Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AC New Access Rules Effective Nov 01, 2019 - Opinions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC New Access Rules Effective Nov 01, 2019 - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Oh that's too bad. There's nothing worse than smelling McDonald's while trying to relax or having to work around food wrappers that people leave on tables. Both happened to me in just the last week.

Then my answer for "d" is "Add a 'no outside food' rule".
There's plenty worse, including eating in the chaos of the terminal because the AC you bought a membership for is 'too good' for your food (while happily serving the same cheap sour wine they have been serving for months).

Hard to control and regulate based on smells, but generally I like separation of 'loud' vs 'quiet' spaces which the big ACs do, and maybe outside food and drink can be limited to the loud spaces and we both get what we want.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by IrishBoy
Hello Fellow AA Flyers:

(a) Were you adequately notified of this impending change?
(b) Will it impact your decision to renew?
(c) Have you noticed any improvement in comfort level with reduced personnel, or lower attendance density per club?
(d) Are there any other policy changes you would like to see with AC access and/or behavior?
Only got AC membership around May.

a. Heard about it first on FT. Can't remember if I got an email but I saw a few signs boards about it in an AC i visited recently (either LGA, ORD or CLT).

b. Nope

c. I haven't noticed a change imo. I only fly 2-3 times every two months and at different times so I can never get a pulse when it's busier or quieter than normal before/after the Nov change.

d. Would love to see more wireless chargers around. As for food, I'd be ok with "no outside food" rule only when they've got a better spread of food. In the meantime i'll definitely be bringing my McDonalds and Tortas Frontera into the lounge. Even the staff have encouraged me in the past to go bring something to eat from outside the lounge when I first asked about the menu inside.

Edit: Saw the comment aboce mine. Definitely a better wine as the complimentary one. I think this is the first lounge i visit frequently where I don't drink.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Oh that's too bad. There's nothing worse than smelling McDonald's while trying to relax or having to work around food wrappers that people leave on tables. Both happened to me in just the last week.

Then my answer for "d" is "Add a 'no outside food' rule".
There's plenty worse than smelling McDonald's in an airport, but you may enjoy this thread from May
Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class

I think outside food should be fine, to me lounges are about comfortable chairs and being less chaotic than the concourse. My answer to (d) is "Quiet zones".
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by peaches070

Edit: Saw the comment aboce mine. Definitely a better wine as the complimentary one. I think this is the first lounge i visit frequently where I don't drink.
Yes.

The current comp red wine and whatever they were serving before it (at DFW at least, I suppose they all serve the same wine though) are two of three house wines I know of out there that I just can't drink. The premium wine choices have some real winners though, always loved finding and getting chits (much appreciation to all of you out there who left them behind).
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes I knew, yes I renewed (today in fact for another year), no I've seen no difference in crowd levels (I'm in the DFW A AC right now and it's packed on a Tuesday afternoon) and while there are some behaviors I'd like not to see (like children running wild) I doubt a policy will fix that.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Since the change went into effect following the peak international travel season to Europe, not sure that the less crowding I’m seeing is seasonal or related to the new rules. Last August was the worst overcrowding I’ve ever experienced in ACs in the five years since the merger. Perhaps that was partially due to all the Mx delays that month. In any event, I’ll withhold judgment until the spring when seasonal traffic picks up.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
a) Yes, several emails over the past few months from AA, plus FT notices.
b) No
c) Not really, but I've only had a couple trips since Nov. 1.
d) Why not shoot the moon? I'd like every club to have a quiet room just like the one at ORD G gates.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
d) Why not shoot the moon? I'd like every club to have a quiet room just like the one at ORD G gates.
Don't spoil the secret of the ORD G gates lounge! While I appreciate the sheer amount of space of the H/K lounge (not to mention the times I get to use the 2nd floor) and the position of the L lounge, the G lounge really is the best for getting away from the crowds.

For me:
a) Yes. Emails + FT + a few more emails
b) No. Have access via the Citi Exec card. I may re-evaluate on my next AF next fall, but for now I'm keeping it
c) No. The ORD H/K lounge is still just as crowded as it was. I did find the LAX T5 lounge suspiciously empty, but it was a mid-day Tuesday.
d) Would love a higher grade selection of free drinks
LovePrunes and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:32 am

Was there a (substantial?) population of propel using Admirals Clubs not in an AA flight that day? I could only picture this if airport was well-served by numerous airlines, but in that case why not just go with Delta/UA?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would think in some airports like MIA and LGA the number of paxs using the AC when flying another airline was quite small. As I was walking from A to C yesterday around 4PM at DFW (Tuesday) there was a long line to get in at the C AC. If one was flying another airline they could take the DFW SkyTrain over to one of the AA terminals. I just don't know how many would bother with the hassle unless they had a fairly long layover.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
(a) Were you adequately notified of this impending change? Yes
(b) Will it impact your decision to renew? No, I only fly AA anyway, but it seems petty to me.
(c) Have you noticed any improvement in comfort level with reduced personnel, or lower attendance density per club? No
(d) Are there any other policy changes you would like to see with AC access and/or behavior? I'd like dedicated "phone booths" like the jabberboxes at LGA in the terminal where you can make a private phone call. Also, napping pods would be great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.