Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change to Valet bag check & yellow tag Nov 2019 (nee Yellow valet bag check fail)

Change to Valet bag check & yellow tag Nov 2019 (nee Yellow valet bag check fail)

Old Nov 17, 19, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Exclamation Change to Valet bag check & yellow tag Nov 2019 (nee Yellow valet bag check fail)

Flew on a crj today that required all pax gate check. I went up to the desk and asked for a tag and the agent immediately went to hand me a red tag. Didnít ask my status or seat ( I was in f) and I had to correct him

i said I was exp knowing the new rules gave me a yellow tag. I intentionally didnít mention my f seat

he looked at me and said ďso, what does that meanĒ

i dug deep and informed him of the new rules. He had the balls to stare at me and say ďIíve never heard that but you probably know more than I do. Doesnít matter though, all bags get off at the same timeĒ

i got the yellow tag but yet another customer experience fail. And yes sir it does matter what color tag you have. My bag was second off the aircraft

im leaving aa in 2020 for delta but Iíve had more bad gate agents on aa than I care to count.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador, Uber Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
And yes sir it does matter what color tag you have. My bag was second off the aircraft
Maybe there is a change to the baggage processing that comes with the policy change on the yellow tags, but in my (relatively limited) experience, the yellow tags don't usually get special handling. In most cases, I observe them following LIFO (last in, first out -- meaning, the earlier you drop your bag off, the later you pick it up).
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
On the inbound flight the yellow tags were first out and on my flight they were first out

prior to the rule change the yellow tag was reserved for first class and ck. Ground crews should prioritize yellow tags
Old Nov 17, 19, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Here's the rule change the OP is referencing:

IAHtraveler, seigex and Geordie405 like this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
Here's the rule change the OP is referencing:

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1...979107328?s=20
How does one get a group 1 BP and be eligible if they werent in J? I don't understand the "regardless of class of travel".

The new boarding groups handled the need for this verbiage.
Old Nov 18, 19, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you learn something new every day here
Old Nov 18, 19, 6:51 am

Programs: AA CK
As seems to be the case with many new AA guidelines, FT readers seemingly know more than many AA agents.

This sadly isn't all that unusual in many businesses (if people don't read emails or don't take/comprehend training, they don't know)... but you'd think those in a customer service capacity would be trained on things like this.

The good news for AA is that a small % of their passengers are FT members, so they can do things which are against the AA policies and most people won't have a clue.
Old Nov 18, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
How does one get a group 1 BP and be eligible if they werent in J? I don't understand the "regardless of class of travel".

The new boarding groups handled the need for this verbiage.
I think you are reading too much into a poorly worded sentence. I believe the intent is to say that CK and EP will get yellow tags even if they are in Y. I don't think this message intends to grant additional people access to Group 1 or change the Boarding Group process.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:37 pm

IME, the yellow tags have only been useful when transiting CLT.
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chris8796 View Post
IME, the yellow tags have only been useful when transiting CLT.
Agreed. CLT is doing a great job with prompt returns of Valet tagged bags, both yellow and red.

Our new hometown (SBN) has a small AA station (2x daily CRJ-700s to DFW and CLT) and is generally a well run station. The only area where it falls short is delivering Valet bags. They deliver them into the terminal and it appears as though the person tasked with delivering them also helps unload checked bags before bringing the Valet cart to the terminal door. Then it takes several minutes to bring them all in as they bring them in one at a time. Last week I had time to go to the men's room (a good 150 yards down the concourse) and get back and still ended-up waiting 5 minutes. The checked bags were already on the belt by the time the first person waiting for valet bags left the secure area.
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
Agreed. CLT is doing a great job with prompt returns of Valet tagged bags, both yellow and red.

Our new hometown (SBN) has a small AA station (2x daily CRJ-700s to DFW and CLT) and is generally a well run station. The only area where it falls short is delivering Valet bags. They deliver them into the terminal and it appears as though the person tasked with delivering them also helps unload checked bags before bringing the Valet cart to the terminal door. Then it takes several minutes to bring them all in as they bring them in one at a time. Last week I had time to go to the men's room (a good 150 yards down the concourse) and get back and still ended-up waiting 5 minutes. The checked bags were already on the belt by the time the first person waiting for valet bags left the secure area.
As a fellow SBN-er this is why I just check my carry-on when I'm coming home, with a Priority tag it has always been one of (if not) the first bags out while I regularly see people still waiting on valet bags.
Old Nov 21, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Doesnít help me much in RDU when all the valet bags come up the bag elevator at the same time. Luckily I rarely fly RJs, but this will come in handy on the occasional E145 into JFK or CRJ into PIT as thatís generally the only time I donít fly in Business/First.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: