Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft swap and agent refuse to cancel and refund

Aircraft swap and agent refuse to cancel and refund

Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I made a run at this earlier today because my 772 flight has been swapped to an A321 (domestic flight to MIA). Agent resolutely refused on the basis of equipment swap (there was an associated time change, but less than 1 hour).
Should I be taking this up with Customer Relations versus the regular reservations line?
HUCA. Ive had changes in the past when minor aircraft swaps happened or even less than an hour time difference, really just depends on the agent and their attitude.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCP2016
HUCA. Ive had changes in the past when minor aircraft swaps happened or even less than an hour time difference, really just depends on the agent and their attitude.
So far, 0-2. Agents were both surly and sour. I wonder if it's because all of these changes were loaded and causing them to be bombarded with calls. Either way, not helpful in the least, even when I referenced the CoC.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:29 pm

So far, 0-2. Agents were both surly and sour. I wonder if it's because all of these changes were loaded and causing them to be bombarded with calls. Either way, not helpful in the least, even when I referenced the CoC.
Try messaging AA on Twitter? They usually very helpful and nice
JonNYC likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made a run at this earlier today because my 772 flight has been swapped to an A321 (domestic flight to MIA). Agent resolutely refused on the basis of equipment swap (there was an associated time change, but less than 1 hour).
Should I be taking this up with Customer Relations versus the regular reservations line?
On a domestic itinerary, there's no contract language that entitles you to a refund or free change due to an equipment change. It's only for international. That's not to say that some agent won't play, but I think the hurdle for a refund on a nonrefundable ticket is fairly high. That said, you might need to get Customer Relations involved, I had a recent experience where I was charged a change fee I shouldn't have, and the agent/supervisor said she couldn't process the refund, so instead walked me through reporting the issue to CR.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's actually a segment on an international itinerary. Did reach out on Twitter and they confirmed it's OK to refund, so in process now.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I would think that the language in the international tariff was aimed at business class passengers when the airline was in the process of significantly improving the business class seating (eg, NGBC angled flats to flat beds). Perhaps it was the easiest way to incorporate the ability of these pax to change plans or cancel if the aircraft cabin was downgraded. But obviously it can be used (abused?) by all pax. Im surprised its still there, I dont think any of AAs main competitors offer this protection.
I don't understand why the language is there at all. If the class of service is no longer offered, then the passenger would be entitled to a refund anyway; I don't know of other airlines that have such language

That said, since it is there, then anyone who has an international booking is entitled to take use of it , regardless of the reasons for doing so
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't understand why the language is there at all. If the class of service is no longer offered, then the passenger would be entitled to a refund anyway;
I'm not talking about a downgrade in ticketed class of service, but a downgrade (non-technical usage) in the quality of the cabin. From expected flat bed to angle flat. You do that to people a lot and don't give them recourse, you're going to lose a lot of business. Obviously not really relevant now, but I suppose until the 763s are gone it's not difficult to argue the 763J cabin is not acceptable to the passenger who booked a flight on a 77W or 789, for example.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't understand why the language is there at all. If the class of service is no longer offered, then the passenger would be entitled to a refund anyway; I don't know of other airlines that have such language
I agree. I suspect this language will disappear (if it hasn't already) if more people try to use it as a loophole, such as a switch from an A321 to an A320, for example.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm having a similar issue right now. I have a flight upcoming from ORD-MIA-SKB (Caribbean) and when I initially booked it, the ORD-MIA leg was a 767. I upfared the outbound itinerary to first after booking and now a couple of days ago, the 767 was swapped for 737.

It sounds like this should qualify me to change to a different outbound flight combination, but I've been denied by 2 agents. Is this a case of mentioning the CoC to get them to honor the no-fee change?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by jvel
I'm having a similar issue right now. I have a flight upcoming from ORD-MIA-SKB (Caribbean) and when I initially booked it, the ORD-MIA leg was a 767. I upfared the outbound itinerary to first after booking and now a couple of days ago, the 767 was swapped for 737.

It sounds like this should qualify me to change to a different outbound flight combination, but I've been denied by 2 agents. Is this a case of mentioning the CoC to get them to honor the no-fee change?
So, when this was happening more often during the refits, I recall that the discussion was the CoC allows for a fee free refund or change +/- fare difference. It's not like a time schedule change where everything is free and even exchange for fare differences.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jvel

If it is an international journey , the international COC applies - may need to push the line to them on the COC and perhaps push to a more senior/experienced member of staff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.