Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Food & Beverage Service Cuts on non-Flagship Transcons 8 Dec 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food & Beverage Service Cuts on non-Flagship Transcons 8 Dec 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by cmd320
Would love to see B6 expand Mint to MIA.
Take a drive up I-95...
jcatman likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Cutting your way to profitability is just a race to the bottom. Eventually delta will rule the skies as they will be the only us airline with good service and inflight amenities, fleet wide IFE, and reliable operations.
Really? AA has good service (one bad summer does not make a bad airline -- DL and UA have both had bad periods), fleet-wide IFE through BYOD (which I see people using even on flights with seatback screens), arguably the best hard international J product, domestic F meals no better or worse than DL/UA (yes, I've flown all three), and solid operations since the summer issues were dealt with.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Quoting from VftW: "...all flights operating with narrow body aircraft, except for the 32T, will change from a Transcon level of service to our standard Domestic LH service ..."
There's nothing there about the change only affecting MIA-LAX. And the response VftW got from AA does not indicate any such restriction.
What other current route would it apply to?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Really? AA has good service (one bad summer does not make a bad airline -- DL and UA have both had bad periods), fleet-wide IFE through BYOD (which I see people using even on flights with seatback screens), arguably the best hard international J product, domestic F meals no better or worse than DL/UA (yes, I've flown all three), and solid operations since the summer issues were dealt with.
Sorry, but no. AA does not have good service. It can, if you luck out and get one of the crews interested in doing their job that day. If you end up with one like I did today with no PDB despite 2L boarding and only one drink served in the air on a 3 hour flight, then they certainly do not have good service. Delta wipes the floor with AA when it comes to consistently offering a decent product.
BearX220, olouie and TXguy like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Quoting from VftW: "...all flights operating with narrow body aircraft, except for the 32T, will change from a Transcon level of service to our standard Domestic LH service ..."
There's nothing there about the change only affecting MIA-LAX. And the response VftW got from AA does not indicate any such restriction.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
BWISkyGuy mentioned "the narrowbody non-321's that sometimes operate the SFO/LAX-JFK/MIA". So, those, I guess? I'm sure you and he know better than I.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
AA used to have (maybe still does) an intermediary level between domestic J and transcon. It was offered on routes like MIA-LAX, LAX-IAD etc. and included pillow+blanket etc. but not the full blown 321T.

So, is that whats gone? or just MIA-LAX non 321 dropping to the mid-level?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You can either keep with the party line or actually listen to customers. Or just dismiss us as idiots, which is the current AA management way.

You aren't going to convince customers on a message board that we don't know what bad service looks like. Either you think we're too stupid or have no options, but hey, the financial performance trails DL and UA; ostriching will work only for so long. The difference is DL continues to get better and more consistent, UA has started moving from being a disaster to slightly better and AA is trending in the opposite direction.
BearX220, olouie, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
AA used to have (maybe still does) an intermediary level between domestic J and transcon. It was offered on routes like MIA-LAX, LAX-IAD etc. and included pillow+blanket etc. but not the full blown 321T.

So, is that whats gone? or just MIA-LAX non 321 dropping to the mid-level?
To my way of thinking, this is just MIA-LAX going to long (of 'short' 'medium' 'long' 'premium transcon)

Unless Gary has something updated from what I had heard on this in October:
dls25 and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...DL continues to get better and more consistent, UA has started moving from being a disaster to slightly better and AA is trending in the opposite direction.
DL just upped service / amenity intensity in TATL Y and the cabin crews apparently like it. Morale is high and they're proud to be executing at a higher level. Here AA cabin crews have apparently pressured management successfully to further slash an already weak transcon service script because, you know, it's inconvenient.
PlatinumScum likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
DL just upped service / amenity intensity in TATL Y and the cabin crews apparently like it. Morale is high and they're proud to be executing at a higher level. Here AA cabin crews have apparently pressured management successfully to further slash an already weak transcon service script because, you know, it's inconvenient.
I don’t completely blame the crews on this as it’s partly because of the POS USAir planes and post-merger high density configurations.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
You can either keep with the party line or actually listen to customers. Or just dismiss us as idiots, which is the current AA management way
I don't work for AA. Never have. I fly every week. My experiences (and those of my co-workers) are nothing like what some on here post.
DataPlumber likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Strictly talking about the premium cabin, the flight time permits for a longer service -

BA seems to get it; it takes them two hours to get through theirs unless its intra-EU.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AA100k
Exactly. Nothing to see here.
Not quite. The title is clickbait, but this does affect MIA-LAX flights that aren't widebodies. So, a regular MIA-LAX customer accustomed to a premium transcon service standard in a 737 for the route will now see the service downgraded to a regular non-premium transcon service, unless s/he lucks out and the plane is a widebody.

IIRC, what will be lost on non-widebody flights on this route, in terms of meal service, would be: printed menus, a third entree choice, and a third dessert choice. Warm nuts, appetizers, and cheese/sundaes will remain, standardized to the levels of, say, PHL-SFO. Whether or not the cut is big or is "nothing" will remain a decision of the customer.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:05 pm

Haha. That's some seriously delusional thinking. AA is consistently the worse in on-time performance, not just this summer. The "fleet wide IFE through BYOD" is something that at least Delta offers as well, but they also have seat-back screens on most flights in case you want to do something like catch up on e-mail while you're watching a movie (or don't have a device with power). I agree the international hard product is really good on AA, but the domestic offering is terrible and consistently getting worse while the competition is continuing to improve.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Not quite. The title is clickbait, but this does affect MIA-LAX flights that aren't widebodies. So, a regular MIA-LAX customer accustomed to a premium transcon service standard in a 737 for the route will now see the service downgraded to a regular non-premium transcon service, unless s/he lucks out and the plane is a widebody.

IIRC, what will be lost on non-widebody flights on this route, in terms of meal service, would be: printed menus, a third entree choice, and a third dessert choice. Warm nuts, appetizers, and cheese/sundaes will remain, standardized to the levels of, say, PHL-SFO. Whether or not the cut is big or is "nothing" will remain a decision of the customer.
And my comment was directed at the clickbait title, not the meal service on the affected route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.