Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you do a split ticket itinerary involving AA?

Old Nov 22, 19, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 75K AS, IHG

So I know the answer is no, but I'd save a nice bit of miles/money... How bad of an idea is it to do MEX-DFW on AA then buy a separate ticket on AS? I can either do a 2 or 4 hour layover version. The answer is it's bad I know, but how bad?

The MEX-DFW leg is nice and cheap, and I'm 75K on AS with lots of upgrade space available. So the flight back would be pretty low and net me some AS miles versus blowing a lot of Amex MR or cash for an airline where I don't accumulate miles frequently (e.g. DL or AA).
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I would only do this with an overnight layover involved, which can be useful if going to some of the really small Caribbean countries that don't have any service from major carriers (Saba, St. Eustatius, etc.)
leland likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From an international flight MEX-DFW 2 hrs on separate tickets would a (very high?) risk (all yours). 4 hrs less of a risk. Checked bags increases the risk (~time)
Just a matter of money vs risk. And consequences of not getting on the AS flight

AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc
leland likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I take that little fellow right out the printer, use a ruler to evenly divide the printed ticket properly, and then snip it right down the middle.
nk15 and roberto99 like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
I take that little fellow right out the printer, use a ruler to evenly divide the printed ticket properly, and then snip it right down the middle.
Or it could be folded over, press hard to make a crease and then use a knife to split.
enpremiere and nk15 like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is about your risk tolerance as you bear 100% of it.

Nobody here can tell you that 2 hours, 4 hours or longer is good enough as nobody can predict IRROPS ahead of time.

But, as a rule of thumb, I would overnight at DFW and if that really does not work, allow at least 6 hours to deal with anything that might go wrong.
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
I haven't before but I plan on doing this once or twice next year. Friends of mine have done it here and there. I don't think it's some "avoid at all costs" thing.

As others have said it's all about risk assessment and using as much info available to your benefit.

AA has had a recent historical cycle of way more delays during peak summer months, while being pretty good during other times of year. Flights later in the day are more prone to stack up of delays than flights early in the morning. Certain routes may be more prone to weather during certain seasons. Etc.

Personally I wouldn't do a 2 hour connection if there's an option for 4 or an overnight, but that's just me.
Old Nov 22, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
What's the price differential we are talking about?
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:24 pm

Should be ok - as AS 75k you can change/standby or even cancel at will..
leland likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 75K AS, IHG
$300-400ish, more if you value an upgrade on the longer leg (also have AS credits burning a hole in my pocket so there's that, too).

Unfortunately not sure I can do an overnight... Won't be checking bags, but given MEX and AA issues not sure it's advisable even with 4 hrs. Just about on the cusp of tolerable risk. Then again not like Aeromexico direct to to SEA or AA-AA is the safest bet either
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At 4hrs & $400, no bags and with AS 75K status I would do it. $200=no. $300=???
What is the on time performance history of the MEX-DFW flight?
After the later AS flight what are the options to get home?
leland likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Or it could be folded over, press hard to make a crease and then use a knife to split.
He can also use his hands to split it, the risk is small, he would have the whole night in DFW to redo it, if needed...
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
He can also use his hands to split it, the risk is small, he would have the whole night in DFW to redo it, if needed...
I think that the real question in this thread for the collective wisdom of FlyerTalk is lengthwise or widthwise?

Instead of splitting a ticket, what about retaining its original shape and instead, simply altering its form in the way of an origami swan? Much depends on the physical media being used and if the ticket was printed at home, at a kiosk or traditional stock.
Old Nov 22, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
If I am correct that 75Ks don't have to pay change fees, carry-on and Global Entry, I'd book the same day with 4hrs. If you hit delays, change it to the next AS flight for no fee. I guess just fare difference though which would be your gamble.

For getting to MEX, I would get to Dallas the night before (I am unsure if this is a r/t question).
Old Nov 22, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
I think that the real question in this thread for the collective wisdom of FlyerTalk is lengthwise or widthwise?

Instead of splitting a ticket, what about retaining its original shape and instead, simply altering its form in the way of an origami swan? Much depends on the physical media being used and if the ticket was printed at home, at a kiosk or traditional stock.
I understand, and most likely it should be an origami plane, but then again how does this address the OP's original request, which is to split the ticket? I think he is positive he wants to split it...Or I guess he can do this:
(origami plane with an MCAS problem)...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: