Recommendation on changing flight.

Old Dec 10, 19, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Silver, Fantasy Football Champ
Recommendation on changing flight.

Trying to figure out the best way to do this. I booked a flight for myself and 2 of my co workers on a flight from PIT to MCO on Jan 23. I booked this about a week ago. I just found out that I have to now go to Ft Meyers on Jan 21. My 2 colleagues still need to go to Orlando on the 23rd. What is the best way for me to go about this? Call AA and have them just cancel my ticket and then I can re-book my flight to Ft Meyers? Or just book a new flight for myself and not show up for the original flight to MCO? Will that cancel my colleagues flights or can they just cancel mine? What kind of fees would I incur? I am a Platinum member.
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Is this round trip or one way?
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by rocket2247 View Post
Trying to figure out the best way to do this. I booked a flight for myself and 2 of my co workers on a flight from PIT to MCO on Jan 23. I booked this about a week ago. I just found out that I have to now go to Ft Meyers on Jan 21. My 2 colleagues still need to go to Orlando on the 23rd. What is the best way for me to go about this? Call AA and have them just cancel my ticket and then I can re-book my flight to Ft Meyers? Or just book a new flight for myself and not show up for the original flight to MCO? Will that cancel my colleagues flights or can they just cancel mine? What kind of fees would I incur? I am a Platinum member.
If you have the aisle seat, for example, maybe one of your coworkers would rather have that, so go online and change seats before you don't show up
You not showing will not cancel their flights. If you have another flight on that ticket, that will be canceled. If the ticket price is less than the change fee, definitely cancel before the flight.
You could wait for as long as possible,because a schedule change or weather problem might change things.........not that there are ever weather issues in Pittsburgh in January
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Change fees are stipulated by your fare rules. Basic economy doesn't allow changes. Most domestic US tickets have a $200 change fee. You may find that it's less expensive to abandon your ticket and buy a new one depending on how much you paid.
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, forget your colleagues. Each of them has a ticket and can fly that ticket as issued.

Second, as this is work-related, do what makes economic sense for the business.

What to do about your ticket all depends on the pricing. If you purchased a typical domestic penalty fare, you could change your ticket to what you need and pay a $200 penalty, purchase a one way to RSW, drive over to MCO and fly the return segment (after cancelling the outbound and paying a $200 fee), or ditching the first ticket and purchasing a new one.

I would price all of the options and do what works best.

Make certain that you don't have "impossible" bookings as AA will cancel one or the other and it may be the one you don't want cancelled.
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Silver, Fantasy Football Champ
Thanks for the responses. I think I will just abandon my current ticket to MCO. I can get a flight to RSW for under $150 so calling and changing my flight would be more costly. I just wanted to make sure nothing would happen to my colleagues if I don't show up for the PIT-MCO flights. Luckily it's a one way ticket as I booked our return MCO-PIT separately as we are coming back at different times.
Old Dec 11, 19, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing will happen to your colleagues. As already noted, each passenger has his own ticket. Whether you book them at the same or different times is irrelevant.

As to booking one-way tickets, it may have worked out in this instance, but bear in mind that if it came about that one or more of you needed to change your trip, the change fee is $200 to change the ticket, no matter how many segments. If booked as one-way, changing the trip by a week would cost $400 as it is two tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: