Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paris Protests AA Travel Alert and Options (Dec 2019)

Old Dec 3, 19, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Sorry, didnít see this posted anywhere.

I am due to fly out of Paris the 6th and there will be protests going on, which will likely affect travel. The AA app is showing a travel alert due to it. Is there any way AA can change my flight to fly out of London instead? AA customer support claimed there was no travel alert, though it shows on my app. Platinum status if that matters.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mcgow87 View Post

I am due to fly out of Paris the 6th and there will be protests going on, which will likely affect travel. The AA app is showing a travel alert due to it. Is there any way AA can change my flight to fly out of London instead? AA customer support claimed there was no travel alert, though it shows on my app. Platinum status if that matters.
The alert does show up at aa.com now, however if it was just posted then it's entirely possible it wasn't in the agent's system yet.

Reading the alert, it specifically says that you can't change your origin or destination city, so it might be a tough sell trying to switch to fly out of LHR, however it's definitely worth asking. I've had instances in the past where a good/sympathetic agent can work things beyond what is technically allowed.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
It says you can change your origin city or destination city further down in the alert... It's kind of confusing how is written and a bit unclear. I would call back.

"

Delay your trip

We’ll continue to waive change or cancellation fees to trips that include the listed cities for travel if you:
  • Bought your ticket by December 2, 2019
  • Are scheduled to travel December 5 - 7, 2019
  • Can travel December 2, 2019 and up to 331 days after your original ticket date
  • Wish to change your origin and destination cities
"
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
It says you can change your origin city or destination city further down in the alert... It's kind of confusing how is written and a bit unclear. I would call back.
Weird, good catch, yea at first it says you can't change O&D and then it says you can.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:08 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum

My wife and I were supposed to fly JFK-CDG on Saturday, spend a few days in Paris and then take the train to Nice for a conference I'm attending. After reading about all the transit strike info, we decided to change our flights and fly into MXP instead, taking the train from there. (It's actually a lot closer to Nice.) We both had to pay the change fee and difference in fares (my wife is Platinum Pro and I'm Platinum); I didn't expect we'd be able to get the tickets changed with no change fee charge. It was probably worth it in my opinion, as it sounds like things will be a mess in Paris for quite a while.

AGS
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
My wife and I were supposed to fly JFK-CDG on Saturday, spend a few days in Paris and then take the train to Nice for a conference I'm attending. After reading about all the transit strike info, we decided to change our flights and fly into MXP instead, taking the train from there. (It's actually a lot closer to Nice.) We both had to pay the change fee and difference in fares (my wife is Platinum Pro and I'm Platinum); I didn't expect we'd be able to get the tickets changed with no change fee charge. It was probably worth it in my opinion, as it sounds like things will be a mess in Paris for quite a while.

AGS
You should request a refund of the change fees, at a minimum. I would even ask for the fare difference.
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. Iíll call back and see what I can do.

Iím flying easyjet Thursday to Paris which Iím concerned will get cancelled. They are also canceling Eurostar trains so not sure how Iíll get to Paris if the first flight is cancelled. Though I have chase travel insurance on the flights and the Paris trip was booked with points.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:30 am

I was actually taking the Eurostar from London to Paris myself on the 8th and my train was cancelled. Eurostar isn't accepting any bookings from the 5th to the 8th. I looked at flying on the 8th and BA / Air France wanted 550$ one way. Easyjet wanted 200$ and like you I was concerned about easy jet cancelling. I ended up cancelling my hotel in Paris and decided to remain in London for the duration of my trip. If you do go to Paris be sure and allow extra time to get to the airport as there will be few trains and probably a great deal of traffic. I hope it works out for you!
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

The easyjet flight has been cancelled. Ha, time to figure out how to get to Paris now.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:24 pm

The easyjet flight has been cancelled. Ha, time to figure out how to get to Paris now.
Eurostar has opened sales for the train on the 5th of December as they now know how many people are striking. There are currently 3 trains available at $258 for economy one way. In your place I would attempt to change to London with AA.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Talked with a very helpful AA customer service rep, she changed us to a direct flight from Manchester to Philadelphia. Fare difference of $67 per ticket (waived change fee) which I am fine with since would have likely spent more trying to get to Paris and not sure of I would have been successful.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who offered advice, I really appreciate it!
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:38 pm

Talked with a very helpful AA customer service rep, she changed us to a direct flight from Manchester to Philadelphia. Fare difference of $67 per ticket (waived change fee) which I am fine with since would have likely spent more trying to get to Paris and not sure of I would have been successful.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who offered advice, I really appreciate it!
Thats fantastic! Glad you got it worked out. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Blue; BW Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
For others interested in options, ICE trains out if Germany are an option. ICE unions are not striking, but SNCF unions strikes may disrupt the lines in France. We swapped a LH bus and refundable flight out of FRA as the backup plan to ICE and Eurostar trains- Strasbourg to London.
Old Dec 4, 19, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by AGS View Post

AGS
Ot but for Paris to Nice (and reverse), flying is a far, far better option than trains. There are flights all the time (both AF and U2), cheap, fast, and NCE airport is extremely central (about 10 minutes drive to the city centre). From Milan, the Thelo train is indeed your best bet (3 daily).
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:29 am
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Ot but for Paris to Nice (and reverse), flying is a far, far better option than trains. There are flights all the time (both AF and U2), cheap, fast, and NCE airport is extremely central (about 10 minutes drive to the city centre). From Milan, the Thelo train is indeed your best bet (3 daily).
Thanks, already have the Thelo train booked from Milan to Nice, it did indeed seem like the best bet.

AGS
orbitmic likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: