 at 11:23 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Seems like a reasonable request since it’s overnight. LAX-ORD-NRT would be a rather odd hidden city itinerary anyways.
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Tell LAX check in that you will be leaving the airport for a night's rest and want to pickup your checked bag at ORD and will recheck later in the morning for ORD-NRT.

Done it before w/ evening flight in, hotel stay, AM flight out several times. Yours is just a very late evening flight.
trooper and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
With an overnight connection, just tell the agent that you need your luggage during the overnight stay in Chicago and nicely ask to short check it. Hopefully, you won't get a cantankerous agent of some sort (very possible at LAX).
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for kind suggestions.
I will cross my fingers for getting a kind and happy agent upon check in
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by seandr View Post
Thank you all for kind suggestions.
I will cross my fingers for getting a kind and happy agent upon check in
Please post your experience in the unlikely event that you do not get an agent that will accommodate this request.
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
If you don't get a cooperative agent, LAX is large enough where you could walk to a different desk and try again.
If they continually refuse, maybe keep a small overnight bag ready to grab some clothes from your larger suitcase as needed.
If they play ball, just shove the bag into the suitcase while you check it..
Old Dec 11, 19, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Is there a specific written policy on this I could point to? I recently flew RDU-LHR-HKG and had quite a long layover in LHR. Planned to shower in the arrivals lounge, then recheck my bag at BA First checkin, and leave the airport to go meet up with friends.

The Agent in RDU told me short-checking is no longer allowed. I pressed the issue, she continued to say “no” - luckily my layover was long enough that the system wouldn’t let her check it through all the way anyhow, so I didn’t have to escalate any further. It would be good to know what the official policy is on this for future reference...
Old Dec 12, 19, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Found this one for thorough check policy, however no luck trying for find the policy for now allowing short-checks.
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
Old Dec 12, 19, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You need to plan on AA refusing to short-check and thus having to retrieve and then check in again at NRT. If you can get a short-check, so much the better.

In particular, I would always have the first few days clothing in a carry-on for a journey with multiple transfers and carriers, no matter the short-check situation.
Old Dec 12, 19, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Advise taken, Thanks.
For me the worst case is having to go through immigration and re-check the bag, transfer time is more than enough.

Last edited by seandr; Dec 12, 19 at 6:21 pm Reason: update text

Search this Thread
Search Engine: