Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA announces new "nerd bird" routes: AUS-BOS, AUS-SJC and "special event" city pairs

AA announces new "nerd bird" routes: AUS-BOS, AUS-SJC and "special event" city pairs

Old Dec 10, 19, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Agreed! Does anyone fly this route anymore?
Yes, UA does.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 2:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
Yes, UA does.
Once a day but being discontinued next year.
Old Dec 10, 19, 2:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Admirals Club in BOS was handing out these flyers at front desk today:

(Sorry, not sure why pic got rotated after upload)
Attached Images  
SK and aztimm like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 10, 19 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by redct View Post
Competition on AUS-BOS is steadily increasing - with the AA flights, there will now be 2x AA, 2x B6, 1x WN, 1x DL each way on the weekdays.
Disclaimer: my interest in this very specific route pair should be quite clear .

No clue how this route will sustain 6x daily flights, as both ends have relatively limited onward connection options (the DL flight is not well timed for connecting to the Boston-Europe flights, and not ideally timed for the Europe-Boston flights I'm aware of). The local markets are strong of course and only getting stronger, but 900+ seats each way every weekday? I'm looking forward to some very, very cheap fares, but I'm not sure how well it will go for the airlines in question.

Hard to believe when I moved to Austin five years ago that this route had one (poorly timed IMO) nonstop flight on B6 that seemed like an afterthought, and here we are now.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Now I just wish they would complete the triangle and offer an SJC-BOS nonstop
sdix and Score8 like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
1996 called. It wants its press release back.

I guess this is what passes for innovation at AA these days: reinstating SJC routes with a long AA history and adding a few oddball flights here and there for special events (something UA has been doing for a while).

If AA brought back comfortable MD-80s to fly AUS-SJC that might be cool (though at its high water mark I believe AUS-SJC was up to 4x daily with 3 of those flights being operated by 757s).
Ummm... ok...

I'm not sure that I need, what has basically become Greyhound bus transportation, to be "innovative" I just need it to go places I need to get to. My wife was literally about to change her allegiances, as an EXP, and historically very loyal to AA, because she travels this route frequently and is sick and tired of connecting. Now she is considering staying loyal (somewhat) to AA.

And there was lots of Austin to Cabo flights in 1996, eh?

As much as we liked the MD-80's as well, that ship has long sailed and that isn't just an AA thing.

I criticize AA as much as anyone, and I guess you were trying to "cool" with this post, but frankly, as an Austin based traveler, I'm pretty happy with this announcement, it's "innovative" enough for me.

Regards

P.S. According to Gary Leff at viewfromthewing.com, not included in the press release, but AA is also adding back the 2nd daily flight to JFK, which is a flight we frequently use and were beginning to look longingly at Delta's 3 flights a day for AUS-JFK, so again, contrary to this poster, I feel like today was a pretty good day for Austin based AA fliers.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
All they want to bring it back nonstop flight BOS-FLL, SJC-NRT, SJC-BUR, SJC-SNA, BOS-MCO, BOS-PBI, SJC-LAX, SJC-LAS, SJC-PHX and SJC-MIA, as well.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
The one-way-only extra segment AUS-SJC on Sunday is kinda interesting. Is there a corresponding one-way flight out of SJC?
Old Dec 11, 19, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
The one-way-only extra segment AUS-SJC on Sunday is kinda interesting. Is there a corresponding one-way flight out of SJC?
There isn't a one way extra segment.
In one direction the flight runs daily except Saturday.
In the other direction, there's a Monday-Friday flight, and a seperate Sunday flight at a different time.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I know this is about mainline, but one regional that AA still maintains that is more than a bit surprising is a once a day MDT BOS.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
I wonder if they are getting incentives now for these "new" nonstops. AUS has CDG LHR AMS and FRA non-stops now, just off the top of my head.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ional-flights/
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
There isn't a one way extra segment.
In one direction the flight runs daily except Saturday.
In the other direction, there's a Monday-Friday flight, and a seperate Sunday flight at a different time.
Oh right. Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
I know this thread is mostly about AUS, but personally I'm really excited about the Berkshire Hathaway OMA routes. DL has been running extra planes for the annual shareholder weekend for 3+ years, and even puts up special welcome signs and free snacks... here's the updated sign from last year after Berkshire became the largest shareholder in DAL. I don't see the new flights loaded yet though (at least the NYC ones).

AAway likes this.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:51 pm

B6 upping capacity on Austin / Boston now as well. Someone’s going to end cutting back soon.
Old Dec 12, 19, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dn10 View Post
B6 upping capacity on Austin / Boston now as well. Someone’s going to end cutting back soon.
Some days having over 1000+ seats each way daily (3x B6, 2x AA, 1x DL, 1x WN) seems absurd to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: