Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

JAL / JL Itinerary change on AA award ticket - Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum

Used AA miles to book one way RDU - HAN April 1 ( 2 tickets, business). Routing was RDU-DFW-NRT-HAN. JAL has now changed airports, flying into Haneda. There is no way we can get from HND to NRT in time - and when I check availability - nothing available. Before I start calling around - are there any options? There are no award availability on AA showing for business. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Desirees
Used AA miles to book one way RDU - HAN April 1 ( 2 tickets, business). Routing was RDU-DFW-NRT-HAN. JAL has now changed airports, flying into Haneda. There is no way we can get from HND to NRT in time - and when I check availability - nothing available. Before I start calling around - are there any options? There are no award availability on AA showing for business. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
So you had RDU-DFW-NRT-HAN, and that has been changed to RDU-DFW-HND then NRT-HAN?

You have a couple options:

1) If you want to stay on JL, call AA and ask them to work with their JL liaison to open up space via another gateway to NRT, most likely ORD-NRT. AA cannot force JL to open space, however with all the NRT/HND shuffling that JL has just started, I'm guessing they are working to rebook lots of passengers just like this, so it should be a familiar request. This will take a good agent, you might have to HUCA a few times, do not be surprised if a few agents just say there's no award availability, they can't switch you, blah blah. Again, HUCA.

2) If you don't mind switching to AA, then ask AA to change you to their service RDU-DFW-NRT-HAN. This should be much easier to accomplish.
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
So you had RDU-DFW-NRT-HAN, and that has been changed to RDU-DFW-HND then NRT-HAN?

You have a couple options:

1) If you want to stay on JL, call AA and ask them to work with their JL liaison to open up space via another gateway to NRT, most likely ORD-NRT. AA cannot force JL to open space, however with all the NRT/HND shuffling that JL has just started, I'm guessing they are working to rebook lots of passengers just like this, so it should be a familiar request. This will take a good agent, you might have to HUCA a few times, do not be surprised if a few agents just say there's no award availability, they can't switch you, blah blah. Again, HUCA.

2) If you don't mind switching to AA, then ask AA to change you to their service RDU-DFW-NRT-HAN. This should be much easier to accomplish.
JJeffrey Thank you. Called them - no luck. Apparently JAL is saying the connection is possible - which is just not....guess I keep calling.

Last edited by Desirees; Dec 6, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
JJeffrey Thank you. Called them - no luck. Apparently JAL is saying the connection is possible - which is just not....guess I keep calling.
It's absolutely possible. You have four hours between the flights. There is a direct bus from Haneda to Narita. Takes about 90 minutes.

Fun? No. But possible.
JDiver, peaches070 and seigex like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
With all the HND moves, getting to NRT from a non-gateway city after March will be a PITA. The only US Hub-NRT flights remaining will be JL LAX-NRT and AA DFW-NRT. In your case, you will have to ask AA to accommodate you on their DFW-NRT flight or rebook you via HKG on KA.. There is no JL operated flight that will get you to HAN without an airport change or three connections.
Desirees and peaches070 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's absolutely possible. You have four hours between the flights. There is a direct bus from Haneda to Narita. Takes about 90 minutes.

Fun? No. But possible.
Well I thought it was kind of fun. When flying from SAN to SIN via Tokyo earlier this year, With the SAN flight arriving at NRT, I opted to take the connection out of HND specifically in order to see a little bit of Japan out of the window during the bus transfer. The bus transfer was really easy (around $30 IIRC) and I was at HND less than 2.5 hrs after touching down at NRT. The bus offered free WiFi, but I was more then content to simply look out the window.

I need to get more worldly!
seigex likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Well I thought it was kind of fun. When flying from SAN to SIN via Tokyo earlier this year, With the SAN flight arriving at NRT, I opted to take the connection out of HND specifically in order to see a little bit of Japan out of the window during the bus transfer. The bus transfer was really easy (around $30 IIRC) and I was at HND less than 2.5 hrs after touching down at NRT. The bus offered free WiFi, but I was more then content to simply look out the window.

I need to get more worldly!
Next time - do what I do and book a full day layover in Tokyo! I go into town, drop my bags at a locker in the train station, and explore before heading to the airport in the evening for a quick shower in the lounge and champagne before flying out!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

You all are almost convincing me not to change anything and just keep the flights as they are...
seigex likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
You all are almost convincing me not to change anything and just keep the flights as they are...
I believe the minimum JAL connection time when connecting at the two different airports is 3hrs. JAL suggests 3.5 hrs if transferring to a different airline.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

AA told me JAL is saying the connection is possible...we are traveling in J so hopefully bags will come out early - we rush out get into eh bus and then get to NRT the recheck bags security and immigration customs. Need visa? So much to look at...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As a "worst case scenario" you can definitely keep the flights as they are and you will still be fine. As mentioned there is frequent bus service between HND and NRT, its easy...

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

I would still try a few more HUCAs though before you give up. Try once or twice over the weekend and next week during normal business hrs.
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Whether the connection is legal or possible is utterly irrelevant. I would HUCA.

If they change a one hour connection to 8 hours, the fact that the 8 hour connection is "possible" wouldn't be a legitimate barrier to rebooking you on alternative preferred flights.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
AA told me JAL is saying the connection is possible...we are traveling in J so hopefully bags will come out early - we rush out get into eh bus and then get to NRT the recheck bags security and immigration customs. Need visa? So much to look at...
This thread in the Japan forum has tons of info for connecting between HND and NRT:
The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Perhaps it may help you to know that JAL flies from BOS to NRT. Would flying RDU-BOS-NRT-HAN fit your schedule?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

1) If you want to stay on JL, call AA and ask them to work with their JL liaison to open up space via another gateway to NRT, most likely ORD-NRT. AA cannot force JL to open space, however with all the NRT/HND shuffling that JL has just started, I'm guessing they are working to rebook lots of passengers just like this, so it should be a familiar request.
a familiar request — and a familiar answer. Any of us used to JL know that they will certainly say no to that. This is an airline for which ‘rules are rules’ and here, the rules say no change unless award space is available. You are absolutely right that JL RM could create such space if they wanted to, but unfortunately for the op and others in similar situations, the bottom line is that they won’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.