Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is "miles for opinions" a scam or just really, really, bad

Old Nov 18, 19, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat

So get an email (promise 250 miles for first survey, etc.), sign up, answer massive amount of personal questions and get SORRY NO SURVEYS FOR YOU
Then, get an email saying I am eligible for (wait for it) massive 20 mile survey, click link and after MORE intrusive questions told SORRY NO SURVEY - what after email saying I AM qualified!!!!!

So look for way to disenroll - haven't found one yet (just found it sort of hidden) ---- what a farce
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
I've actually used this quite successfully, it definitely isn't a scam. Maybe my personal details fit their target audience well, I suppose it's YMMV.
Old Nov 18, 19, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Also had good experience with “miles for opinion”. However “Opinion Miles” is a waste of effort.
Old Nov 18, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have been with them for a year...
its hit or miss as to actually getting the survey.
Even though some surveys will ask you a bunch of questions.. leading to nothing..
some actually will come thru....

I, now.. just about delete all the ones that say its about 20 minutes or so... those have ended up being close to 40 minutes..

Ended up over the past year with quite a few miles... if I had the time, I could calculate the total miles I have gotten... .. no could not be bothered.
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:33 am

They're similar to the same ones for Amtrak, and other programs. They have a tendency (IMO) to be sneaky and send you an email stating you can earn X points for Y minutes of a survey. They then ask you a ton of questions, and then "sorry, no soup for you", or my favorite:
You'll get "qualified" and then instead of like 70 points for 10 minutes of your time (in the email) it's suddenly 10 points for 40 minutes of your time.
If you have nothing better to do, you can get points, but be prepared to waste a lot of time.

Again, my experiences may be different than others, but I just stopped doing them. eRewards seems a little better, although lately the survey results have been filled by the time I get to the app (30 seconds after getting the email).
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
They aren't a scam, but, I think it just isn't worth the time at all. It's almost like being paid pennies per hour of work.
deeruck, estnet, jerseytom and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I think the problem is the target demographic is filled pretty much instantly. Most people receiving these emails are from urban/suburban areas with relatively high incomes so the first X that qualify get the survey. Come in a little later and they need someone with a lower income from a rural area which most likely isn't anybody coming from Aadvantage.

I'd wager to bet some ridiculously high proportion of people trying to take these surveys have basically the exact same demo.
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
I agree with the poster above that this is basically paying out pennies. I did many of these a few months ago when I was 1500 miles short of an F award after being ripped off by the shopping portal. If you need to bridge a small gap and have no other way to obtain miles (or want keep your miles active), then this could be useful. For the most part, though, it's a horrible return on your time.
AA100k, IndyHoosier and estnet like this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I did it once when it was something like a guaranteed 1k bonus for initial singup, but now all I see in my emails are 50 miles per survey, etc. 50 or 100 miles is not worth 20 minutes of my time. I can earn more than that just by going to lunch (which I have to do anyway!) using dining for miles. Sure- 50 miles here, 100 miles there for a bunch of surveys adds up eventually but my time is worth more than that.
estnet likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 10:35 am

It takes a lot of time and doesn't cover the efforts. I had a similar situation: I wrote many replies and nothing. So I don't believe in these "honest surveys" anymore.
Old Nov 18, 19, 11:04 am

Location: Rarely in one place long. Vancouver, WA when that happens.
Programs: AA ExPlat, Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Dmd, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Glob, IHG Spire
I view it a scam. The payoff is tiny and the number of times I did the survey and got nothing was more than 50%. I will never bother again. Older white male must be the demographic they have lots of but still. Never again. Not a scam by definition but for me by outcome. Ditch them until they own up to time spent for (gasp) something like 20 ff miles. I have better things to do, like read FlyerTalk forums or hunt for good fares.
estnet likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, NH, Amex
I think at least part of it is that you have to fill out your whole profile first.

But even then you're really not getting much for the time invested.
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I get these invitations all the time and I’ve ignored them, not because I believe that they are necessarily a scam but that they’re probably selling your information to third parties who will inundate you with spam and most importantly, you will rarely see 250 miles posted to your account. I find it rather disturbing that AA would attach it’s name to such a sceme targeted at its best customers. But then again, nothing much surprises me these days with AA.....
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
I get these invitations all the time and Iíve ignored them, not because I believe that they are necessarily a scam but that theyíre probably selling your information to third parties who will inundate you with spam and most importantly, you will rarely see 250 miles posted to your account. I find it rather disturbing that AA would attach itís name to such a sceme targeted at its best customers. But then again, nothing much surprises me these days with AA.....
This
estnet likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Is "miles for opinions" a scam (Answer=NO) or just really, really, bad (Answer=YES).
luv2vacay likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: