How many flight attendants on a 777-200?

Old Dec 9, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

How many flight attendants on a 777-200?

I will be flying transatlantic on a 777-200 this week and wanted to give the FA's gift cards as a thank you for their patience since it's around the holidays and I'll be travelling with an infant. Does anybody know how many FA's are likely to be working the flight? It's east coast to LHR and I'm guessing 10-13, but wanted to see if anyone might have a better idea.

Many thanks!
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:35 am

Do you mean in your own cabin (which class?), or are you planning to cross cabins or deputize an FA to distribute to others?

Not really answering your question, but I would suggest giving to those FAs you directly interact with, as you do so, rather than hunting down every single one. When they take an order or serve you something, they get a card if they haven't already. Six should be enough for those serving your specific aisle over the flight.
ShamRockSteady likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Well, I was thinking of handing them all to one FA and letting her know she could distribute them among the crew, but I take your point about sticking to the FA's I interact with in my own cabin. In which case, I agree six would likely be enough. I just want think it would be nice to ensure everyone gets one (especially since, you know, it helps to have them on-side if the baby causes a ruckus, heh...)
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
My guess is 11 based on having flown these in the past in Economy Class. That was before Premium Economy seating but I’m not sure if that changed the equation.
ShamRockSteady likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady View Post
Well, I was thinking of handing them all to one FA and letting her know she could distribute them among the crew...
Maybe i've become too cynical in my old age that I think this is a bad idea.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Maybe i've become too cynical in my old age that I think this is a bad idea.

You mean I might get a bad apple who hoards them all? I must admit the thought did cross my mind...
Old Dec 9, 19, 2:38 pm

The cabin crew will be 11 total, and thank you for such a kind gesture!
Old Dec 9, 19, 4:11 pm

As a nurse who works a LOT of holidays small gestures such as this mean a lot. We're away from our families too, and any family member who recognizes this just gets us in the feels.
Old Dec 9, 19, 5:45 pm

My policy is that each crewmember on my last flight of each calendar year gets a Starbucks card.
(Also the Starbucks clerk who sells me the cards gets one.)

Last flight hasn't ever been on a widebody, tho...

saunders111
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta PM
Hi! I do this on all my flights for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I usually give it to the purser as I board (and usually put them in an envelope stapled to a bag of Ghiradelli chocolate for some instant gratification). Iím glad to see others do this!
robertablake and CFM3RD like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: AA CK, Million Miler (1.999m)
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
Hi! I do this on all my flights for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I usually give it to the purser as I board (and usually put them in an envelope stapled to a bag of Ghiradelli chocolate for some instant gratification). Iím glad to see others do this!
On all of my international flights I do give a box of treats for all the FAs to share during the flight. I know it is appropriated as I get many of the FAs, whether serving my cabin or not, thank me during during some portion of the flight.

I have never given gift cards, although I like that idea. After 22 trips (and counting) to Tokyo and back in the last 3 years, I am getting to know many of the FAs working that flight, so a little extra something at Christmas time would be nice for my friends in the sky. Does anyone know if I buy Starbucks gift cards in Japan can they be used in the US?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I, also tend to do the gift cards on flights during Christmas..
avoid starbucks, because I , myself dont like their coffee...
used to be Target gift cards, now this year thinking of amazon cards instead
CFM3RD likes this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 7:58 am
Original Poster

As a quick update: my wife and I I handed out $5 Starbucks gift cards to the FAs on my flight (I handed them to one of the ones working my cabin who distributed them to the rest) and I think every one ended up stopping by to thank us personally during the flight. They also gave us a couple of amenity kits (we were in economy) as well as a bottle of champagne and a hand-written thank you note from the purser (alas we had to throw away the champagne at LHR since you have to go through security every time you connect there). But more importantly, they seemed genuinely shocked and delighted with such a small gesture. I think I might make this an annual thing!
Old Jan 4, 20, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the great idea. It never crossed my mind. I will do this on next international flight.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:53 pm

I do this on my holiday flights - I get bags of Lindor truffles, and include the cockpit crew too. It's so fun because the crew is always just thrilled.

On AA/DL, usually whoever I give the treats to will ask my seat number and the FAs will come around and thank me.

On WN, it's hit or miss (I'm sure because there's no seat number and pax probably all blend together during boarding) - one time the FA brought me a set of wings and a business-card type thing signed by the whole crew, which was awesome. On both my WN flights this Christmas, the FA at the boarding door seemed very appreciative but that was it. Of course no acknowledgment is necessary, it's just fun to know that holiday cheer has been spread.

(One time on a NW Christmas flight to MEM, I brought treats on board, the FA was thrilled, etc/etc/etc - I guess they didn't secure them very well, because when we started our takeoff roll, I saw the little bag of treats I brought on board sliding down the aisle, from the front of the a320 all the way to the back... then after takeoff, I noticed one of the FAs bringing the bag back to the front. She later thanked me and said it was the first time she'd had candy delivered to her during takeoff.)

(Also, one time at Thanksgiving, around 2000 or so when I was much younger, I was connecting through DFW, with 2nd flight on e145 with just one FA - turns out she was this knockout Texas blond, and like something out of a sitcom I was so smitten I could barely form words to explain the gift, and between that and not wanting to hold up the boarding process I pretty much just handed her the bag without saying anything except "uh..." and "um..." - she thanked me after takeoff, in a rom-com it would have been a great meet-cute and we would have fallen in love and gotten married but instead I just remained tongue-tied, though at least by that point I was able to form a sentence.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: