Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancelled award ticket within 24 hours, miles back?

Old Dec 7, 19, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I cancelled my ticket that I booked with miles after an 1 hour after I booked. Will I receive my miles back?
Old Dec 7, 19, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Chris22121 View Post
Hi, I cancelled my ticket that I booked with miles after an 1 hour after I booked. Will I receive my miles back?
Did you request a refund of your miles within 24 hours also? Cancelling an award ticket and requesting a refund of the associated miles are not the same thing.
Old Dec 8, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Chris22121 View Post
You always have to call AA to have miles redeposited for a cancelled award.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
You always have to call AA to have miles redeposited for a cancelled award.
This seems to be true based on my recent experience, but is actually inconsistent with the language on aa.com when you cancel which seems to indicate that you'll automatically get refunded as long as you do it within 24 hours.
Old Dec 9, 19, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
This seems to be true based on my recent experience, but is actually inconsistent with the language on aa.com when you cancel which seems to indicate that you'll automatically get refunded as long as you do it within 24 hours.
From aa.com....

-Cancellations to the original ticket purchased 2 or more days prior to departure will have up to 24 hours from the time itís ticketed to be eligible for a full ticket refund including the reinstatement of award miles, co-payment amount paid and AAdvantageģ award processing fee. If you cancel the ticket on aa.com, you must call Reservations to request the reinstatement of award miles and refund of any co-payment or processing fee paid.
seigex likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:57 am

Yes, but in the cancellation flow itself it gives the impression that you automatically get your payment back if you do it within 24 hours (presumably because AA's crack web development team can't do a custom message if you booked using miles.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:06 am

Yes, but in the cancellation flow itself it gives the impression that you automatically get your payment back if you do it within 24 hours (presumably because AA's crack web development team can't do a custom message if you booked using miles.
This is from an award ticket booked today

seigex and ShortDog like this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: CK or bust
Indeed, even on revenue tickets that are cancelled within the 24 hour window the email messaging itself states that you'll receive an automatic refund while in some cases (talking about plain vanilla all-AA metal), a refund request must still be submitted following the online ticket cancellation.
Old Dec 9, 19, 11:26 am

This is from an award ticket booked today

Huh, I stand corrected. I think this must be a fairly new flow, because I remember it looking the same as the revenue ticket flow last time I cancelled an award back in September.

As an aside, since you have to call in to get your miles back anyway, it's generally better to just call anyway since if you wait to call until after the PNR has been reclaimed the agent will have to create a new fake trip/record in order to request the refund. It goes a lot faster and easier if you just do it all at once when you decide to cancel.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
Indeed, even on revenue tickets that are cancelled within the 24 hour window the email messaging itself states that you'll receive an automatic refund while in some cases (talking about plain vanilla all-AA metal), a refund request must still be submitted following the online ticket cancellation.
Yes, I just did a within-24-hours cancellation today and realized that this was why I was confused--it's not the web flow but the confirmation e-mail that still says that you'll automatically get a refund if you cancel within 24 hours. The web flow does say you should call in but then is contradicted by the e-mail.
Old Feb 6, 20, 6:43 pm

I did it today as well. Wanted to change my return flight. Called and canceled and within 15 minutes my miles were back in my account.
Old Feb 7, 20, 6:40 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
This is one way that Unitedís IT is way more user friendly. You can cancel and request the refund from the reservation instead of filling out a separate request for every ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: