Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AC New Access Rules Effective Nov 01, 2019 - Opinions

Old Dec 10, 19, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry

Hello Fellow AA Flyers:

I'm curious how you all feel about the recent policy change to AC admission.

(a) Were you adequately notified of this impending change?
(b) Will it impact your decision to renew?
(c) Have you noticed any improvement in comfort level with reduced personnel, or lower attendance density per club?
(d) Are there any other policy changes you would like to see with AC access and/or behavior?

Wishing you all a safe and relaxing Holiday Season !

Cheers,
IrishBoy,
Menlo Park, CA (not an AA employee, just a very loyal customer for the past 25 years, ex. SFO --- Love the new SJC-AUS Service commencing 4/7/20).

Last edited by IrishBoy; Dec 10, 19 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
a. - yes
b. - no
c. - what does "reduced personnel" mean?
d. - enforcement of the "no outside food" rule
AA100k likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by IrishBoy View Post
(c) Have you noticed any improvement in comfort level with reduced personnel?
By personnel, I assume you mean passengers/guests, not lounge staff?
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Not surprisingly there's an existing thread covering the change with lots of observations and opinions...

Admirals Club rates increased, new restrictions: 1 Nov 2019
GTITAN likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
a. - yes
b. - no
c. - what does "reduced personnel" mean?
Clarified, I meant overall density of people in the lounge, some are much larger than others, key being the level of access to seating, business desks, lines at the bar/food among other criteria.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:37 am
Original Poster

JJeffrey Thanks for noting that.. thought this might be a valid post to see how things have changed since Nov 01 at the AC.

Last edited by IrishBoy; Dec 10, 19 at 11:38 am Reason: Add name.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Hello Fellow AA Flyers:

I'm curious how you all feel about the recent policy change to AC admission.

(c) Have you noticed any improvement in comfort level with reduced personnel, or lower attendance density per club?
(d) Are there any other policy changes you would like to see with AC access and/or behavior?
(a) Sure.
(b) No.
(c) No changes
(d) No. But as for 'no outside food' rule --Boo, I disagree. Let me sneak in food unless the AC is to offer a better menu and better availability (I feel like half the time I've tried to order something on the menu, they're out of it). Terminal C at DFW is hellish to eat in outside the admirals club.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:45 am
VFR

Programs: AA PLT, DL PM
Is there a no outside food rule? I thought that was a UA/DL thing.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
(a) Sure.
(b) No.
(c) No changes
(d) No. But as for 'no outside food' rule --Boo, I disagree. Let me sneak in food unless the AC is to offer a better menu and better availability (I feel like half the time I've tried to order something on the menu, they're out of it). Terminal C at DFW is hellish to eat in outside the admirals club.
I agree with the outside food. If the AC had decent options that would be one thing, but until that happens the food inside the lounge at 13 dollars is appalling.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Just curious, why do people care what other people are eating in the lounge? I can at least understand inside an airplane where one would be subjected to food odors within a constrained space, but I don't think this issue occurs inside the lounge.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:42 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Also agree that I want to continue to bring in outside food until they step up their food game. The snacks are nice as snacks, but when I want a full meal their menu is pretty slim.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat; former UA Gold
There's no more rule to enforce. LUS's food rule died when they merged the policies.
jhartvu and LovePrunes like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: CK or bust
The official house rules are here but make no mention of not bringing in outside food. They do specifically state that:

complimentary food, alcoholic beverages and periodicals provided by Admirals Club are for consumption and use inside the Admirals Club only and may not be removed.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
A. Yes
B. No. In fact it doesn’t even change my usage patterns. I cannot think of one time in the last 10 years that I visited the lounge and I wasn’t on an AA flight that day.
C. No. I have not observed anything different. My guess is that the majority of club members have usage patterns similar to mine.
D. Yes. I have one change I would like to see. Several loyalty programs allow occasional adjustments in how you earn and redeem: Hilton allows you to choose if you earn hotel points vs miles vs a blend (“My Way”?); Southwest offers companion pass and allows you to periodically change that companion (right?)... Well, I’d like to see the Admirals Club offer a “My Choice” component to the bar selection. So, no longer would we be offered the wide variety of free, cheap liquor, beer and wine, but instead we could, on a monthly basis, select our one choice (“My Choice”) of drink that we have free access to. So for me, for this month, it might be Tito’s - all Tito’s drinks are free. But nothing else! Next month I may choose to switch to Miller Lite, and the month after that, The Glenlivet 12. The point is, it’s My Choice!
IrishBoy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy View Post
There's no more rule to enforce. LUS's food rule died when they merged the policies.
Oh that's too bad. There's nothing worse than smelling McDonald's while trying to relax or having to work around food wrappers that people leave on tables. Both happened to me in just the last week.

Then my answer for "d" is "Add a 'no outside food' rule".
BWISkyGuy likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: