Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP! I need xx EQ D,M,S / miles by date / EOY - 2019-2020 master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help! I need ....... by a certain date / the end of the year / to (re)qualify.
Earning status:
Link to AAdvantage status requirements page on AA.com
Link to AAdvantage status benefits page on AA.com

If you have not received a buy back offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

You must earn the requisite Elite Qualifying Miles or flown Elite Qualifying Segments in one calendar year as well as earning the requisite Elite Qualifying Dollar spend. That earns status for the remainder of the current and the following status years: earn during 2017, status persists through 31 Jan 2019. You must fly to earn; There’s no way to earn EQ instruments for yourself flying someone else or no-showing for a purchased flight.

You must earn the requisite number of Elite Qualifying Dollars. For the thread on EQD, see here.

See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Renewing status:
AA once used to offer "grace" if one was just short of achieving status, particularly if one was reachieving, by earning Elite Qualifying Miles or Segments; that hasn't been the case in recent years. Choices are:

1) Requalifying, but just missing the goal? AA has the buyback / renew / boost program, enabling you to purchase back status if you fall short of requalifying by stipulated levels.
2018 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program for Status year 2019.

NOTES:
  • Flights flown as marketed by AA (AA codeshare) earn as if one is flying AA. (It doesn't matter where one purchased the ticketed - the word "marketed" doesn't mean where you purchased the ticket.) But watch those Basic Economy fares!
  • Through flights with a single flight number such as MIA-PHX-SFO will count as a single segment and only earn miles as if flown MIA-SFO.
  • One no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage status within the qualifying year. (AA marketed / AA codeshares do count for this. This requirement no longer is in effect, but there is a minimum dollar spend requirement -MQD - as well as EQM or EQS.)
  • EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles, GiftMiles or the offer you get when buying a ticket or checking in.
  • If you were involuntarily rerouted losing EQM / EQS, you might want to read FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)
  • Two AAdvantage credit cards award EQM for high annual spenders: Citi Executive card and the Barclaycard Aviator Silver offer EQM at certain spend points, and the latter offers EQD offset. See your current card benefits for the amounts. (These are merely for status purposes, not Million Miler, etc.) Some Barclaycard Aviator cards also award EQD credit.
  • AA has introduced new "Basic Fares"; be aware of many restrictions.
Guide to AAdvantage elite status (requirements and benefits) on aa.com

Some links to resources and tools:
Use tools available (Google Flights, ITA Matrix by Google, etc.) to find flights for "mileage runs" or "segment runs" to complete status requirements. There are threads (and aa.com pages) that explain how many EQM you earn on AA and partners' flights

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)
Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"
Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)
Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable
Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)
Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum
Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum
Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum
Link to the 2017-18 thread.
For the 2016 thread, please see: ARCHIVE: 2016 "HELP! I need xx EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" master thread
For 2015, please see: ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread

The transaction date is what AA counts for account activity purposes, not the posting date.

Be aware of the difference between the kinds of miles we are discussing.

Those concerned about earning of retaining status are seeking Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) and / or Dollars (EQD), Segments (EQS) to earn in the current calendar year. For that or EQ Segments, see 2016 "I'll be short EQM / EQS for status this year?" & related status earning qq

Others are looking for Award or Redeemable Miles (RDM) which can be spent on various awards and earned in various ways - flying, buying, gifting and even using. Your account redeemable (previously occasionally called "prize-eligible" by AA) miles will remain usable for a period of eighteen months after your last account activity - this can be earning miles in any way, flying or even via using your AA-linked credit card, purchasing miles or renting a car with an AA partner, or using miles by gifting them, donating to charity. To prevent your account from lapsing, you must have account activity in the period of 18 months.

AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit.
The full AAdvantage Terms and Conditions may be read here, including information on earning, spending and reinstatement possibilities for lapsed miles.

A very few of the more popular ways of earning miles, other than actually flying, include:
  • using Barclays, CitiBank and American Express cards linked to AAdvantage; see the AA credit cards page here. There are several threads that can be found on this Forum using the Search function.
  • in the USA, signing up for AAdvantage Dining here
  • shopping via the AA shopping portal - read about and link to portal here (iTunes for a few miles)
  • buying, gifting or sharing AA miles - read more here
Print Wikipost

HELP! I need xx EQ D,M,S / miles by date / EOY - 2019-2020 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm about 6K short on miles for making platinum. I have the Citi Exec card and just today crossed the $40k spend threshold to get the 10K EQM. It'll take a few days for everything to post, but my statement closes on the 11th. Here's to hoping that it all closes in time and the 10K hits for this year and not next.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by CFM3RD
I just checked DFW - HKG - DFW on aa.com -- a bit out of my budget. Biz is $7k +

The challenge is I need by 12/31 -- I may have waited a bit too late.
Can you tack on a short Cathy/Dragon segment out of Hong Kong which might bring the fare down somewhat? I found that flying to Thailand via HKG was around $3K cheaper than just flying from the US to HKG direct.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:40 am

Need approx 5k EQM SFO/SJC/OAK to where domestic only?

Hi need 5k EQM (5250 EQM to be exact) approx to hit 150k EQM for the year.

any ideas on cheap mileage runs with turns from the Bay Area airports please before year end? Be nice to build a weekend away this weekend Friday back Sunday or Friday back Monday.

could also do from NYC airports... ideally I’d like these to be domestic only.

Last edited by kawoh; Dec 10, 2019 at 3:46 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kawoh
Hi need 5k EQM (5250 EQM to be exact) approx to hit 150k EQM for the year.

any ideas on cheap mileage runs with turns from the Bay Area airports please before year end? Be nice to build a weekend away this weekend Friday back Sunday or Friday back Monday.

could also do from NYC airports... ideally I’d like these to be domestic only.
Same answer as always, just use Google Flights, you can cover a lot of ground searching in only 5-10 mins. Set your dates to out and back whenever works, airline to AA only, and start plugging in cities.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Same answer as always, just use Google Flights, you can cover a lot of ground searching in only 5-10 mins. Set your dates to out and back whenever works, airline to AA only, and start plugging in cities.
No need to plug in cities, just tell google flights you want to go the USA and it will show you fares across the country.

NYC looks like around $800 for a weekend return in Economy, which would net you about the right amount.

Dallas (from SJC) in Business will also net you about the right amount and can be had sometimes for around $750.

Also, once you've found a city pair that looks promising, you can use google flights again to find you the cheapest dates on which to do the trip.

So, (a) use specific dates but no city to identify cities with good prices, and then (b) use a specific city pair and unspecified dates to find the best dates.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: American Gold
Need 2 EQS's for Gold status

Is $395 a good deal to buy Gold status for 2020 ?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
like all these things it's down to the value you put on them

If you think you'll get more than 400 bucks of benefit then go for it. If not then don't.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Don't know what your schedule looks like, but you could do a same-day roundtrip to Charlotte from CHS for $259. There may be better options, as well.

https://flights.app.goo.gl/QXjq7
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Just found same-day return flight options this weekend out CHS for $279, so I would pass on the buy-up
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How many flights do you expect to take? if you don't have status , would you pay for luggage and/or seat assignments which you might be able to get for free with gold status and , if so, how much?

If the saving is more than $395, go for it

I wouldn't be wasting a day taking flights just to save $116 (even less saving once taking into account any costs of getting to /from airport and parking (if applicable) )off of $395
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
It depends? What is the value you're getting out of Gold status?

Are most of your flights <500 miles with good upgrade chances? Are you ineligible for TSA Pre and really maximize the value of the Priority security line? Do you check bags? Would otherwise pay for MCE or exit row seats?

You already have Gold status, so you can look back at this year and see how much Gold has saved you and decide yourself whether or not $395 is a good deal.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:22 am

Currently $828 EQD short of plat. Have 1 trip coming up which was booked on chase portal. It's booked under fare D and I. Does anyone know if this will get special fare EQD or normal? Would like to confirm that if the fare is 792.56 and the taxes are 102.44, I would only receive $793 EQD towards my qualification, leaving me $35 short.

Would like advise as well if I should be asking AA for an exception of being just shy of EQD or if I should plan another flight at the end of the trip.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by crazyfrenchbiker
Currently $828 EQD short of plat. Have 1 trip coming up which was booked on chase portal. It's booked under fare D and I. Does anyone know if this will get special fare EQD or normal? Would like to confirm that if the fare is 792.56 and the taxes are 102.44, I would only receive $793 EQD towards my qualification, leaving me $35 short.

Would like advise as well if I should be asking AA for an exception of being just shy of EQD or if I should plan another flight at the end of the trip.

Thanks!
No way to know for sure if it will post by fare or distance. If the base fare + surcharges are $793 and taxes $102 then you'll receive $793 of EQD. You can always ask, however AA generally doesn't grant any exceptions now that they have been offering the buy-up offers to keep your status or jump to the next level.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:15 am

I'm 1.5k EQD short for keeping my EXP for next year. Based in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the last-minute flight options are not a lot, but I don't think that the boost offer will be less than 2k, so it might even be cheaper to take a flight to anywhere in the US for that amount. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:23 am

Just started my exec plat challenge and I need to spend 5k and travel 35k miles on Aa, JAL, ba, Iberia or finnair. Am based in the Midwest, ord is pretty easy to get to. Any suggestions on getting those completed as quickly as possible?

I have to complete this by mid March. Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.