FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   PHL 5 hour layover; Admirals Club or quick city visit? (to move) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1996386-phl-5-hour-layover-admirals-club-quick-city-visit-move.html)

FinnRolo Nov 21, 2019 5:56 am

PHL 5 hour layover; Admirals Club or quick city visit? (to move)

I'm travelling next week DUB-PHL-LAS and will have a near 5 hour layover.
Is a short visit into the center city on the SEPTA (or by taxi if quicker) doable or should I just stick with the Admiral's Club?
If I do head in to the city for a flying visit, what are the best things to see/do in a couple of hours?
Would I have time, for example, to see the Liberty Bell?

Also, I'm assuming the incoming AA flight from DUB arrives at terminal A, but what is the most likely terminal for my departing flight to LAS?
Do all the Admiral's Clubs have shower facilities if I want to freshen up before my flight to LAS?

Thanks in advance.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 21, 2019 6:08 am

You'd have about 2.5-3 hours to do some of the historical touring, only you can determine if that's worth it. Some of your decision might depend upon the weather for that day. Unfortunately none of the PHL ACs have showers (as none of the LUS clubs do).

Pack1620 Nov 21, 2019 6:22 am

It's about a 15 minute Uber drive downtown and the historical district is right off 95 so it's an easy trip. I'd go do that if you've never seen it. You don't even have to go in anywhere to appreciate it. Just walking around Old City is a good time. Plenty of good restaurants and bars in that area as well if you want to grab a bite to eat/drink.

bchandler02 Nov 21, 2019 7:16 am

I'd probably make a quick trip downtown to the area around the liberty bell. Walk around for a few hours and head back. SEPTA or UBER will work. As said above, no showers in any AC at PHL. I think the minute suites has them for rent.

fotographer Nov 21, 2019 7:49 am

if you opt to go downtown.. I hear the Philly steaks are a must try.
(me, have not had one, but everyone else tells me)

Clark Casual Nov 21, 2019 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 31761692)
I'd probably make a quick trip downtown to the area around the liberty bell. Walk around for a few hours and head back. SEPTA or UBER will work. As said above, no showers in any AC at PHL. I think the minute suites has them for rent.

Yes, Minute Suites have showers, BUT the rate is $30 for 30 minutes.

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 31761798)
if you opt to go downtown.. I hear the Philly steaks are a must try.
(me, have not had one, but everyone else tells me)

Jim's Steaks. 4th & South. Excellent cheesesteak.

arlflyer Nov 21, 2019 8:15 am

Do it! Easy to go the touristy stuff on that time frame - take a car to the Rocky Steps then make your way down the Ben Franklin to Love Park and City Hall. Grab some food at Reading Terminal Market and then keep going to Independence Hall / Liberty Bell. Spend some time in the Old City and then a car back to PHL.

PHL Nov 21, 2019 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Clark Casual (Post 31761828)
Jim's Steaks. 4th & South. Excellent cheesesteak.

A cheesesteak comment was bound to happen when discussing tourist options for Philly. :) As a 30+ year resident of "PHL" (hence my handle), I would argue there are better ones that Jim's, but that's a discussion for a different thread and forum.

If you're on a budget, you can take the train into town for ~$5. It picks up at the airport(every terminal) and makes a few city stops: Univ of Pennsylvania, 30th Street Station (for connections to other regional and intercity trains), Suburban Station, and Market East Station. Get off at Market East Station(about 20-25 min ride from airport) to put you near the historic area. The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Constitution Center are a few blocks walk from the station, Old City with dining options a few blocks further.

Uber/Taxi can get you around conveniently as well, but of course a bit more money.

For a 3 hour Philly stop, I would recommend these attractions:
1.) Independence Mall (includes Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center)
2.) Old City for some good food and beverages. Restaurants abound to please every pallete.
3.) South Street for an eclectic vibe and interesting people watching, and the prior recommendation for Jim's Cheesesteak. If you don't eat red meat, you can get a Chicken Cheesesteak at Ishkabibbles, also on South Street. If you walk from Independence Hall area, down 4th street to South Street you will pass through a very nice, historic residential part of town as well (Society Hill). Once you get to South Street, turn left or right (or both) to explore a bit if you'd like.

These all keep you in the same general area (East side of Philly) and convenient to either take train back to airport or hop a ride conveniently since you're near I-95.

DCAFly Nov 21, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31761905)
Do it! Easy to go the touristy stuff on that time frame - take a car to the Rocky Steps then make your way down the Ben Franklin to Love Park and City Hall. Grab some food at Reading Terminal Market and then keep going to Independence Hall / Liberty Bell. Spend some time in the Old City and then a car back to PHL.

Exactly what he or she said. Reading Terminal is a must - there's a great donut place but I can't remember the name of it. I think they make killer whoopee pies as well. I'd take the train in if it were me - it's only about 20 minutes and bypasses any potential traffic issues.

enpremiere Nov 21, 2019 9:55 am

I hear that it's always sunny there. Just not the days when I'm there however.

wendyg Nov 21, 2019 10:03 am

Market Street East station has been renamed Jefferson Station. If you get off there, Chinatown is a couple of blocks away. SEPTA runs every half hour xx11 and xx41, takes about 20 minutes to reach 30th Street, and a few minutes more to reach Suburban Station and then Jefferson Station. The Reading Market is across the street from Jefferson Station. If you're going anyway, that's the station I'd suggest as it has the most stuff around it in easy walking distance.

Also worth noting: the Admirals Club in A-West (the international terminal) is closed for refurbishment. You have to use the BA lounge to the left after security. It's getting very crowded because it's not the biggest lounge and it's now catering for a *lot* of flights while the remodel proceeds. There are Admiral lounges in terminals B/C, etc.

wg

PresRDC Nov 21, 2019 10:07 am

You'd probably also have time for the Mutter Museum if the macabre is of interest to you.

Home | Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

TSparky Nov 21, 2019 10:24 am

Independence Hall, The Franklin Museum, Carpenter's Hall (1st Continental Congress), Christ Church Burial Ground (Franklin & other leaders of the Revolution), and maybe the Liberty Bell. IH and LB have reservations, which you need if you don't have all day to wait.

bchandler02 Nov 21, 2019 10:24 am

Good point on the clubs - A West is closed. A east is tiny. B/C is the main club, it is ok. F smaller but not as small as A east.

None of the ACs in PHL are that impressive.

nachosdelux Nov 21, 2019 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 31762361)
You'd probably also have time for the Mutter Museum if the macabre is of interest to you.

Home | Mütter Museum of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

+1. fascinating and well worth a visit.