Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticketed for 2 different AA flights on same day

Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

I have a situation where I am ticketed for two different AA flights on the same day (SAN-LAX-HNL & SAN-DFW-RDU). The SAN-LAX-HNL flights are the second half of my RT ticket for Thanksgiving, while my SAN-DFW-RDU flights are the first half of a RT ticket for a business trip. My question is any recommendations on how to handle the double-booking? Should I call AA and cancel the SAN-LAX-HNL flights or just be a no show? Is there an advantage to doing one over the other? Am I at risk of the computer somehow finding a double-booking and canceling both tickets? Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
AA will typically catch double bookings. Call to cancel the one you don't want.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, there is a high risk that one or both will be cancelled.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, there is a high risk that one or both will be cancelled.
There's no chance of both being cancelled.
Antarius and logicalrealist like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's no chance of both being cancelled.
Well I assume there’s a positive chance that they cancel ONE, and if it’s the “wrong” one, then OP is effectively in the same position.
But maybe AA is “smart” enough to cancel the older booking? (Not to say that would always necessarily be the “right” choice.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
OK, thanks I was leaning towards cancelling the SAN-LAX-HNL portion of the RT ticket. Does the timing of when I cancel matter? If I called them today to cancel the second half of that RT ticket, will it have any effect on the first half (HNL-LAX-SAN)?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
OK, thanks I was leaning towards cancelling the SAN-LAX-HNL portion of the RT ticket. Does the timing of when I cancel matter? If I called them today to cancel the second half of that RT ticket, will it have any effect on the first half (HNL-LAX-SAN)?
You'd wanna check what the one-way fare is before doing that.
JDiver and logicalrealist like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Why? I don't understand...I'm not looking for a credit/refund for the second half of the RT ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Why? I don't understand...I'm not looking for a credit/refund for the second half of the RT ticket.
They will probably reprice you to the one way fare as of today and charge you the change fee.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yes, but it depends on the fare type. If there is a discount because it is a roundtrip, you might have to pay more for the one way.
Canceling before the outbound flights could result in a recalculation of the fair that you would have to pay to keep the outbound.
Sometimes oneway tickets cost more than roundtrip tickets. I do not know about this specific market.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for helping with this.
What if I do not cancel the return portion until I have already completed the first half of that trip? I'm scheduled to travel the first half on Tuesday, so I cancel the return portion on Wednesday and then use the business RT ticket to travel SAN-DFW-RDU-DFW-SAN
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you're planning to use the outbound portion then definitely wait till after you fly it to cancel, otherwise you will have to pay the change fee and fare difference as mentioned above.

After you fly it, you don't even need to call AA, just pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it there.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that makes sense (sorry I probably should have provided a better explanation to begin with).
I will fly first half HNL-LAX-SAN and then cancel the return portion, and will use the full RT ticket for my trip to RDU & back to SAN. Thanks again!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
FWIW, the return portion you cancel should be available for use (if you need it) for one year from date of ticket issue (with change fee).
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:41 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
They may cancel the one you don't want canceled before the trip date. Best to just call and sort it out ahead of time than risk being put in a more difficult position of having to rebook something that may or may not have availability or a similar fare.
logicalrealist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.