Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Qualifying Dollars - $500 short (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Qualifying Dollars - $500 short (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Question Elite Qualifying Dollars - $500 short (to merge)

Hello All,
I am new here and hoping for some guidance. I am 500 dollars short of Elique Qualifying Dollars to qualify for the Gold Tier of the AA program. Can anyone give me some tips how I can go about earning this before the year ends?
Thanks so much!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Gotta take a flight. But make sure the before tax price covers the $500 you are looking for.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Also make sure you understand the benefits of Gold status and that you'll have use for them next year. In many cases, especially for Gold, it doesn't make sense to spend any more or take extra flights etc. to get it.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Also make sure you understand the benefits of Gold status and that you'll have use for them next year. In many cases, especially for Gold, it doesn't make sense to spend any more or take extra flights etc. to get it.
agreed, and please make sure you have/or think you will have enough travel next year to make it worth your time and money.
granted, depending on how much your plan to travel, getting gold will at least save you on your baggage fees if you check luggage/and seat fees

I would also read thru the benefits of gold on AA.com
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You may want to look over the threads (and the Wikiposts at the top of the page)

What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

and

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I was just getting depressed reading this thread about how my newly acquired Gold status was not held in high regard, but then it happened! I got my first ever confirmation email that I had been upgraded to F from MIA-PHL. Maybe browsing Flyer Talk during upgrade window opening is good luck now? As nerdy as it seems I was excited. I have flown paid F previously quite a bit when Mrs. Pittie Pup has been along for the ride. But this is my first "complimentary" upgrade. So the moral of the story is to not lose hope my Gold friends!
fotographer, Spanish and MorganB like this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I've only flown two RTs since earning Gold and one segment of each of my 4 segment RTs, both to different destinations, has had an upgrade. So far, it's been worth it. To me, the free MCE seats are the real pay off. I just flew Airbus321s, 3 hour flights, in free exit seats with about five feet of legroom (10F, I think it was) because the jump seat was in front of me). Gold is worth it to me.
E55 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Looks like a late Friday night flight, right?

From what I've observed, there can be pretty good chances on such flights, even hub to hub, because it is too late for same day connections and most of the business travel is over for the week. Congratulations though!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Looks like a late Friday night flight, right?

From what I've observed, there can be pretty good chances on such flights, even hub to hub, because it is too late for same day connections and most of the business travel is over for the week. Congratulations though!
Thanks Marok! Using the insightful information shared on FT, I booked the last non-stop out in hopes of making the chances of receiving an upgrade greater. I figured a Friday late night flight was better assuming the rush of business travelers had subsided by that point. About 97% (full disclosure: made up %) is self spent leisure travel. I think that's what makes receiving an upgrade feel so rewarding. As it was my own money earning the ability to upgrade. I am a subscriber to the old adage, "Want first? Pay for first". So I never book Y expecting to clear an upgrade. I don't mind seeing my name at the bottom of the upgrade list.
Since this thread pertains to the perceived value of AA Gold status, I find the greatest value in the ability to choose preferred seating (elite designated seats included) and MCE on day of dep. Especially on day of travel, I find refreshing the seat maps reveals what I assume are MCE seats clearing upgrades and SDC taking place. Thus opening up MCE seats for me to move into more often then not. To me this benefit alone makes it worthwhile to hold Gold status. Priority check-in and boarding don't hurt either during busy travel hours and full flight loads either I must add.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
I've only flown two RTs since earning Gold and one segment of each of my 4 segment RTs, both to different destinations, has had an upgrade. So far, it's been worth it. To me, the free MCE seats are the real pay off. I just flew Airbus321s, 3 hour flights, in free exit seats with about five feet of legroom (10F, I think it was) because the jump seat was in front of me). Gold is worth it to me.
My sister is lifetime Gold, and secured (using 500 e-upgrades) upgrades for herself and traveling companion on two of four flights in August (SAT-LAX-SAT, missing upgrades on LAX-KOA-LAX, but they had MCE both ways). It’s certainly possible for a Gold (or Platinum) to score an upgrade on non-hub to hub, elite light, leisure travel or low demand time flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.