Larger aircraft in Charlotte ?

Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Not a major thing, but AA starting using concourse A this week. They have 4 gates now, and I think will go up to 7. This will in theory allow another 40 - 50 flights a day.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
PHL is getting the 788 very soon if they dont already. So why not Charlotte ?

Once 767 goes away 787-8 will replace them in Philly, well, CLT may not get 787s at all, It maybe a base thing, Just like Miami doesn't get 787. Primary 787 bases in Order, DFW, LAX, ORD and eventually Phl.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:20 pm

Deleted

Deleted

Last edited by dallaspopo; Nov 15, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Was looking for details on CLT LH fleet improvements and found this thread.
BA used to fly into CLT with 772s, and Lufthansa have the A350 now to MUC, so aside from limited gate space, I can see no reason why AA arent (or cant) providing better planes when the A333s are finally put out of their misery.
Runway length isnt an issue. 18C/36C at 3048m is just about ok for an A380, but not by much (2900m requirement at max take off weight).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Fraser
Yep! I enjoyed my Envoy Suite on CLT-MCO-CLT this past week. Boarding was through 2L both ways with lots of surprised reactions from those in F and wondering why it was on this flight.

One of the biggest restrictions for widebodies at CLT is going to be that, AFAIK, only the D gates are widebody capable.
Actually they use the gates at the end of B as well, especially in the summer with all the seasonal flights to Europe.
Fraser likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:27 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by kc1174
Was looking for details on CLT LH fleet improvements and found this thread.
BA used to fly into CLT with 772s, and Lufthansa have the A350 now to MUC, so aside from limited gate space, I can see no reason why AA aren’t (or can’t) providing better planes when the A333s are finally put out of their misery.
Runway length isn’t an issue. 18C/36C at 3048m is just about ok for an A380, but not by much (2900m requirement at max take off weight).
There's nothing wrong with the A330-300. The runway length is not an issue either. None of the US carriers have any plans to add an A380 to their fleet, so it's unlikely CLT will see any of those. The issue is that CLT is not positioned to be any kind of big international hub. PHL is the basket where all the eggs are going. Just look at the exPHL routes that have been "upgraded" to a 787 and new routes that have been added there. CLT has been getting overflow routes to large Europe cities to supplement PHL during the busy travel months, but not much more.

I thought that the LH daily MUC nonstop would end after LUS/AA left Star Alliance. Guess I was wrong about that, and the business community in the region was able to keep it going. If GSP had the capacity to handle that flight, it would.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by la2clt
Actually they use the gates at the end of B as well, especially in the summer with all the seasonal flights to Europe.
Good to know! I'd hate to board a widebody down at those gates...when a few narrowbodies are arriving/departing at the same time it's congested enough down there!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by PHL
The issue is that CLT is not positioned to be any kind of big international hub. PHL is the basket where all the eggs are going. Just look at the exPHL routes that have been "upgraded" to a 787 and new routes that have been added there. CLT has been getting overflow routes to large Europe cities to supplement PHL during the busy travel months, but not much more.

Disagree. Not only is Charlotte positioned as an international hub, its currently used as an AA international hub for the Caribbean. I suspect CLT sees more Caribbean pax than PHL sees in Trans-Atlantic. TA is more glamorous and gets nicer, newer planes while CLT is stuck with LUS A321.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
Disagree. Not only is Charlotte positioned as an international hub, its currently used as an AA international hub for the Caribbean. I suspect CLT sees more Caribbean pax than PHL sees in Trans-Atlantic. TA is more glamorous and gets nicer, newer planes while CLT is stuck with LUS A321.
You mean MIA is the Caribbean and SA Hub. CLT happens to fall between MIA and PHL as an overflow for both cities.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
You mean MIA is the Caribbean and SA Hub. CLT happens to fall between MIA and PHL as an overflow for both cities.
That and it's not really about glamour. It's about the right a/c for the right job. CLT has a lot of domestic heavy routes and therefore lots of 321s. CLT like other hubs sees widebodies on trunk routes. MIA is a 763 on and off. I would imagine that once MIA gets the 788 there could be a turn to CLT (as well as PHL). CLT is primarily a domestic hub albeit less so than PHX.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
This is seasonal.
Correct! And, in the winter, there is slack in the international widebody fleet. During the winter, widebodies can be used on domestic routes and the time is used for heavy maintenance checks.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
CLT is primarily a domestic hub albeit less so than PHX.
AA carried 23MM domestic pax through CLT in 2019, and 14MM domestic pax through PHX.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by joeyE
AA carried 23MM domestic pax through CLT in 2019, and 14MM domestic pax through PHX.
I think newyorkgeorge meant that CLT and PHX are primarily connecting hubs for domestic traffic flows, although PHX is even more focused on domestic-domestic connections than CLT is.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think newyorkgeorge meant that CLT and PHX are primarily connecting hubs for domestic traffic flows, although PHX is even more focused on domestic-domestic connections than CLT is.
Exactly and other than trunk routes few domestic routes (SFO, MCO) see widebody service. It's just not in the cards for CLT or even PHX other than what's there now. However, both airports see sizable 321 service.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Exactly and other than trunk routes few domestic routes (SFO, MCO) see widebody service. It's just not in the cards for CLT or even PHX other than what's there now. However, both airports see sizable 321 service.
And even PHL's domestic widebody service, at least the volume of it, is as much a function of the number of widebodies that flow through PHL for TATL service—and whose utilization can be maximized through rotations on domestic routes—as it is the ability of AA to maybe fill those planes. If PHL didn't have a lot of widebody TATL service already, AA wouldn't be assigning 332s, 767s, 787s on daily or even multiple daily rotations to ORD, DFW, SFO, LAX, MIA, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.